First night in the pop-up--Nederland, CO

tanglefoot

ExPoseur
Well I finally spent the night in the pop-up. My friends Colin and Kurt had the week off as well so we headed up the canyon to Nederland where the haul road for the silver mines near Tennesee Mountain leaves Peak-to-peak highway. The forest service has set up a backcountry campground there that I hadn't seen before. I think it's the most spread-out campground I've seen.

After exploring around on the roads, we found site #11 and decided it would do nicely.

P1010781-1.jpg

It sure didn't take long to set up.

P1010779.jpg

P1010780-1.jpg

Colin and Kurt insisted on bringing the food and I had no idea what to expect but I imagined it'd be good. My suspicions were confirmed once they flipped a few 3"-thick cuts of fillet mignion on the griddle.

P1010782.jpg

It was enough to drive this near-vegetarian temporarily out-of-bounds.

P1010783-1.jpg

The classic camp dessert followed:

P1010788-1.jpg

Colin had the great idea to increase the s'more gooeyness by pre-warming the crackers and chocolate.

P1010786-1.jpg

tanglefoot

ExPoseur
The chefs sure didn't skimp on breakfast either. I knew it best not to get too accustomed to this cuisine.

P1010792.jpg

P1010793.jpg

This sure is an amazing way to make coffee! I decided I like brew you can chew!

P1010798.jpg

Reckoning and chewing my coffee.

P1010791-1.jpg

Doing dishes in the camper is almost fun--much easier than over the dirt or on a rock!

P1010800.jpg

I had to snap a few shots on the way back out of the campground. I'm glad the exit wasn't too tough to find.

P1010802.jpg

P1010806-1.jpg

Kurt's JK was making it's debut on the trail. It also made a great jukebox for the Merle Haggard and George Jones.

P1010804-1.jpg

P1010803-1.jpg

P1010808-1.jpg

tanglefoot

ExPoseur
We didn't have a chance to see the mine remains this trip but here are some pictures from a previous one. I'll have to go back and check them out this summer.

Here's the Lonestar silver mine. It has unfortunately collapsed more since this picture was taken. I don't think the roof is still in place.

P1000542Small.jpg

A little bit to the East is the Champion mine and crusher.
Approaching the site:

P1000543Small.jpg

Some boilers.

P1000544Small.jpg

The crusher.

P1000549Small.jpg

P1000547Small.jpg

P1000550Small.jpg

Although the work must have been hard, the view was good!

P1000552Small.jpg

The non-OSHA-approved access.

P1000553Small.jpg

kcowyo

ExPo Original
You had me at Merle Haggard...

Great pics, tasty eats and good times! Colorado living at it's best.

:smiley_drive:

Maddmatt

Explorer
Looks like a great shake down trip - I heartily approve of the location, the menu and the kitchen kit.

and FYI - if you're going to perc. your coffee, just don't grind the beans so small - the grinder at the grocery store, or your coffee shop, should have a 'percolator' setting - if not just turn it to the biggest size possible.

Then it's all about the process - don't put too much water in - and don't let it boil over - that should keep most of the chunks out.

Then, if you still have chunks, a small, cold rock in the bottom of your cup should make the chunks settle - I don't know why, I just know it does.

Also, if you've already gone through a week's worth of pre-ground, pre-measured beans because everybody keeps coming over and asking for one more cup, and then you're using somebody else's beans that they bought pre-ground for a drip maker, ie; you have really fine ground coffee - you can line the bottom of the thing-you-put-the-beans-in (I don't know what to call that thing) with a paper towel. It will make a good emergency filter.

For me, the process of making coffee over the fire via percolator sets the right tone for the day- one thing at a time, slow and steady, attention to detail....good stuff :coffeedrink:

tanglefoot

ExPoseur
It is near where Magnolia crosses Peak-to-peak.

Wow--I'm completely new to the science of perculator coffee. I'll have to find my own and try experimenting!

Colin had the great idea to increase the s'more gooeyness by pre-warming the crackers and chocolate.

P1010786-1.jpg

I do this everytime. Warm melty chocolate blending with gooey melty marshmallow....MMmmmmm .... :1888fbbd:

If you'd like to kick it up a notch, consider these ideas.

1. I always use Cinnamon graham crackers <- winner everytime. I've converted dozens of fellow campers

2. I've tried using rasberry chocolate on several occasions. It's very tasty, but can be overwhelming and overpower the graham depending on the brand of chocolate and how much rasberry flavor it has. <- good sometimes. I've converted no fellow campers​

Ford Prefect

Expedition Leader
Nederland is one of my new favorite places. I did not get to spend much time there when I lived in CO, but right before I moved to Utah I found out about it. Wow that was beautiful up there.

Thanks for posting up

Cheers

18seeds

Explorer
It is near where Magnolia crosses Peak-to-peak.

Yeah looks like west Mag. My buddy lives on the other side of Mag. We camp up there at least once a year when we all need to get away from our SO's :wings: for a night.

There are some nice camp spots with some great views if you are willing to drive up. Most of the spots are down low.

BikerTrash

How does the 4runner handle the load? my 22r is pretty gutless on 36's but I have been thinking of going to some lighter, narrower tires and swapping in a OM617 to give it a little more grunt. I am getting tired of trailering it everywhere and I miss driving it on the road.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles