First Aid kits suck

D

Deleted member 9101

For sure they are. I wasn't implying that they are a replacement for each other, although it read that way.

Yeah, that reply wasn't really meant for you..rather the guy reading it going through the American rescue catalog and maxing out his visa...lol.

Actually I prefer "combat gauze" to quick clot any day.

dzzz

This should almost be two discussions.
One part on breathing and severe bleeding, which if used will be accompanied by a maximum attempt to get help (spot or whatever).
The second part is everything else.

It seems to me that the life saving part of the kit, for most people, is just a CPR mask and a combat kit (hunter trauma kit). With more skills, or specific conditions of a group member, that list might be expanded (e.g. epi pen).

Or perhaps three parts

- life saving
- avoidance of seeking non-emergency care ( enough bandages, antibiotic, ant-diarrhea medicine, etc.)
- comfort (everything else)

Lack of clarity of purpose is part of the reason I feel the first aid kits suck. I looked at a $30 American Red Cross kit that had a CPR mask. So 1/3 to 1/2 of the cost of that kit goes towards rescue breathing for strangers. A nice idea, but not necessarily logical.

jh504

Explorer
324mg ASA is a life saver with an MI. I always have ASA with me in my truck. The kit I carry is pretty much the same thing as a smaller version of a jump bag on the ambulance. The only thing I omit is the code drugs and laryngoscope. I carry a couple bags of NS and an IV kit in the case of severe dehydration or hemorrhage. Lots of bandaids of all sizes, because thats what people always want. Lots of bandages of different types including triangles for splinting and tourniquets. I also have some advanced airway supplies in case that allergic reaction goes wrong. ET tubes, scalpel, and BVM. Quicktrach is a good airway option too.

Fireman78

Expedition Leader
I've got a sweet kit (Pelican 1550 case and hand picked supplies by me). It goes with me on all my vehicle based jobs and adventures. Hopefully I can meet some of you at Expo 2011 and we can share ideas in person.
Recently, I had a bug literally fly INTO my left ear. Myself and a paramedic partner of mine were waaay out on Onion creek road near Moab. It somehow crawled into my ear and was flapping and buzzing and I swear I was ready to jump off a clif to end the insanity, and painful pressure!. We took the bag of saline out, a 20 cc syringe, and my buddy irragated the crap out of it. He either flushed him out, or drowned it. Either way I was a happy camper again!

Antichrist

Expedition Leader
Our protocol is 4 child's chewable asprin (324 mg total). Chewable is more readily absorbed by the body, making it more effective quickly.
Just get non-coated aspirin. It will dissolve almost immediately once it's in your mouth. That's part of why they started coating them.

Last edited:

Ruined Adventures

Brenton Cooper
Another thought I just had is that it it possible to download complete free medical web sites onto a laptop or thumb drive. Any web browser (offline) can display the site.
A discussion about fish hook removal led me to google "fish hook removal".

See "WHERE THERE IS NO DOCTOR" and "WHERE THERE IS NO DENTIST"...download them for free here:
http://www.hesperian.org/publications_download.php
Keep in mind, these resources are for 3rd world countries, small villages where there is no healthcare available. Ideal for overlanding in remote areas of Africa, Asia, or Central/South America. They cover tons of info for emergencies that you would hopefully NEVER have to tackle yourself...but it'd be great to carry on a jump drive for a true life vs. death situation where there is no 911, hospitals, or medical evac within a reasonable distance. Some of the techniques it shows have a very resourceful approach. Keep in mind if you tried half the stuff in these books on somebody other than your family, especially in the US, you'd be open to an easy lawsuit.

I've always ignored SAM splints because there's so many different things you can improvise into a splint...but until I played with one the other day, I forgot how dang easy they make splinting. Totally worth the weight, but I suppose if space is an issue you have choices to make.

Last edited:

Hltoppr

El Gringo Spectacular!
Second both Where there Is....books. There is also a women's healthcare book that I haven't had the opportunity to get yet, but will add it to my library, too.

As for kits, I have been very pleased with the Adventure Medical Kits Comprehensive and Fundamentals kits. I added a few over the counter meds, and some other items I personally like, but they are both very well put together and under $200.

-H-

cruisertoy

Explorer
Recently, I had a bug literally fly INTO my left ear. Myself and a paramedic partner of mine were waaay out on Onion creek road near Moab. It somehow crawled into my ear and was flapping and buzzing and I swear I was ready to jump off a clif to end the insanity, and painful pressure!. We took the bag of saline out, a 20 cc syringe, and my buddy irragated the crap out of it. He either flushed him out, or drowned it. Either way I was a happy camper again!
A few years ago this happened to a guy in a Jeep up at one of the ski resorts. His was a moth. He drove himself down the canyon doing 90 and passing cars left and right in order to get to the hospital. He ran a red light and just about nailed me with my kids in the Cruiser. We found him at the next light. He had gone head to head with a 1 ton Dodge. Dodge won, but both vehicles were totaled. Everyone lived, but the guy with the moth was screaming bloody murder. Not because of his vehicle injuries but because of the moth. As soon as they removed it he was fine. Crazy stuff.

bugnout

Adventurer
I saw reference to packing an Epi-pen (which requires a perscription), but no mention of Diphenhydramine (Benadryl) to treat allergic reactions. I add box of the chewable melts to all my first aid kits. Might just buy enough time to get them to the hospital.

Fireman78

Expedition Leader
A few years ago this happened to a guy in a Jeep up at one of the ski resorts. His was a moth. He drove himself down the canyon doing 90 and passing cars left and right in order to get to the hospital. He ran a red light and just about nailed me with my kids in the Cruiser. We found him at the next light. He had gone head to head with a 1 ton Dodge. Dodge won, but both vehicles were totaled. Everyone lived, but the guy with the moth was screaming bloody murder. Not because of his vehicle injuries but because of the moth. As soon as they removed it he was fine. Crazy stuff.

Awesome story! I swear it was one of the most excrucitaing things ever. Lucky , having a cool head, being fairly intoxicated, having a great first aid kit, and a paramedic partner helped my situation greatly. :coffeedrink:

nwoods

Expedition Leader
Sam splint????

A light weight aluminum and foam padded plate that is completly malleable to form what ever kind of support you might need:

http://www.sammedical.com/sam_splint.html

I used one here for example:

470877884_sbwCq-Xl.jpg

470878253_a4N8z-Xl.jpg

They are particularly good a splinting arms, wrists, etc...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94

Members online