First camper build-Slide in Vs Flatbed??

Lost_Soul_Ryan

Ok so id love a little insight from people living out of their camper. I know the flatbed has a bit more interior room, but also see people go slid in with flatbed for more storage. In bed also is a cheaper route to start.

Now I plan to get a Shell so I can do the build out to what I need want. These are some of the companies Ive seen that sell just shells along with what they have starting prices at. Is there any other compaines I should be looking into.

Thanks.

Bison Overland
Flatbed 20000

Four wheel campers
slide in 13300

All Terrain camper
slide in 10000
Flatbed 14500

Phoenix Campers
Emailed

ericvs

I had a flatbed camper with the side boxes and IMO that can't be beat. The slide in campers really seem to reduce the total amount of storage that you have since your whole bed is taken up with a camper. You end up piling everything into your camper aisle. not ideal. It is def more $$, but I would highly recommend flatbed with a camper for the extra storage you gain.

Your camper list looks good, I have really been liking the Bison Overland stuff sure.

Make sure you check out sherptek for the flatbeds too, they are a bit more $$, but super light weight and very versatile.

Overdrive

Adventurer
If it's just you, a slide-in will work fine. It's when there's more than one person that the narrow isle becomes a problem moving about...flatbed def the way to go with 2 or more people.

Last edited:

cobro92

If it's just you, a slide-in will work fine. It's when there's more than one person that the narrow isle becomes a problem moving about...flatbed def the way to go with 2 or more people.

This really only applies I think if you are living out of it though. For multi-day or even multi-week trips I think 2 people will be fine in a slide-in design.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rruff

Explorer
On a slide in there's about ~48" floor width to play with on a fullsize. It really depends on who you wish to lay it out. The biggest difference is that a slide in needs a rear door, while a flatbed can have a side door. Mine is a flatbed, but I prefer a rear door anyway (big hatch).

Here is a ATC Panther shell for instance:
Shell-model-layout.png

If I wanted a factory shell I'd make the bed with wheel wells to get everything lower (lower CG). Get the cabover part close to the top of the cab. You can still have big storage boxes on the sides, above and below the bed.

Rando

Explorer
In my mind, the biggest advantage of a flatbed is the side door, which means you no longer need the galley layout with a clear isle down the middle. With more than one person in the camper, someone can be sitting at the dinette and someone else can be comfortably cooking at the stove or lounging in bed. You can enter and exit without squeezing past each other.

You don't get that with the slide in mounted to a flatbed. Of the options you listed above, ATC and FWC have been around long enough to have proven and reliable products. Hopefully Overland Explorer releases a composite flatbed model for mid-size trucks in the near future.

jadmt

ignore button user
not like you can get a new shell in any flavor anyway unless you are looking over a year down the road.

jadmt

ignore button user
I had a flatbed camper with the side boxes and IMO that can't be beat. The slide in campers really seem to reduce the total amount of storage that you have since your whole bed is taken up with a camper. You end up piling everything into your camper aisle. not ideal. It is def more $$, but I would highly recommend flatbed with a camper for the extra storage you gain.

Your camper list looks good, I have really been liking the Bison Overland stuff sure.

Make sure you check out sherptek for the flatbeds too, they are a bit more $$, but super light weight and very versatile.

looks cool but looks $$$$$

billiebob

I like a big dinette so I'd want a side entry, rear dinette, cabover bed. I'm a big guy, a senior, I need lots of space. But I travel alone or plus 1 plus 1 dog at the most. I'd do a deck with a cut out for the entry like an ambulance.

s-l1600.jpeg

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles