First build.....here we go

tacksman

Observer
Well, after many years of lurking we've decided to take the plunge. This is what $500 bucks got us.
We are starting with a used trailer, i'm told an old 4x4 body (any info would be cool).
I'll be towing this with a Subaru Outback so it will stay on the light side.
Any info or ideas are always welcomed.

Attachments

• 3Ke3Ld3J35I15N35H6ccad2389d6de24a197b.jpg
    3Ke3Ld3J35I15N35H6ccad2389d6de24a197b.jpg
    45.6 KB · Views: 28
  • ge.jpg
    ge.jpg
    37.5 KB · Views: 28
  • 3E63G63N55Ge5U55M6cca5db677accfb5122e (1).jpg
    3E63G63N55Ge5U55M6cca5db677accfb5122e (1).jpg
    30.7 KB · Views: 24
Last edited:

Wright

I'm in for the ride, where are you headed with this trailer?
Camper, utility, RTT, power, water?
I see lots of possibilities here.

tacksman

Observer
Thanks for the replies. As far as where we are heading, don't know...lol really just needing a "base camp" for camping and hunting.

fullmetaljacket

I'd say the tub is a Landrover, but havent seen one with the filler neck on the RHR

vuzudu6e.jpg

Last edited:

tacksman

Observer
Day 2

Removed and redesigned the doghouse. Cleaned the frame and coated it. Doesn’t seem like a lot of work in a picture, but somehow I was busy all day. After some investigating we learned that the alum tonneau cover had legs and was used as a awning for the cooking area, we'll post some pictures of it when new legs complete. The axle/leaf pack will eventually get removed and redone.

PC240015.jpgPC240016.jpgPC250032.jpg

skersfan

Supporting Sponsor
It appears that the front box is required for the strength of the trailer, I would be sure to attach it soundly to the front wall, weld if possible.

Looks like a great starting area, anxious to see how it goes.

tacksman

Observer
Agreed. The front is a nasty hack job. I've ordered the materials to redo the entire front end and completely remove the m100 hitch assembly. Anyone looking for one?...lol
The frame is going to get gusseted and bracing. Thank goodness I weld for a living, could be expensive.
It appears that the front box is required for the strength of the trailer, I would be sure to attach it soundly to the front wall, weld if possible.

Looks like a great starting area, anxious to see how it goes.

tacksman

Observer
Day 3

Some ingenuity, 5/8" Aluminum rod, and some TIG welding....and Boom! we have a use for the cover. This will eventually become the cooking area. I'll try and get some better photo's of the connections tomorrow.

Attachments

• IMG_1306.jpg
    IMG_1306.jpg
    354.5 KB · Views: 15

Chili

Explorer
I would assume the body is just an old random manufacturer utility truck body. Cool little trailer. I'm jealous of what you got for the money. The top was a little janky looking but I would roll that trailer for sure.

tacksman

Observer
I would assume the body is just an old random manufacturer utility truck body. Cool little trailer. I'm jealous of what you got for the money. The top was a little janky looking but I would roll that trailer for sure.
Thanks. I thought the same thing about it being a utility trailer, just the gas filler on the passenger side has thrown me off a bit.

Looks like it's coming along nicely.

On a side note, how you like the outback for expedition/travel stuff? I was going to get a 4runner, but now that I've got another little one on the way, the subi seems a better choice to do safety and mpg. I figure it will handle all I need it to until the little one is older and get out there for a little bit more serious stuff.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94

Members online