First Generation Tacoma Build

otis24

Observer
I would second frame reinforcement plates. I have a set from CBI as well.

I have an 03' Tacoma V6 4X4 TRD Offroad that I've had since 2012.

Somethings I've learned is keep it light and only mod it as you see fit. Don't go all out and get everything you can get your hands on right way. Build as much of it yourself as you can. Unless you have zero time and don't enjoy building stuff.

Some other things -
I've found 3 things that have made life much better. How to manage extra fuel, how to manage extra water and how to manage garbage.
-For the extra fuel I put a 19 gallon aux fuel tank from a 1990 Ford F-150 where the spare tire was. Now the spare lives in the bed on top the platform under the camper shell...this is a pain in the butt. A tire swing out might be better.
-For extra water I put a 10 gallon water tank under the platform with a pump. I set it up so the water gets filtered when it goes into the tank as well as out of the tank. I did this for trips to Baja so I don't have to worry about bad water as much.
-For garbage I just got a trasharoo. I put two bags in it....a black one for trash and a white one for recyclables.

If you have a lot of lift get used to rebooting CV axles and do the boot slide mod. That will extend their life. I carry a spare CV axle in my truck just in case along with all the tools to swap it.

Do the gray wire mod so you can use the locker in any mode if you have a locker.

I know with the auto transmission you can make is so you can use low range in 2 wheel drive. This is super useful if you make a sharp turn on a tactile surface. You can put it in 2 low, make the turn with no drive train binding and then put it back into 4 low.

If your truck does end up heavy consider doing the Tundra brake swap. I did mine like 2 years ago it's been fantastic ever since.

Where do you plan on putting your dual battery set up? Be careful of anything in the engine compartment...it's hot plus you can bend the supports and mess up things like your headlights. I have two batteries in the stock location and the main support is a little bent. My driver side headlight points at the sky. I need to relocate it and do a bunch of other stuff.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier