First Gen Cummins, accept no substitutes

bondvagabond

Observer
Where are you in Oregon? We spend a ton of time there. I think the hardest part of trading my 80 for 1st gen will be losing the Dutch Bros sticker on the back window!

My buddy is chummy with the Dutch Bros. overlords. She did some efficiency evaluation stuff for them. I remember when I was a mountain bike racer when I was a teen, they would give away free cocoa at races. Very nice when it is 33 degrees and pissing down rain.

My wife talks ********** about them cause sugar in coffee is for wimps :chef:

bondvagabond

Observer
Even though the bolt pattern may match(6 bolt covers), each PTO is specific to each transmission/tcase, BUT, you MIGHT be able to call the mfr, and find a drive conversion/match...

Chase
I've heard it is 350 ish for the exact right pto box, less if you can just swap a gear. So worst case, it would be cost of used setup, plus 350 to make sure I got the right pto box for the transfercase.

My tentative new plan is to go for this used wormdrive electric winch, mount it on my truck, keep my eyes peeled for the right pto setup, an when I find it, swap the electric over to the wife's fzj80. That thing needs a winch to get us out of what the factory elockers get us into.

bondvagabond

Observer
use Geno's Garage for the manual. I think its around $100. for the factory service manual.
All they deal in is cummins parts and they are quality at an affordable price point IMHO. they also have some good tech articles about the common issues to look for.
I've heard the 93 manual is the one to get because it has the rebuild instructions for the Getrag. I think that is the year manual I'll get.

redthies

Renaissance Redneck
My buddy is chummy with the Dutch Bros. overlords. She did some efficiency evaluation stuff for them. I remember when I was a mountain bike racer when I was a teen, they would give away free cocoa at races. Very nice when it is 33 degrees and pissing down rain.

My wife talks ********** about them cause sugar in coffee is for wimps :chef:

They hire such nice barristas no? Besides being friendly as can be, they are usually on the cuter side of things too! Maybe THAT is why your wife talks ********** about them! I always seem to have my wife with me when I go for coffee. Probably safer that way:sombrero:

I should put some 1st gen back in this thread... My new to me '89 should be rumbling into town around noon today. I can't wait to drive one with the governor spring changed! If the trade goes ahead, I might be going for coffee alone though. Wifey said "You're going to get another stinky two seater diesel again aren't you! Is it blue, or worse black, or both?" (Yes, both) AND a 5 speed! (which she doesn't drive). I can hardly wait for the "discussion"!

Last edited:

bondvagabond

Observer
Just tell the wife that you need to add a winch and a bunch of other mods to add weight to make it ride more comfortably :ylsmoke:

Wow my power windows work way better with the new dual battery setup

Got the left rear tire patched for free at Les schwab.

Dug my hi lift out of storage, now can actually put a spare on if I had to, factory jack mia.

Scrounged a peace of thick wall pipe for my brush guard build, while out at my dads farm. Already had a heavy duty grill guard off an old Chevy that looks like it will work great, just need the pipe to make some vertical supports for it, and to mount some sort of rubber pushers

New glass for passenger side mirror, much easier to turn now with the canopy on. Need to swing by the car wash and pressure wash out the canopy so I can see out of it easier still.

If the guy is available I'm going to check out that winch tomorrow

bondvagabond

Observer
I should put some 1st gen back in this thread... My new to me '89 should be rumbling into town around noon today. I can't wait to drive one with the governor spring changed! If the trade goes ahead, I might be going for coffee alone though. Wifey said "You're going to get another stinky two seater diesel again aren't you! Is it blue, or worse black, or both?" (Yes, both) AND a 5 speed! (which she doesn't drive). I can hardly wait for the "discussion"!

We need picks of the new rig! The 5 speed is just so you can do your part to use less fossil fuels.

Need to fix my Ebrake, have to park on a steep hill at work, have nightmares about it roll starting. Crawled around underneath at lunch, figured out the passenger side cable is sticking, probably the shoe or the cable is rusted up, will take it apart and lube everything soon.

bondvagabond

Observer
By the winch of Thor, thou shalt not get stuck!

Went and checked out that winch yesterday. Ran great, It was only the 8inch drum version instead of the 11inch version, so only holds 100' of 3/8 cable instead of 125', but after holding the thing up to various potential mounting points on my truck, the 11 inch drum version would have only fit on the back/mid mount, front would have had to hang down an extra 4 inches to work.

Now to settle on a mount location. Decisions, decisions.....

There is a massive crossmember at the front of the frame, is that a possibility, or the frame rails that run the length of the truck the only option? I'd much rather have the weight in the rear/mid, and do what metcalf talked about on his rig, with cable running both fore and aft, but don't want to lose my frame mounted hitch, or negate the possibility of putting a Ramcharger 34 gallon fuel tank in the stock spare tire location.

Will get some pictures up soon.

Am in negotiations to trade for a fullsize bed slide with a 2500lb full extension capacity! That would be sweet with my bed cap, wouldn't have to slither to the front of the bed to get stuff anymore.

Really thinking hard about a way to mount a hammock diagonally, the more I think about it, the more I think this is the best idea for me to be able to sleep in the back, and still use the truck like a truck. maybe a rollbar in the front of the bed and a reversed rollbar in the rear? Just have to make sure they fit under the cap, maybe ones that are designed for suv's if a truck one doesn't fit. Just have to make sure they tie to the frame instead of the sheet metal.

Metcalf

Expedition Leader
With enough work it would be possible to rework the front crossmember below the radiator and intercooler to hold a winch upside-down. I think it would even fit behind the factory front bumper.

I ended up doing a VERY tight and high front bumper on mine and didn't want the winch to stick out farther than my custom bumper.

As soon as I get done with my Willys project I will be doing a few things on my Dodge again. Bottom line, it just works great as it is, anything else is just cream. I am still probably going to do the mid mounted with. There would be no problems mounting a rear tow point if it was designed right. The ramcharger tank probably isn't going to be compatible with what I have in mind. I am planning on adding another stock tank on the other side of the frame some day. I am going to try and dump the new 4" exhaust to the outside of the frame to help this happen.....

Good luck on your project.

My number one recommendation is crossover steering.

pulltilbroke

Adventurer
Looks like a great project.

If You buy a Service manual get the one for your model year. Dodge changed wiring a lot. The two closest year were 92 and 93. Also The voltage regulator on your 90 is factory, Dodge didn't start using the PCM to control Cruise,grids and charging system til mid year 91 and then even some of the IC trucks in 91 still had the factory VR. Also use the Blue MOPAR voltage regulator PN 3690731

If your truck has factory gearing it will be 3.55 more than likely

If you need the Getrag PDF let me know I'll sent it to ya.

bondvagabond

Observer
Pull till broke: thanks for the tip on the wiring differences between years. Would be great if you could send the getrag 360 pdf. That was the only reason I was thinking of getting the 93 manual, I heard it had that in it.

Metcalf: Part of me wants to wait till you are done with your winch mounting so I can "cheat off your test" I think we have pretty different needs though. Not as much rockcrawling for me up here in Orygun as you, so less worried about super tight bumper. mostly mud/snow/ in winter and some deep dusty washes in eastern oregon outback. would love to have the weight permanently in the rear to weight the rear tires, but up here in the mud belt, now that I think about it, should probably have easier access to the winch for cleaning. I am still young and foolish enough to want the winch up front, with the idea of continuing on after a winch worthy "stucking"

I am sure I want a second fuel tank and while I am sure I could figure out how to get the tank and winch to fit, I don't know how I would route my cable past the tank. My truck has a nice mandrel bent single exhaust down the passenger side that I don't want to fiddle with so that leaves factory spare tire location for the logical spot to put another tank. I'm a shipwright by trade, and have made some nice plywood and fiberglass diesel tanks for boats, it would be cool to make a custom tank for the factory spare tire holder area, with a tube through it for the rear mounted winch cable to get to the front:drool: I'd be chicken in a wreck with a non dot approved tank. I am going to make two custom water tanks outboard of the frame rails out of plywood/fiberglass. The missus loves to get lost on the back dirt roads in eastern oregon, and some of the neatest places have no water. Don't want to put a fuel tank in the bed, both for space considerations and because I do want to put a wood stove in there eventually.

If I go front mount on the winch, I will probably use some 3x4 angle iron and make some 6-10 inch extentions for the factory bumper and tuck the winch behind.

bondvagabond

Observer
Will stock hummer h1 rims fit

Will stock h1 wheels fit on my truck without recentering? I have found conflicting
Reports on the web. Some who've done it say works, just rubs a bit at full lock
Others say backspacing wrong, won't work. Kid I bought the truck from said it had three inch body lift, but has no body lift and an unknown amount of spring lift
Perhaps 3 inches? Not worried about tire height at all just the backspacing issue
Found a nice set of h1's for cheap, which would go nicely with my cheap cummins build if they will fit. Thanks in advance for any advice. I will eventually go histeer if that will help but it would need to be drivable stock for a bit

Metcalf

Expedition Leader
I'm fairly sure there will be an issue with the TRE and steering 'arm' on the knuckle. Basically the TRE ends up hitting the wheel. In some cases you have to trim OFF the factory tie-rod steering arm on the knuckles to get the H1 wheels to fit.

I am running 5" backspacing 17x9" wheels and LOVE them. I wish they where not heavy steel wheels, but they are rated for 3600lbs each.

The 9" wide wheel flattens out the tread on the tires nice, the 5" backspacing tucks everything back under the body. My 38.5x13.5x17 tires don't run on the frame or spring either lock to lock. My steering stops may have been adjusted by the previous owner at some point, but the truck still turns very tight. When I did my crossover steering conversion I gave myself a little extra steering angle capability.

I do with my rear axle was about 2" wider to match the front. Some day I will stumble on a disc brake 2003ish GM 14-bolt. If I had factory 4.10 gears it would be FAR easier since I wouldn't have to change the front ring and pinion....

One note. With the higher backspacing wheels and FACTORY style steering you will probably run into issues with the tire rubbing on the TRE at the pitman arm when turning hard right.

bondvagabond

Observer
H1 wheels

So will they only rub during hard turn with factory steering and lift? If I can gimp along with those rims till the next paycheck I can go high steer then, but need it drivable in between. I know several companies make humvee wheel friendly high steer kits

Metcalf

Expedition Leader
I'm fairly sure that stock H1 rims will not clear the factory steering arm and TRE on the knuckle ( the tie rod ). Basically the rim will not fit without cutting off the steering arm on both knuckles.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior