First Gen Tundra - SPC ball joint insert pulled free of spindle

ToddIanuzzi

Just posting for some thoughts on a weird occurrence. I have a 2006 double cab with SPC UCAs and upper ball joints (stock steering knuckles). Yesterday the dog distracted me (problem I know) as I turned into a parking lot I drove over the corner of a curb, direct on at very low speed with the passenger side. I mean it wasn't ideal but it was by no means a violent event - I've had worse of forest roads.

I immediately knew there was a problem. At first it seemed the upper ball joint on the driver's side failed. Further investigation (after a tow home) revealed the ball joint was fine. The insert ring that goes in the hole I'm the spindle (steering knuckle) had simply lifted out of the spindle. It inserts from the top and is retained by a c-clip below (missing now obviously).

I see no other damage on either side. Lower ball joints seem tight (replaced under recall) when checked with a pry bar. It's so odd to me the problem was on the driver's when I hit the curb with the passenger side and nothing seems wrong with the passenger side at all. I throughly checked it all.

Is this simply a freak occurrence in that I may have lost the c-clip retaining ring at a previous date, and driving over a curb with the passenger side caused it to cant at just the right angle so the dang insert and ball joint lifted right out ad one?

I have new ball joints on order, and also new "upgraded" inserts from SPC that insert from the bottom and are retained with the ball joint castle nut on bottom and a c-clip on top vs the previous design that was held by a lip on top and c-clip on bottom. This design seems to be better at preventing this, also they are designed to expand in the spindle hole as you tighten the ball joint castle nut.

Do I just replace both sides with new inserts and upper ball joints, get it aligned and double checked, and chalk it up to a freak event?

I've heard of lots of ball joints breaking, but never the insert simply lifting out of the spindle. Any stories/theories/advice are appreciated. I just am a bit shook because I go very remote and rough places and ball joints are kinda critical.

Sorry for crappy pics. Thanks all.

Attachments

• 20221125_165907.jpg
    20221125_165907.jpg
    3.5 MB · Views: 32
  • Screenshot_20221125-185501_eBay.jpg
    Screenshot_20221125-185501_eBay.jpg
    502.3 KB · Views: 30
  • Screenshot_20221125-185355_Drive.jpg
    Screenshot_20221125-185355_Drive.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 31
  • 20221125_144423_resized.jpg
    20221125_144423_resized.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 32

Wisconsinite762

Compared to the instruction manual, it looks like your insert is upside down. Your flange is near the top whereas the instruction manual shows it at the bottom, with the clip near the top. Possible that could be it.

thezentree

pretend redneck
Compared to the instruction manual, it looks like your insert is upside down. Your flange is near the top whereas the instruction manual shows it at the bottom, with the clip near the top. Possible that could be it.

The older style inserts were installed with the flange on top and the C-clip on the bottom. That instruction sheet looks like it's for the new style.

OP can you tell what happened? Is the groove in the insert damaged like the clip pulled out of it? Or did the clip maybe break and fall out?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94