First post Jackery

NazMan

Hello everyone!
I recently purchased a Jackery 3500 solar gen with (4) 100 w solar panels. Id like to charge my trucks batteries (RAM 2500 6.7 Diesel 4X4 with stock duel batteries) while powering my fridge/freezer and other essentials with the vehicle electrical system.
Im trying to find out what size/type of charge controller to purchase to do this efficiently and safely. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.
-NazMan

dstefan

Nope, not the right sub-forum. There’s a whole 12v/solar sub-forum in Expo. Lots of good info. Just run through the forum list if you haven’t found it already.

Reactions: WVI

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
I thought the Jackery had a built in charge controller? Isn't that what makes it a "solar generator?"

• Haha
Reactions: plh

OllieChristopher

I thought the Jackery had a built in charge controller? Isn't that what makes it a "solar generator?"

I'm thinking he is using the Jackery solar generator as aux power.

Id like to charge my trucks batteries (RAM 2500 6.7 Diesel 4X4 with stock duel batteries) while powering my fridge/freezer and other essentials with the vehicle electrical system.

If in fact you are using the Solar Generator for aux power and want to use your trucks batteries for powering up your "essentials", the charge controller simply has to be rated for the amount of solar input you plan on hooking up.

In the case of 4ea 100watt panels hooked together then a simple Victron 100/30 and a Blue Sea 7622 battery disconnect mounted somewhere under your hood. Some will say the Victron charge controllers are sensitive to moisture and temps. I have not found that to be the case. Under hood mounting is perfectly acceptable.

plh

Explorer
In the case of 4ea 100watt panels hooked together then a simple Victron 100/30 and a Blue Sea 7622 battery disconnect mounted somewhere under your hood. Some will say the Victron charge controllers are sensitive to moisture and temps. I have not found that to be the case. Under hood mounting is perfectly acceptable.

You are thinking the following --> 4 solar panels --> Victron --> Blue sea (here it splits) either Jackery or Vehicle batteries or both (or none) If I understand correctly.

I'm not familiar with all the Jackery versions - do they have 12VDC charging input capabilities?

OllieChristopher

You are thinking the following --> 4 solar panels --> Victron --> Blue sea (here it splits) either Jackery or Vehicle batteries or both (or none) If I understand correctly.

Only vehicle batteries. The Jackery is a stand alone solar generator with a built in charge controller.

Reactions: plh

plh

Explorer
Only vehicle batteries. The Jackery is a stand alone rechargeable battery with a built in charge controller.

Ah ok, you would do the power split before the Victron... 4x solar panels --> split input to Jackery Battery and Victron --> blue sea --> vehicle batteries

OllieChristopher

Ah ok, you would do the power split before the Victron... 4x solar panels --> split input to Jackery Battery and Victron --> blue sea --> vehicle batteries

Would it be possible to stay on track and not change my words and use confusing statements? Not funny when a member is trying to get some help.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles