First of many (I hope)...

joelwho

Adventurer
Hi all!

My sons (ages 7 & 10) and I just returned from our first BIG cross-country adventure... A 3400 mile one, to be exact. We drove through half of Florida (with a stop at Florida Caverns State Park), the southern parts of Alabama and Mississippi, all of Louisiana, and the majority of Texas to reach our final destination of Big Bend National Park. It was an amazing experience. The boys had a blast. They've never seen a desert/mountainous landscape and I've never experienced such vastness. We were all awestruck. My youngest loved it so much that he asked if we could go to the Grand Canyon next year. So I guess I need to start planning! If Big Bend is on your list, don't hesitate. If it isn't, add it. You won't regret it
ehy7ujes.jpg

yqaduta3.jpg

Old Ore Road - Roys Peak Vista
da6e5any.jpg

ajyby3e7.jpg

su7u7u4y.jpg

zusehe4y.jpg

Old Ore Road
3esabera.jpg

y5ugu9as.jpg

Old Maverick Road
ysamujyj.jpg

Mule Ears Peak overlook
pu6y5eja.jpg

Santa Elena Canyon - The boys skipping rocks across the Rio Grande into Mexico
bu8umehe.jpg

On our way to Hot Springs
uvagyde4.jpg

u6uzapy7.jpg

THE best navigator. EVER! He never let us down
y5yjype4.jpg

Desert hands
e5e6u2u9.jpg

Video of Old Maverick Road to Santa Elena Canyon
http://youtu.be/ygGTa8PMD3c

Last edited:

jonny.jpg

Adventurer
Awesome. Whenever I have kids it'll be less technology and more if this. Awesome photos. Glad to see another X!

-Jonny

SpongeX

Rust does a body good.
Nice pictures. Looking forward to stretching my Xterra's legs again soon

Sent from my VS950 4G using Tapatalk

v_man

Explorer
Very cool trip , I don't even have kids yet and I'm already looking forward to taking them on road trips !

How did they do in the car ? Do you have the usual assortment of gizmos and ipads to keep them occupied.

I remember when we were growing up , it was books , cards , or stare out the window to stay busy... times have changed.

joelwho

Adventurer
V_man, the boys did great. Relatively speaking. There were a few fights, but that's to be expected. And only ONE bloody nose! Ha!

They played on their iPod 5, my Nexus 7 and read books. Also they kept a travel log. And did some spring break homework.

Over all I'm extremely pleased with the maturity they showed for being cooped up in a truck for back to back 14 hour days there and then back

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior