First gen Tundra cam tabs

KTempleton

Observer
So took the truck in today to have the alignment checked after noticing wear in a new set of tires with just over 1k miles on them. Took to a different shop than who previously aligned it.

They pointed out I have a bent cam tab and they could not align. Told me I'm pretty much up ******** creek and there's nothing that can be done.

I've done some research in other forums and facebook pages. Total Choas makes a cam tab kit but couldn't find anything from anyone actually using them. So I called Total Chaos and they confirmed that they will not work.

Next up I saw Marlin Crawler makes a reinforcement kit for the cam tab, crossmember and lower control arm. After more research it is just a brace and doesnt necessarily resolve this issue due to the tab already being damaged. That and the kit isnt in production for the first gen tundra yet but pre order is available.

Also have seen guys that said just hammer it back. And be done.

So here I am. Surely I'm not the first person this has happened to. I'm not a metal worker of any kind other than a hammer, saw and nuts and bolts. There has to be a solution for this somewhere though and not stuck with a wasted truck with under 150k miles on it chewing through tires.

Any help, tips or suggestions?20190916_123921.jpg

DaveInDenver

Middle Income Semi-Redneck
Did Total Chaos tell you why they won't work? Those are the best option right now for Tacoma/4Runner/FJCruiser but the Marlin ones look very promising. I'd have thought a 1st gen Tundra would similar.

If there's nothing else you could just have a welder gusset and reinforce them after hammering them back straight. The problem is they're already bent so straightening them just fatigues them more, so they're more likely to bend again and just a few repetitions of that cycle and they'll break off.

Last edited:

KTempleton

Observer
Did Total Chaos tell you why they won't work? Those are the best option right now for Tacoma/4Runner/FJCruiser but the Marlin ones look very promising. I'd have thought a 1st gen Tundra would similar.

If there's nothing else you could just have a welder gusset and reinforce them after hammering them back straight. The problem is they're already bent so straightening them just fatigues them more, so they're more likely to bend again and just a few repetitions of that cycle and they'll break off.

I guess it's a different design...?

I was wondering if the Marlin kit was the way to go. Having someone bend it back straight and put their kit on to reinforce it. Not sure if my logic will work but. At least sounds good in my head

tennesseewj

Observer
Have you checked with a collision repair shop? I can't imagine you're the first person to have ever bent those.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

aardvarcus

Adventurer
How does the one on the other side of the cam bolt look? They are usually in pairs, but only one of the two ever makes contact.

Take it to a competent welder. It isn't rocket science, you just need a hard stop for the cam tabs to push against. You could either reinforce what is there or remove it and add another piece of steel (thick flat bar) and weld it up appropriately.

smokeysevin

Observer
Mine are also a little sloppy, I planned to make a little brace and burn it in but since swapping back to the stock cams I have not had an issue with it.

Knock the tab straight, weld a reinforcement in and call it good.

Sean

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94