First Panam Journey in an Electric RV? Check out "Route Del Sol"

shade

Looks like they're big on social media, but not so much on the technical side when it comes to their vehicle. I tried to learn more about their van on the site, but was bombarded with YT & IG links.

It's an interesting idea, and I can see it working for people with an open schedule. I hope whatever needs fixing on the van gets sorted.

AbleGuy

Officious Intermeddler
Hey, here’s one of these solar campers you can actually buy today in the US!

And coincidentally, this rig is built by one of the sponsors of this Route Del Sol project this thread is about.

100 mile range (per day?)

Crazee Man, Just Crazee...

01E70D3C-FAAD-49A6-94F8-E856DB7C2574.png

Last edited:

Dan Grec

Expedition Leader
I messaged these guys once while they were still in Alaksa.. I *think* they said they can get 30 miles of free range per day from the sun.

It's an interesting trip for sure, no doubt the future.

Imagine driving around the world without spending a cent on propulsion. My dream.

-Dan

Pilat

Tossing ewoks on Titan
Hey, here’s one of these solar campers you can actually buy today in the US!

And coincidentally, this rig is built by one of the sponsors of this Route Del Sol project this thread is about.

100 mile range (per day?)

Crazee Man, Just Crazee...

View attachment 558311
It says "100 mile range". But I suspect that is on the battery pack when fully charged (with the level 2 charger). I doubt those solar panels are even close to enough for a 100 mile range per day.

Edit: It actually says further down "up to 30 miles a day from the sun".

Pilat

Tossing ewoks on Titan
I messaged these guys once while they were still in Alaksa.. I *think* they said they can get 30 miles of free range per day from the sun.

It's an interesting trip for sure, no doubt the future.

Imagine driving around the world without spending a cent on propulsion. My dream.

-Dan
TBH, at that range, I'd rather use my bicycle (and a little solar panel for the phone and other electronics) for a much larger daily range. Okay, it takes a bit more effort, but I like to ride my bike anyway.

Dan Grec

Expedition Leader
TBH, at that range, I'd rather use my bicycle (and a little solar panel for the phone and other electronics) for a much larger daily range. Okay, it takes a bit more effort, but I like to ride my bike anyway.

Sweet, I'm happy to hear your opinion. You're all set to ride to Argentina then!

...let's be honest, these guys are really driving to Argentina right now, and you're not riding your bike to Argentina right now.
So while the bike is good in theory, they're doing the most important thing.

They're actually doing it, and proving that it really does work.

-Dan

Last edited:

Pilat

Tossing ewoks on Titan
Sweet, I'm happy to hear your opinion. You're all set to ride to Argentina then!
Never been to Argentina, but I have been to plenty of other places on a bicycle - including crossing Australia. It's not that hard.

...let's be honest, these guys are really driving to Argentina right now, and you're not riding your bike to Argentina right now.
So while the bike is good in theory, they're doing the most important thing.
What a stupid response. You act like no one else have travelled. And they aren't only using solar - they charge their vehicle. So, no, I'm not currently travelling, that doesn't mean I haven't bicycled for thousands of miles with an average per day way over 30 miles.

They're actually doing it, and proving that it really does work.
They are charging their vehicle with a level 2 charger,giving them a hundred miles range. The solar can only provide "UP TO" 30 miles/day. Add in hills and cloudy days, and you'll be lucky to get a third of that. And keep in mind that they can't drive while charging with the solar, because if they do, they can't place the solar panels optimally. So, even on full sun days, they charge one day and run the next. That's already halving the claimed range.

I think you should look up "bicycle touring" if you think it's impossible to go anywhere on a bike.

shade

Given what I saw from the first few minutes of the last video Christian posted, Solarrolla better have something better than the Pan-Am boys to promote their business.

I was surprised to see how cushed out the camper appeared. At this stage in solar powered EV travel, I expected a much lighter, stripped down experience.

Pilat

Tossing ewoks on Titan
Again: That solar panel roof will have to be extended to provide anything near that. And that means you can't drive at the same time (and it needs to be pointed right). I think it's a bit disingenuous to claim that many per day when you realistically have to stay in place to charge, and then drive. I guess if you could drive at night you can make "up to" that every day.

Realistically, you need one day for charging so you can drive the next day. So even with the best circumstances (constant sun and the ability to point that huge array constantly at the sun), you are only able to drive those "up to" 100 miles every other day or so. Or maybe drive the 100 miles (well, "up to") before dawn and then sit still while there are daylight (and constantly move the panels etc.).

Keep in mind that the solar panels not only take up the entire roof, they glide out to provide more area (and therefore more power). That alone can be a problem depending where you park it.

Dan Grec

Expedition Leader
Given what I saw from the first few minutes of the last video Christian posted, Solarrolla better have something better than the Pan-Am boys to promote their business.

I was surprised to see how cushed out the camper appeared. At this stage in solar powered EV travel, I expected a much lighter, stripped down experience.

It's obviously not perfect, but clearly it's good enough to make the trip, which is awesome.

We also have Charlie and Ewan riding up on electric Harley's and a Rivian pickup.

These kinds of electric vehicles are only going to get better and better over the coming years, and it's not a question of if they'll be ideal for this kind of adventure, it's just a question of when.

-Dan

Pilat

Tossing ewoks on Titan
Yep, they are at a stage where they still can't compete even with a bicycle. It will become better, no doubt. So far, I'd rather take my bike, and if anything serious happens, it can be thrown at the back of pickup quite easily.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles