First Gen Taco transfercase overhaul rebuild

I have over 300,000 miles on my 2000 Tacoma and have a little noise coming from the input shaft bearing and plan on sending my transmission to Marlin Crawler for a rebuild.

The question I have is what have you done with your transfercase? After talking to Marlin and Safari LTD they stated that run it till failure or at this point in time replace seals (I have no leaks). The transfercase makes no noise shifts smoothly and has no issues that I am aware of. I just dont want to have it out and do nothing to have to pull it in a year due to issues.

Thanks for the input!!

Mike

1 Bored Clerk

Explorer
Well, I'd take Marlin and Safari LTD's advice as being solid. The transfer case is engaged so rarely in comparison to the transmission, anyway. Replacing seals doesn't seem like a bad idea though.

Side note: The manual transfer case on my 2000 tacoma was fantastic...the manual case in my 2007 FJ cruiser was terrible from day one. Fussy and sticky. So far, the auto case in the tacoma has been fine. Not as nice as the manual case that you have...but it goes in and out of 4wd fairly well. I'm not sure all these 'improvements' that have been made since 2000 have been very much of an improvement. :)

I was thinking the same thing with replacing the seals just wanted to know if anyone had done something differently. Maybe the chain or bearing that may be a issue and was replaced.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior