First experience with Defenders

Larry

Bigassgas Explorer
My wife and I took a vacation to Aruba last week and went on a touristy off-road trip to the other side of the island. The neatest part of the entire trip was the fact the tour company just got a fresh fleet of new Defender chassis cabs. Man, these trucks were cool! It was actually the first time I have been able to see a Defender in person let along brand new ones. The one we rode in only had 4,500 Km . They also just got in a few new Wrangler Unlimiteds and a few Mitsubishi L200s.

I wish we got these in the States! My wife gave me a hard time because I took more pictures of the trucks than the scenery. LOL
5614802072_cca83c6dc4_b.jpg

5614289307_44ef49fea3_b.jpg

5614406535_d979e4e1cc_b.jpg

Poor truck already had a bent wheel. The tires rubbed those goofy plastic fenders with every single bump in the trail. Those need to go!
5614994942_c7493a4fb3_b.jpg

And broken bolts in the Ute tray body mount. It was apparent they don’t hire the most off-road savvy of drivers.
5615662258_47896ce27e_b.jpg

5614521461_9ca21fb720_b.jpg

I wish all of these were in my driveway!
5614624541_6cd1254263_b.jpg

Ah, nice! A manual trans and manual transfercase. I doubt most Americans would even know what to do with those to levers. You can't hardly find a new American truck with a manual trans or manual tcase anymore.
5615380304_8f9d21d802_b.jpg

One of their new Mitsubishi L200’s. Very odd l@@king little truck it is but it was diesel power, with a manual trans and transfercase. That counts for some neato points in itself.
5614819960_52e0b19a40_b.jpg

At one point our driver made us a bit nervous as he jumped out of the truck and left the engine idling with only the park brake on. The scary part was we were parked on a pretty steep incline near a cliff edge with 9 people in the back. I don’t have that much faith in any park brake! I whispered in my wife’s ear to be ready to pull the seat belt lever for a quick bailout of it starts to roll!

Fun trip, neat trucks and the vacation wasn’t too bad either. I wish I could have brought one of these Defenders home as a souvenir :sombrero:

overlander

Expedition Leader
Thanks for sharing! My first ride in a Defender, and actually seeing one was in Jamaica on safair ride in Montego Bay. Awesome! I got mine shortly after that (although it was already in the plan).

Canol 109

Observer
the impact it took to bend that wheel like that had to be incredible. .25 inch thick steel

I agree...might be a knock-off though. There are some none genuine out there that look identical...however probably genuine...130 with all that weight...one big pothole...presto!

maxingout

Adventurer
I bent a rim driving off-road relatively fast on a track in Saudi Arabia. I hit a big rock and dented the rim. I just hammered the bend out of the rim and rebalanced the tire.

If I struck the same rock at speed with an alloy rim, it probably would have broken. That's why we ran steel rims in Arabia.

Paladin

Banned
At one point our driver made us a bit nervous as he jumped out of the truck and left the engine idling with only the park brake on. The scary part was we were parked on a pretty steep incline near a cliff edge with 9 people in the back. I don't have that much faith in any park brake! I whispered in my wife's ear to be ready to pull the seat belt lever for a quick bailout of it starts to roll!

I find the LR parking brakes to be very effective. Much more so than any vehicle I've had before. Not sure why.

DividingCreek

Explorer
I bent a rim driving off-road relatively fast on a track in Saudi Arabia. I hit a big rock and dented the rim. I just hammered the bend out of the rim and rebalanced the tire.

If I struck the same rock at speed with an alloy rim, it probably would have broken. That's why we ran steel rims in Arabia.

I could see hamering out a regular steel wheel but not one of the Wolf wheels- not without considerable heat

I find the LR parking brakes to be very effective. Much more so than any vehicle I've had before. Not sure why.

Probably because it grabs the driveshaft or something to that effect which breaks all 4 wheels and it doesn't use the same pads you wear out everyday to stop

evilfij

Explorer
I could see hamering out a regular steel wheel but not one of the Wolf wheels- not without considerable heat

I have done it with the back of an ax.

Also, Land Rover parking brakes, when in good order, will hold the truck well beyond the grip of the tires.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94

Members online