First freeze of the season

brushogger

Explorer
Tonight we are supposed to have our first freeze. It’s supposed to get down to 30 degrees with 20-25 mph winds. The next day and following week are supposed to be mild, so I really don’t want to drain and blow out the plumbing on my SMB yet. The tank and plumbing are all inside the cabin except for the low point drain and fill port. I was thinking about lining one of these with foil, mounting a pigtail socket inside it for a low wattage 12v bulb, and placing it over the low point drain valve and pipe.

Has anyone on here done anything similar, and if so, did it do the job?

MK13

I don't know if that will work in your situation but that's how my father used to keep the pipes under our house and the pump on our well from freezing in the winter in North Carolina. The house was an old farm house with just stacked rocks for a foundation and the well was really just a spring with a pump and he used light bulbs for heat and a little insulation to keep both from freezing. The lights were probably 100 watt or more light bulbs though.

Scotty D

30 is not nearly cold enough to freeze pipes or anything else.
Not a problem until you get down around 24 for a long night.

Pinnacle Campers

Chateau spotter
Agreed, we have had a couple 25 degree nights so far, no issues, its 60 during the day and only 25 for a couple hours in the morning.
I don't want to winterize yet because I still want to use it.
Put a cup with about an half inch to an inch of water in your center console and monitor it on cold mornings.
Gives you a good idea of when to start being concerned.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles