First post, and my 4-door flatbed XJ

FlatwaterCustom

Greetings Expedition Portal

I had a brief email exchange with a forum member a day ago regarding a vehicle which I actually have for sale. He asked if I was on Expedition Portal, but I was not. I used to be pretty active on a few forums before the great Photobucket debacle. I suppose it's time to venture into the online vehicle modification world once again.

The vehicle which brought this all about is my rendition of a 4 door Jeep XJ pickup. I have seen the various chop-top XJ versions that have been done, and I can see it being handy in certain cases. But I want all the seating capacity, plus a load bed of some sort, not sacrifice the seat belt mounting points for a 30 inch bed.

Its been done a few times using Comanche parts, but I find those examples to be terribly long, the rear area of the cab never turns out well, and if you have a good Comanche, it's better to leave it as a Comanche anyway.

Additionally, at least in Nebraska, if you change the vehicle configuration, you need to retitle it with a state issued VIN. At my last reading of things; if the bed is integral, it's a utility vehicle. But if the load bed is separate from the passenger cabin, it's a truck. You can modify a vehicle, but if you change the configuration or if you remove any major panels, it's an assembled vehicle, and it needs a new VIN. I went through that whole process for my 4-door j-truck. I wanted to stay away from that, but remain completely legal on this unit. An XJ is a utility vehicle, so it cannot have a separate load bed, and I needed to retain all the major body panels.

So that's what I did.

I moved the factory steel tailgate forward to roughly the seat belt mounting points. I built an upper subframe which became the base of the flatbed and the home of the center drawer. I built rear frame rail extensions, stretched the wheelbase 21 inches, and built storage boxes at the 4 corners of the flatbed. Sort of Aussie trayback conversion style.

Obviously by cutting the unibody, the structure would no longer conform to the factory parameters. And there is no realistic way to match what they did calculate. The only real option is to overbuild a few areas to guarantee (as much as possible) the safety and strength of the assembly. That is the other half of the rationale for the roof rack. It is the new structure of the rear half of the body. I will try to add some photos of the rack from the top as the thread goes on.

Long intro, more later.
Thanks for reading along!

Attachments

• IMG_20191003_122128.jpg
    IMG_20191003_122128.jpg
    605.5 KB · Views: 155
  • IMG_20191003_121755.jpg
    IMG_20191003_121755.jpg
    689.3 KB · Views: 157
  • IMG_20191003_121803.jpg
    IMG_20191003_121803.jpg
    704.1 KB · Views: 151
  • IMG_20191003_121758.jpg
    IMG_20191003_121758.jpg
    703.5 KB · Views: 138

FlatwaterCustom

I appreciate the enthusiastic first reply!

I've copied/pasted a chunk of text below that will explain some of my thoughts and philosophy.

WHY – I built this because I have always felt that the US manufacturers totally missed the boat on the mid-size 4-door pickup market. They built some – but they were all weird-shaped, weird-looking, independent front suspension garbage with too much motor and not enough simplicity. Dodge Dakotas, Chevy Colorados (or those really rare and weird 4-door S10s) Ford Exploder, etc. At least the Fords were kind of square for a while.

Only the Jeep XJ family was the right size, with a simple inline 6 and a solid front axle. But they never gave us a 4 door pickup. And the 2 or 3 4-door Comanches that have been custom built are a mile too long and the doors/rear cab area always turn out like crap. And the handful of chop-top XJs are cute, but the rear seat (seatbelt) mounting areas are destroyed, so there is little gained and a lot lost on those units. The Toyota HiLux 4 doors are great, but try finding one in the states. As a Jeep lover – and a person smart enough to know how common XJ parts are – that’s most of the WHY behind this particular machine. Simple, relatively rugged, inexpensive to fix, repair parts are EVERYWHERE. This would make (and is intended to be) and excellent extended-range travel/expedition vehicle. Taking all the stuff you want up into the most remote campsites. Smaller than a full size truck, more capable than most anything else in it’s size range. Similar to the new Gladiator – at 10% the price, and way less expensive to operate/repair. I don’t think you have to look very hard to come up with a lot of really good reasons to have a vehicle that helps you stay a long, long, long way from people for extended periods of time.

Attachments

• IMG_20191003_121809.jpg
    IMG_20191003_121809.jpg
    716.4 KB · Views: 62

FlatwaterCustom

I'm most gratified at the reception so far. It's nice to feel like people actually 'get' what you were going after when you undertake something that is so far from 'normal'

I've got a few photos from the construction phase that I will add.

Attachments

• _20180913_090357.JPG
    _20180913_090357.JPG
    35.7 KB · Views: 61
  • KIMG0349-fXo4Q_aAS719g5cyBtHOmsdL2uHMOcCsdn64eLYKXHfJnSs9g_28elKB7QSCaOc-wSZuyXZwRyOoMk4UHZPLz...JPG
    KIMG0349-fXo4Q_aAS719g5cyBtHOmsdL2uHMOcCsdn64eLYKXHfJnSs9g_28elKB7QSCaOc-wSZuyXZwRyOoMk4UHZPLz...JPG
    758.9 KB · Views: 61

Smileyshaun

Observer
Thinking outside the box is a great state of mind to live in , I did something kinda similar to a cj5 adding a small bed to it and stretching it out a bit unfortunately life and time got in the way and it was never fully finished . You have a awesome build going keep the pics coming !!!

FlatwaterCustom

Found another shot in my phone showing the stacked 2x6x.125 rear frame rails. And the outriggers for the rear shackle. The long aftermarket shackles have been replaced with stock units. The stretched wheelbase eliminated the need for any of the angle shims and transfer case drop brackets and such. Plus the Jeep had a bit of a rake to it due to the shackles.

Attachments

• _20200612_112046.JPG
    _20200612_112046.JPG
    174.7 KB · Views: 41

FlatwaterCustom

The pictures were older, so I figured I would update the front bumper photos

Attachments

• _20200617_203954.JPG
    _20200617_203954.JPG
    133.6 KB · Views: 34
  • _20200617_203923.JPG
    _20200617_203923.JPG
    88.5 KB · Views: 33

Battle

I saw this on Craigslist and thought "what is this abomination" until I looked at the closer and realized you did a really good job with the thing! It's super rad for sure! I'd rock it if I had the money.

FlatwaterCustom

Early last week I had a party interested in buying the flatbed Cherokee. After a comedy of errors including flat trailer tires and bonzai runs into the big city without plates, just as the fellow agrees to a deal, the front brakes start binding.

Ok, here's your envelope of money back, I will drop you off at your pickup. Ugh.

After replacing calipers and making sure everything is good, I've been driving it around this week and more this weekend. An interesting (?) thought occurs to me, and finally takes shape.

Now, maybe every XJ I have ever dealt with has been on the higher-miles, more-worn-out scale.
But for as hurried or maybe as *cheap* as an XJ feels to me on the highway at 70... They seem infinitely more suited and more confident doing 60 on dirt and gravel.

I think I would enjoy this unit much more if I was always driving it on dirt, gravel, etc. It's much, much better at that, and I am betting they all are.

Attachments

• _20200628_170209.JPG
    _20200628_170209.JPG
    87.6 KB · Views: 12

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94

Members online