First mod to an LR4?

vasily

Adventurer
I think I know what most folks will say, but I'll ask anyway...

Thoughts on the first modification to a LR4? It will be our daily driver and primary adventuremobile.

A.J.M

Explorer
A good service of the engine, diffs, gearbox and transfer box oils and inspection of the rest of the car.

Make sure the car is 100% spot on before you spend cash on mods.

Personally, my first changes to a new car are a fresh set of wiper blades and new headlight bulbs.
For some unknown reason, despite Scotland being a wet country, every car i've got has had knackered wiper blades.
If it has xenon headlights, some upgraded xenon bulbs will make night time driving much better.

vasily

Adventurer
A good service of the engine, diffs, gearbox and transfer box oils and inspection of the rest of the car.

Make sure the car is 100% spot on before you spend cash on mods.

Personally, my first changes to a new car are a fresh set of wiper blades and new headlight bulbs.
For some unknown reason, despite Scotland being a wet country, every car i've got has had knackered wiper blades.
If it has xenon headlights, some upgraded xenon bulbs will make night time driving much better.

I didn't even know you could upgrade the factory xenons.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

aek50

Adventurer
Sliders depending how adventurous your adventures will be. See the disscusion about the low break over angle in the prior thread about doing the rubicon in a LR3. Lucky8's own design best in my opinion.

Otherwise the IID tool is key, then tires.

A.J.M

Explorer
Vasily.

I got my D3 in 2012, bulbs hadn't been changed since it was made in 2004.
Light output was terrible as the bulbs had dimmed over the years. I was down to only seeing the length of 4 white lines on the road.

I took the stock bulbs, threw them away and fitted a set of Osram Cool Blue Intense D2S bulbs.
At £120 delivered, not a cheap mod. One of the best mods I've done.

Light output is superb, the reach of light is so great, I never bother with high beams anymore.

Make sure the headlight face isn't dirty, or fading, and that the headlights are sitting at the correct height and you won't regret it.

GORM

Adventurer
I have LR3 ... I took on advice from this forum and was very happy with the choice and the order - I would not have changed anything except maybe getting ID Tool earlier (after tires). I am sure that this was suggested and I ignored it. I got rods used for $80 on ebay and then sold them a year later for $80. My mods in order of installation were (spread over 1st 2 years of ownership):

- 18" rims I do not know if LR4's come with 19" rims .. if so you have to ditch those first as there is nothing in off road tire in 19'
- Tires (KO2 265-65-18), great tire - makes the ride quieter and better fuel efficiency (not)
- FR Roof Rack - creates excellent wind tunnel effect and improves has mileage (not) but can carry a prius up there
- FR ladder - make note, non FR ladders may not fit under FR roof rack
- FULL SPARE - I can fit a well used 265-65-18 under my rover with a little help lying on my back and kicking into place)
- ID Tool - get the BT version, it is worth the extra $100 or whatever it is ... getting as gift is even better
- Dual Battery (DIY using a Blue Sea ACR - awesome and easy, getting through firewall was the PITA)
- ARB Fridge - total gamechanger - I grab 32 degree beer when I get home form work from the rover - something is definitely wrong with that

What's on deck? Rock sliders or hidden winch/ winch - tough choice. I'm in northeast so a lot of rock crawling and I already dented my gas tank.

Good luck - LR3 is unstoppable offroad

Not sure where I am in line, but somewhere behind everyone who suggested the IID Tool from GAP Diagnostics. Then tires, then the rest of your kit.

Look forward to seeing where you go with your build.

stevenmd

Expedition Leader
Depends on what type of adventures you like to go on. If it were me, sliders first no matter what. For some reason I always seemed to damage the sills. Some of the things mentioned here I would classify under general maintenance that you should do anyway. So if you are talking strictly about mods: 1) sliders, 2) front & rear recovery points (whether it be full blown bumper upgrades or or just hooks mounted underneath), 3) recovery gear, 4) tires, 5) you know this list will never stop, right??

Unless you're adding a RTT or have the interior already loaded with kids & dogs, a roof rack is cool to have but I can think of 10 other things to have first. Personally, I need a roof rack with 4 kids and 4 dogs.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FranklinDufresne