First Bike Suggestions please!

Gatordoc

Adventurer
I Just passed the MSF Basic Riders Course today and am thinking about getting a bike in the near future. I took the course basically because I have been toying with getting a bike and wanted to get it out of the way while Uncle Sam is willing to pay my tuition. I have a little experience riding from about a decade ago when I was going to get my endorsement, but haven't even sat on a bike since then, so I am essentially a beginner as far as experience is concerned.

I'm working on selling my go-fast project car ('90 Celica GT-Four) and using the cash from that, my second job, and some of my tax return if I haven't found something by then, so I should have a budget in the region of 3-5k +/-.

Most of my riding will likely be on-road, at least at first, but I would like something that can handle gravel roads and two-tracks if I ever get the urge to go exploring or something. This is not a deal-breaker, however, as exploring backroads is lots of fun too.

I like the idea of a small dual-sport since I can see myself keeping it even after I outgrow it with respect to street riding.

Zero interest in a sport bike, I know myself and don't particularly need a dirt-nap anytime soon, thank you.

I have several friends and family who ride standards or cruisers and would like to be reasonably able to keep up (limited by my riding skills vice the bikes capabilities). Most of their bikes are big-ish street bikes.

So, to sum up, I am wondering what you guys would recommend from experience for a good general purpose, primarily street ridden first bike. Make is not particularly important (don't tell my dad I said that though!), but I am not exactly long of leg so I will need something low-ish; my inseam is 29-30ish.

I REALLY like the Triumph Scrambler, but it's going to be at the high side of my budget and I am a tiny bit concerned about it as my first bike. Thoughts?

Thanks Guys!

[edit] Oh, since this is ExPo, I'll add that I am not looking to take any cross continent overland trips or anything in the near future, so the bike being a suitable long term overlander is not a consideration. Maybe a weekend trip here or there, that sort of thing.

Last edited:

dirtysouth

Adventurer
KLR650, F650GS

Solid, lot's of upgrades, dead reliable.

+1. Any of the 650cc dualsport single cylinder bikes will hang with a Scrambler on the street and be better on a dirt road, plus you won't cry as much when you drop it. Remember, you will drop it in the driveway or the parking lot. Buy used, right now is a buyers market and you can score a nice bike for $3k.

alosix

Expedition Leader
Thanks for this post, was thinking of posting something very similar today. Thinking of getting a bike, similar situation, and similar bike need.

Thanks
Jason

luckyrxc

Observer
Bike

KLR650, F650GS

Solid, lot's of upgrades, dead reliable.

MattScott, that is just wrong. You just stole all my fire and now I'm out of ammunition. But I agree completely with both suggestions. And I think the KLR is the better suggestion of the two as your first bike as they are bulletproof, inexpensive, simple to maintain, and there's farkles galore.
If you choose a KLR, stick with a 1997 or later (or was it 1996 when they made the counter balancer improvements?). You can easily get set up for your budget.
But plan on $1,000 for ATGATT = All the Gear All The Time.
Get a good full face helmet, good boots, riding suit, gloves, etc.
Great move on taking the MSF course. After you get 1,000 miles or so under your belt, I suggest you take the advanced rider course as well.

Feel free to email or PM me if I can help.

Good luck.

LuckyRxc

Rexsname

Explorer
I'm in exactly the same spot. I've been looking (dreaming of) at the Suzuki 650 V-Strom. 95% street/5% dirt road.

REX

goodtimes

Expedition Poseur
But plan on $1,000 for ATGATT = All the Gear All The Time.
Get a good full face helmet, good boots, riding suit, gloves, etc.

X2

Don't be afraid to drop a couple C-notes on the counter in exchange for a comfortable, well ventilated, helmet. If you're going to try to save a few bucks on your riding gear, I suggest doing it on gear that protects something *other* than your melon.

Gatordoc

Adventurer
...Great move on taking the MSF course. After you get 1,000 miles or so under your belt, I suggest you take the advanced rider course as well.

Feel free to email or PM me if I can help.

Good luck.

LuckyRxc

Lucky, thanks, that's good advice. Fortunately enough (or not, considering the cause), due to the alarming number of motorcycling related mishaps in the past couple of years the Marine Corps has mandated that everyone takes the Advance Riders Course or Sport Bike Course withing 120 days of the BRC, so I'll be all set for that once I decide on a bike.

I'm glad that they chose to contract with MSF to do all the instruction, the course was actually a pretty good time and very informative and I have heard nothing but good things about their training. More hands on time would have been nice, but I suppose that will come once I start hitting the back roads. No way I'm going anywhere near the more traveled routes in this area 'till I'm good and comfortable.

How does the KLR do for Vertically challenged folks? We had a couple of old Honda CB125Ts and a bunch of brand new Hyosung 250 Comets, which were complete junk. We were the second class and those things had parts falling off 'em already. Anyway, the hyosung's were too tall for me, so I had to use one of the Hondas.

Re: safety gear I am planning on including that in my budget; I know enough people who ride to fully understand that it's not if you wreck, but when and how bad.

Not to discount anyone's opinions, but does anyone have a suggestion other than the KLR? I don't expect to be spending much time in the dirt, anytime soon, though like I said I might in the future. Might something more street biased suit me better at first? I know there are other dual-purpose options out there than the "dirt bike with lights" variety, lets hear 'em!

Last edited:

dirtysouth

Adventurer
Feel free to ask me anything about any of the bikes I have owned in the past :bike_rider:. I've owned a couple other sport bikes not pictured, and a couple KLR's and 2 more DR650's. I owned 24 bikes in a 9 year period, finally walked away back in July to focus on my 2 little girls more now that they are getting old enough to understand when Daddy isn't home.

http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/showpost.php?p=469348&postcount=132

http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/showpost.php?p=469367&postcount=133

http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/showpost.php?p=469368&postcount=134

MattScott

Approved Vendor
Not to discount anyone's opinions, but does anyone have a suggestion other than the KLR? I don't expect to be spending much time in the dirt, anytime soon, though like I said I might in the future. Might something more street biased suit me better at first? I know there are other dual-purpose options out there than the "dirt bike with lights" variety, lets hear 'em!

You might want to check into a Triumph Tiger, comfortable, capable, and sporty. There's the Buell Ulysess as well, but a little out of the range. You might want to check out some of BMW's other 650 models, but once you get out of dual sports, it's hard to have respectable off, and on road performance.

I'd search the used bike listings at advrider.com too.

J*C*M

Traveller
seconded (or sixth'd) on the BMW 650, especially the GS. Its a bike a beginner can learn on, but it's also chosen by very advanced riders for difficult expedition travel.

jkam

nomadic man
I have two ideas.

How about something like the Suzuki TU250X. At $3799 retail, it's cheap, new, has a low seat and would get you anywhere you would want to go.
Retro looking if you're into that and if you decided to get into more off road or dual sport riding, then it would be cheap to modify with the right tires and suspension or keep for the weekend road trip.

http://www.suzukicycles.com/Product%20Lines/Cycles/Products/TU250X/2009/TU250X.aspx?category=standard

04C7C597BFCF4A378CC323B2521E0296.ashx

Second choice is the Kawasaki KL250 Super Sherpa. Another cheap bike new with a low seat. It has some nice features the KLR 250 doesn't like 6 speed, rear disc brake, electronic dash, etc. I have one and like it a lot. I use it to commute, explore forest roads and take small expeditions with.
75 mpg and it will run 65 mph on the highway all day long. Geared low for back roads and forest roads and has plenty of zip for a 250. I'm 5'9, 180 lbs. and it fits me great.

http://www.kawasaki.com/Products/Product-Specifications.aspx?scid=14&id=371

09_SuperSherpa_lrg.jpg

The 250 class, which by the way, might be a good place for you to start out. Nothing wrong with going with a 650 but figure out where and what kind of riding you'll do and maybe a 250 would be OK.

If you really want a 650, then I like the Suzuki DR650, it can be lowered easily and is air cooled so less to go wrong and maintain than the KLR650 or BMW 650.

Have fun with whatever you choose, be careful and safe riding.

Last edited:

dirtysouth

Adventurer
You might want to check into a Triumph Tiger, comfortable, capable, and sporty. There's the Buell Ulysess as well, but a little out of the range. You might want to check out some of BMW's other 650 models, but once you get out of dual sports, it's hard to have respectable off, and on road performance.

I'd search the used bike listings at advrider.com too.

IMHO, a Tiger or Ulysses is too much bike for someone starting out. Don't get me wrong, they're great bikes but both of them will hand you your testicles if you're not careful. Personally, if dirt isn't your thing and you're responsible enough, I'd go for a SV650. You can get them in the standard version with upright bars and there isn't any high cost associated with them. I found that my SV650s was more comfortable for me than my stroms, because of the sportier riding position. You would think it would be the other way around but an upright riding position tends to cause my lower back to start acting up. Kawasaki makes the versys which is another contender, almost a cross between a weestrom and sv, if you ask me.

MattScott

Approved Vendor
IMHO, a Tiger or Ulysses is too much bike for someone starting out. Don't get me wrong, they're great bikes but both of them will hand you your testicles if you're not careful.

That is a valid statement though, they're big bikes. I think in the end this will be up to him.

scarysharkface

Explorer
KLR650 is an excellent first bike, although it is a bit tall. It can be lowered a couple of inches fairly easily though if needed.

My wife rides a V-Strom 650, which is also an excellent first bike. Great on pavement and capable of off-pavement.

648761887_b76EQ-XL.jpg

Both are low/easy maintenance machines that will run for-e-ver...

John

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior