First Gen Sequoia Suspension, Anyone have some recent homework that I can copy?

Stick Figure

Observer
I'm inheriting my 2006 Sequoia back from my mom who has been driving it for a while now. Unfortunately I am getting it back because the rear bags are gone, the brakes are grinding and when I went to jack it up to see how bad the brakes were, the front left shock peed all over the shop floor.

I don't have any definitive plans for the Sequoia right now, but I need to come up with a plan to keep it from rotting away on the loading dock. If it ends up at over 7' tall, it would have to live at the shop since it won't fit in the parking garage at home, which is not a goal. Other than that I'm open to suggestions for anything that isn't ridiculously expensive or Rock Auto Economy level cheapness.

And because every thread is better with photos....

01015816.jpg

toastyjosh

Adventurer
or

or just buy some cheap moog stock replacement springs

Bilstein's for the front.

Stick Figure

Observer
or

or just buy some cheap moog stock replacement springs

Bilstein's for the front.
Thanks for the links! That gives me a much better idea of what I'm in for on the rear conversion without needing to tear into it first.

I'm actually toying with the idea of coilovers up front just to avoid the need for a spring compressor, but I'm still not sure how much i want to put into this project, or what I'm going to do with it in the long run.

I think I have a plan to fit it inside the shop within the month, so I need to start ordering parts soon.

toastyjosh

Adventurer
Look around for used tundra coil overs for the front, you can find people selling them used on tundra forums, MUD, and on this site.

phsycle

Adventurer
Looks like all rear coil conversion kits for the Sequoia, GX, 4Runner are the same. In which case, this is cheaper:

Or just get some replacement air bags on eBay and cheap Bilstein shocks and call it good for now.

ThePartyWagon

Talk to Josh @ 1stgenoffroad.com, he specifically deals with Tundras and Sequoias. He's a rad dude and can get you pointed in the right direction. 1stgenoffroad.com

I replaced brakes and suspension on my '05 when I picked it up. 2" OME coils in the rear with the Nitro Charger shocks with Bilstein 5100s up front on the 3rd notch w/stock coils. I might go with 2" coils in the front on the stock notch for a stiffer spring rate with a winch bumper in mind.

Mine is burning through front brake, need to sort that out, might do the lexus caliper/rotor upgrade next.

WASURF63

Adventurer
I went this route a few years back... https://expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/for-sale-2006-toyota-sequoia-sr5-4wd-sold.205034/
No rubbing at full lock either direction. No trimming or tubbing. Perfect combo of suspension, wheels and tires for a solid, well handling, quiet ride.
Kind of regretted selling it at this point. Have built up and liquidated ALOT of rigs over the years just to finance other ideas/rigs. I have a disease, as many others here do:ROFLMAO:

Good Luck! FYI, your signature is one of my all time favorite bands(y)

b16gsr

Talk to Josh @ 1stgenoffroad.com, he specifically deals with Tundras and Sequoias. He's a rad dude and can get you pointed in the right direction. 1stgenoffroad.com

I replaced brakes and suspension on my '05 when I picked it up. 2" OME coils in the rear with the Nitro Charger shocks with Bilstein 5100s up front on the 3rd notch w/stock coils. I might go with 2" coils in the front on the stock notch for a stiffer spring rate with a winch bumper in mind.

Mine is burning through front brake, need to sort that out, might do the lexus caliper/rotor upgrade next.

I would agree with this 100%. Josh is a great dude and a wealth of knowledge. I have now owned and built 3 of these trucks. I pieced together a half a** kit on the first one 04 SR5, ( SR5 with Bilstien front setup and a spacer rear)and then found Josh. I used his OME setup on my 06 SR5 that netted about a total of 3" lift and I ran a 307/70R17 on a 9" wheel with -12 offset and only had a little rubbing on the frame rail. I sold that truck and bought a 07 Limited, went cheap as I am no longer off the pavement. Ended up having one new bag on it so I replaced the other and did the fooler (https://www.tundrasolutions.com/threads/07-w-air-suspension-lift-level-question.150901/) and lifted the rear 2" and added the Rancho RS9000 quick shock 2" in front and matching R95000 rear shock. Did the Tundra Pro replica wheel with a 285. Makes a great daily.

Attachments

• IMG_1227.jpeg
    IMG_1227.jpeg
    3.3 MB · Views: 32
  • IMG_2042.jpeg
    IMG_2042.jpeg
    2.5 MB · Views: 32

Smileyshaun

Observer
Looks like all rear coil conversion kits for the Sequoia, GX, 4Runner are the same. In which case, this is cheaper:

Or just get some replacement air bags on eBay and cheap Bilstein shocks and call it good for now.

actually the sequoia uses A slightly different setup and doesn’t need the bottom isolator the coil bucket is already on there . I went with the cheap Amazon coil conversion and just tossed the coils that came with it and got OME coils , ended up being cheaper that way .

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94