first breakdown !!

I am growing more afraid of all our modern systems and how useless they are in overland travel

I have tried to protect myself from this by carring the usual array of spare parts plus a spare ECU, engine sensors, and fortunately I was able to obtain the proper laptop/software (Mercedes Star) at a reasonable price.
And by deleting the EGR system. It becomes considerably more complicated with 07 and later vehicles.

Charlie

JRhetts

Adventurer
silly question - does anyone know if its standard OBDII (On Board Diagnostics II) compliant? If so where's the connection / socket?

Our 2007 FusoFM is OBDII compliant. We used it when we had what turned out to be a a transmission flurry, and the dealers we talked to confirmed the compliance.

Amesz00

Adventurer
easy solution to all of that nonsense is a mechanical diesel motor with a Racor separator and a good filter. :D

It will probably run on three wires, watch your gauges and you are fine.

i like this man's thinking!
clearly a 6BT cummins or OM366 merc would go real nice...;)

iandraz

Adventurer
Just to reiterate, I don't think Lehel has had any problems with the DPF....DPFs get a bad rap but really they are quite reliable, especially with the long drives and mountain passes typical in expedition travel that get the DPF really hot and burn the soot out. Usually the only time they are a problem is if you do a lot of very short drives and the DPF doesn't heat up enough to burn out the soot. In that case the engine has to do a active regeneration by injecting fuel into the exhaust to heat up the DPF and burn out the soot. Still not an issue cause the ECU takes care of things.

lehel1

Adventurer
front bumper

hello defenderbeam

aluminess is just about done with our new front bumper, ladders, motorbike rack and such. if all goes well i'll be heading down to san deigo to get it all install at aluminess mid next week, awesome.

then we will be getting everything ready for our trip to "overland expo" which is just a couple of weeks, can't wait ; )

we have got our underbed tool boxes and fenders mounted now, and found a great powdercoating shop in medford, oregon to repowdercoat our wheels. we did them in black this time and now i know what real powdercoating should look like, they look and feel bulletproof.

i do hope to get a writeup done on our trip last month to the desert and get some more pic's loaded sometime soon.

anyhow, we hope to meet some of you down at the expo

cheers lehel and laura

DzlToy

Explorer
DPFs have a deservedly poor reputation, they suck. Talk to anyone who owns a 08 or 09 one ton domestic truck. They dont work correctly, cause all kinds of other issues (plenty of stories from friends who use their full size trucks every day for work), and worst of all, they KILL fuel mileage...

So, somehow its ok to reduce fuel economy by 30-40% so you are using MORE fuel, as long as you have cleaner exhaust?? (I need the smilie slamming his head into the wall here)

sheesh, where did these people get their education??

Now talk to an 08-09 one ton truck owner who has done a DPF delete and ask him if his problems went away and his fuel economy went up anywhere from 3-7 mpg....

I betcha I know the answer...

4Rescue

Expedition Leader
WHEW!!!!! Glad to hear you got her back up and running w/o TOO much hassle. Nothing like having a highly specialized an somewhat uncommon rig go all wonky on you when you're nowhere near anything resembling a major city/dealership. Glad to hear you got her sorted w/o having to result to towing it 400+ Miles too eh ;)

Are you in Oregon mate??? If so we should get an "Oregon Contingency" to make the run to Overland Expo this year, kind of a web-foot caravan if you will, maybe stop and pick up others along the way down...Man I'm DREAMING of going this year and it looks as though I just might make it...

Cheers

Dave

Mickldo

Adventurer
I'd be wary of adding an additional fuel filter, especially if you are having problems with low fuel pressure already.

If it was mine I'd be replacing the filter with a better quality unit, probably Racor, to make sure I didn't lose the flow rate but but kept the same level of filtration or better.

lehel1

Adventurer
expo ?

hello dave

we are just south of the border along the klamath river hwy 96 (btween yerka and eureka)

love to caravan with others, let me know your thoughts ?

cheers lehel and laura

p.s. the consenses so far form fuso is adding a second filter system would be a good idea. the flow rates thru thru the stock and added filters should have no adverse affect on the rail pressure. more filter area means more and longer flow rates between changes. regardless we plan to change our filter or filters every oil change and this should take care of any future problems regarding dirty filters

gait

Explorer
finally found the ODB connector. My FG649 Canter is right hand drive, connector is visible when windscreen washer reservoir cover (below glove box) is opened.

Unfortunately only one wire connected to ODB connector, I'll track down the pin number later, probably earth. There's another connector next to it, quite different, possibly proprietary Mitsubishi diagnostics connector. About 5 wires.

More importantly, there are two wires, both with connectors. One is labeled "Memory Clear", the other "Diag Check". There are a couple of hints through google that these are useful when no scanner available. Combinations of undoing those two connectors can show the trouble code (flashing light(s) on dashboard - long for tens, short for ones) and clear trouble codes.

Looks like the sort of thing I should find more about.

billiebob

we called the dealer and were told to have the truck towed to a dealer, in this case 400 + miles over the seirra's to sacramento. they also told us that these new trucks have priortory software and only the dealer can work on the problem
This is why I swear the next vehicle I buy will be used and old enough to have a carburetor.
And in 5 years, Fuso dealer support will be gone.

oh wow and this thread is 10 years old.

"i could always get our old unimog running with the spare parts we carried and it never left us stranded."
There ya go.

Last edited:

cameronsturgess

We have a 2010 fuso. Try a blue driver obd reader (we had similar challenges). Resetting the code only lasts a short while until you fix the issue. Blue driver can both read and It can reset codes. You can also see your fuel rail pressure on it along with many other things that won’t show up on the dash.

Sorry you’ve had such challenges. It’s tough when the truck lets you down. Worse when the dealer network doesn’t help.

I’ve been meaning to add one of these http://filterminder.com/products/vi...uel-filter-restriction-monitoring-gauges.html. To our truck. It will tell you the health of your fuel filters.

Regcabguy

Oil eater.
This is why I swear the next vehicle I buy will be used and old enough to have a carburetor.
And in 5 years, Fuso dealer support will be gone.

oh wow and this thread is 10 years old.

"i could always get our old unimog running with the spare parts we carried and it never left us stranded."
There ya go.
I don't know about that. I had an '86 F-250 with a 460. Biggest POS I've ever owned. Gutless,lousy brakes and drank fuel. Two years later the same truck with EFI hauled ass,ran cooler and got much better MPG. Much better dependability. I had a '64 F-250 with a manual,292 low compression ratio V-8 and a manual choke. That was a simple 2 barrel carb'd truck. It also had the suicide gas tank behind the seat. My vehicle now is a 07 500 Ram 5.9 manual. I ordered it two months before the ******** hit the fan with emissions. it's been very reliable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94