First Foray into 4Runners - My 1st Gen Build

Summit Cruisers Jr

1990, I was torn between a 4Runnerwith a camper raised roof or a YJ towing a trailer. 1997 I bought a 1987 4Runner with the aim of tossing the roof and building a camper, but my son, at 20 tears old wanted to buy it so............ that dream ended. Today I have the TJR with SquareDrop.

I am trying to decide why you are here, on an Expedition Vehicle Forum? I see zero about anything to do with the focus of this forum. Sure it is a very cool, well built 4Runner but there is nothing relevant to what guys here do. I'd love to see how you add food storage, sleeping, communication, route finding, but until you add those projects, stick to the forums which reflect your goals.

You have a very well built 4Runner, good "ie rust free" 4Runners are hard to find, I'd love to buy yours and follow thru with my 30 year old dream overlander.

I don’t see your problem. This is a build thread, but there are some pics of trips I’ve taken it on but not having 4wd up until a couple months ago has really limited what I’ve done with this thing. It’s a whole entire process and I figured some would enjoy seeing the work and thought that goes into an end result instead of just posting a couple pictures from some trips.

I just finished this part of the build and have been in the middle of moving to a new state and starting a new full time job. I can’t do everything at once, but if you want to see trips and expeditions, go look at my cruiser’s thread where I’ve driven it all over and built it out to be extremely comfortable on long distance trips with tons things that make living out of it on the road much more manageable. I actually had a 2 month trip to Canada and out west planned with it after graduation but that was canceled due to Covid-19 so I spent that time getting this vehicle built to a level where it can be built out for longer trips.

This thing will get there and likely be it’s replacement, but I had to get a lot of work done to even get it to where I can get it off road. It’s a 30+ year old truck that wasn’t running when I bought it. You can’t just buy it and use it for long distance trips, but it appears you’re of the just buy it mentality. Believe me, I’m itching to live out of it on the road.

But if this is all pointless I guess I won’t post about a future console and navigation system build, on board air system, electrical system upgrades, fridge mounting, poptop camper build, and more.

In regards to buying mine, haha get out of here and go build your own. It’s easy, I’ve already documented how to do it...so far.

Last edited:

Jrgunn5150

I'm glad you put the thread up here.

I just bought a first gen 4runner myself, and I'll be using it to flat tow behind my truck and camper, not for overlanding itself.

Which is fine, your money your build, my money my build.

Thank you for documenting it, I enjoyed reading it.

bkg

Explorer
I am trying to decide why you are here, on an Expedition Vehicle Forum? I see zero about anything to do with the focus of this forum. Sure it is a very cool, well built 4Runner but there is nothing relevant to what guys here do. I'd love to see how you add food storage, sleeping, communication, route finding, but until you add those projects, stick to the forums which reflect your goals.

Wow... just wow. Can I vote for the most irrelevant post of the year? :rolleyes:

Summit Cruisers Jr

No excuses... none... :D

Hahahahaha some people man

He’s just upset because 35s didn’t ruin your vehicle and it’s not stock so it can’t overland .

Yeah its a shame I didn’t just slap on an OME lift, an ARB front bumper, a roof basket with a hi lift mounted with quick fists (LOL), some rotopax, and receiver hitch mounted tire carrier. I would have been done so much longer ago.

Now the fun part begins...Getting this thing out and learning exactly how I want things set up instead of blindly throwing money and time slapping on generic overlandy things.

Summit Cruisers Jr

Back on topic, I spent a good chunk of this weekend out exploring some
Of rural Kansas south of where I’m currently living.

For navigation I used a mix of google maps for satellite imaging to get off the pavement and then Waze’s uncluttered interface to see where turns might be in the road and my internal compass to gauge directions.

For food and beverage storage I used my new center console to carry a couple drinks and the floorboard behind the driver’s seat to carry some Dot’s pretzels, rice crispies and extra water.

769E28A4-2129-4D5A-B94B-482FA5E8D5B8.jpeg

The suspension performed amazingly well soaking up everything from large pot holes, big train track crossings, and washboard. The increase in track width also had this thing feeling so planted at speed compared to beforehand. It was a great feeling knowing that everything under the truck mechanically was going to hold together, and it was surprisingly comfortable with the newer seats, sound deadened and quieted down interior. All my time chasing down rattles and squeaks really paid off.

Smileyshaun

Observer
Hahahahaha some people man

Yeah its a shame I didn’t just slap on an OME lift, an ARB front bumper, a roof basket with a hi lift mounted with quick fists (LOL), some rotopax, and receiver hitch mounted tire carrier. I would have been done so much longer ago.

Now the fun part begins...Getting this thing out and learning exactly how I want things set up instead of blindly throwing money and time slapping on generic overlandy things.

Ummmm what about a awning ?!?!?! Truly not a overlander ?

Smileyshaun

Observer
How could I forget the awning that optimistically might only be used 1 day a year!

Well you have to put it up every time you park so you have better lighting for filming showing Everybody how to make food on the trail and also to protect your pull out kitchen and sink from the elements . It’s like a flag For everybody to know your serious about overlanding .

kwill

Observer
This is 1985 when it was just car camping. I bought the first T4R in Austin. It is hard to see in the picture but the dealer removed the factory graphics and did some custom pin-striping, chrome wheels, brush guard, etc. Wish I still had it but after driving it for 14 years I had pretty much worn it out.
P69EJno.jpg

Summit Cruisers Jr

First 3k miles on the refreshed truck are in the books. I went down to Arkansas this past weekend and got in a lot of mountain biking and took my dad in the runner out on a fun 50ish mile route through the Ozark National Forest. I only took 1 pic of it on the trip but took some in the city a couple weekends back.

I really need to get an on board air set up going. I’ve been ruined by the York on my cruiser so I don’t want to spend more than 5 minutes airing up. I thought I was going to go down the power tank route until I realized how overpriced they are so I’ll likely be creating my own CO2 set up that I can leave mounted under the truck.

I also need to have my backseat and front door ABS panels cut out so I can start installing speakers and the powered sub. I don’t want to cut up my OEM panels so that’s all contingent on making new panels.

BEB77B19-D8CD-430C-9073-47D6ACA162C6.jpeg

D5AD4554-C92C-472B-A16A-2D08267AE5B3.jpeg

7DECC0EA-A149-4CB5-B527-9285844A9245.jpeg

77B1B064-5A2D-46D9-A701-82D1FE2CE76B.jpeg

Last edited:

Summit Cruisers Jr

have you taken it off any sweet jumps yet?

Not yet. I’ve been waiting on rear bumpstops to show up. They were “delivered“ yesterday to my street’s lockbox but I didn’t get them so I’ve been dealing with USPS to get the ball rolling on finding them.

Reactions: bkg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles