First Generation Tacoma Build

donjordan

I am currently building a 2002 Tacoma TRD with the V6 & 5 speed tranny. It has 74,000 miles, high-optioned, sunroof.
I am installing:
ARB front bmpr
Warn 8000 lb. winch with synthetic rope
Shrockworks rear bmpr
Camper shell with drawer system
Electrical system with inverter, dual batteries, isolator
Ballistic Nylon seats covers
ARB Air Compressor
I will post pictures when I return to Texas; I am currently in Alaska.
I want it to be an overland that is capable and comfortable.
Any advice or posts that I should read would be appreciated.

Dopesick

Does a bear..........
If you haven't lifted the truck, You're gonna need to do something about the front suspension with that bumper and winch on there.

Reactions: bkg

donjordan

Yes, I have a 4" Lift. My electrical plans include dual batteries, Blue Sea ACR, and the inverter. The second battery will be in the bed. I have 17" FJ Cruiser wheels with BF Goodrich 265 All terrains.

austintaco

Explorer
4” lift sounds excessive. You are probably more at 2.75”, unless you have a body lift as well. Sounds like you found a nice truck to build off of

austintaco

Explorer
I guess I have been out of the game. I thought the majority of kits for 1st gen Tacomas were under 3” unless you do some type of bracket lift which I don’t see on the road or off the road as much.

bkg

Explorer
I guess I have been out of the game. I thought the majority of kits for 1st gen Tacomas were under 3” unless you do some type of bracket lift which I don’t see on the road or off the road as much.

"bracket lift" is still a lift kit...

arctic04trd

What do you have for a lift? Is it a drop bracket kit then? I would opt for a mild 2"-3" lift on better shocks. Keeps COG lower and provides a much more comfortable ride on long trips (read cross country)

DaveInDenver

Middle Income Semi-Redneck
I'd recommend frame reinforcing plates. I've personal experience with the ones CBI makes, good fit, but there's others.

crout_taco_2_29.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94