First Aid kits suck

dzzz

when you guys mention epi pens - what chemical is it and what dose for
a severe alergic re-action ?

There was just a discussion somewhere here. $75 each in the U.S. and one year shelf life. Refrigerated is good. Available to the person who needs it even better.

dzzz

Another thought I just had is that it it possible to download complete free medical web sites onto a laptop or thumb drive. Any web browser (offline) can display the site.
A discussion about fish hook removal led me to google "fish hook removal".

D

Deleted member 9101

It's risky to ignore the special healing powers of sponge bob band aides. But all of these types are good to make friends wear when they get an boo boo.

I also ignored the fact that a sponge bob bandage, by nature, will stick under water.

the dude

Adventurer
Be care full with the quick clot. I have seen one guy rip it open with his teeth, not pretty. Make sure you know what you are doing if you have the supplies, as QC should only be used as a last resort and not if you're a 20 min ride to the ER

I also carry a CAT tourniquet. It may be more useful then the QC

Equipt

Supporting Sponsor Presenting Sponsor of Overland
We have been toying with an idea for some time now, and haven't moved on it yet. Thinking about it again. I agree that most of the kits out there are not focused to the niche we find ourselves in. They are either too big or too small for the purpose, and usually have a bunch of stuff that never gets used or needed. Consequently, you end up with multiple kits. I can think of 3 or 4 kits I have spread around in trucks/backpacks/daypacks etc.

Here's the idea.

Create a multi purpose first aid kit that is useful for both the larger vehicle needs, and the smaller dual sport / hiking needs without the redundancy. Create a small kit with the items useful on your bike or hike, the incorporate that kit into the larger kit for your expedition vehicle. If you head out in the truck, take the bigger pack. Going on a hike or a couple day dual sport ride? Remove the smaller kit from the bigger kit, and off you go.

I am interested to hear folks thoughts on the concept, to see if there is sufficient interest to pursue this. I doubt we could come to a consensus on contents here, but if we pick the brains of a few of the like minded fanatical doctors types on here, I bet we can come close.

What do you think?

the dude

Adventurer
I like the idea, expense might be an issue for some. Complete kits can get expensive fast. A good bag and good gear is a must. I am NO expert in the area but I try to get as much first aid training as a I can, especial on the wilderness and combat end of things.

I would look to the tactical side of medic care for some ideas as well, both in treatment and supplies. I am becoming a BIG fan of MOLLE pouches and accessories. Things like asherman chest seal, CAT tourniquets, Israeli Field Dressings, Hemclot, kerlix, BFG Trauma NOW pouch, Maxpedition Active Shooter Bag, ect

I would also distinguish between a boo boo kit and a trauma/IFAK kit. For us we have three distinct kits. Truck/Home kits that is very complete, large, and virtually identical. Three day kits that move around for the car, camping, boat ect. Basically a boo boo kit. And we also have a range/trauma kit that has easy access and moves around as well.

Our home and truck kits are hard cased where as our three day kits and trauma kits are in packs or cases.

Last edited:

dzzz

We have been toying with an idea for some time now, and haven't moved on it yet. .......................

One idea would be to create the storage and offer just the more unusual items separately. I could see these nest: The hike/bike kit fits in the 4x4 kit fits in the big truck/SUV kit.

winkosmosis

Explorer
that's interesting. I was a firefighter and I honestly take the same approach.

-paper tape. -check
-duct tape. -check
-princess band-aids -check
-tweezers/scissors via swiss army knife -check
-bandages? shirt off someone's back -check
-(1-2) epi pens -check (my oldest)
-prescription meds
-multitool w/ pliers and knife - check

You mean you're not preparing for the zombie apocalypse?

nwoods

Expedition Leader
We have been toying with an idea for some time now, and haven't moved on it yet. Thinking about it again. I agree that most of the kits out there are not focused to the niche we find ourselves in. They are either too big or too small for the purpose, and usually have a bunch of stuff that never gets used or needed. Consequently, you end up with multiple kits. I can think of 3 or 4 kits I have spread around in trucks/backpacks/daypacks etc.

Here's the idea.

Create a multi purpose first aid kit that is useful for both the larger vehicle needs, and the smaller dual sport / hiking needs without the redundancy. Create a small kit with the items useful on your bike or hike, the incorporate that kit into the larger kit for your expedition vehicle. If you head out in the truck, take the bigger pack. Going on a hike or a couple day dual sport ride? Remove the smaller kit from the bigger kit, and off you go.

I am interested to hear folks thoughts on the concept, to see if there is sufficient interest to pursue this. I doubt we could come to a consensus on contents here, but if we pick the brains of a few of the like minded fanatical doctors types on here, I bet we can come close.

What do you think?

Paul, in addition to the modular idea, thinking modular would also solve my problem. I have dozen's of first aide kits, because I have end up replacing them every few years as the contents expire. The bandages become dessicated, the peroxide evaporates, the goop in a tube finds its way out, the gloves disintegrate, etc... What do I do with the old kit? It's cheaper to buy an all new kit than simply replace part and parcel.

Like everyone, particular those who've gone through Wilderness First Aid, my kits are customized for my needs and knowledge level, but the core kit is a disposable item every few years. I'd like to have a a nice kit, where I can replace, say, just the "bandages" module when the time comes, rather than the whole kit.

kellymoe

Expedition Leader
I dont know if anyone has mentioned it yet but in addition to the duct tape I also carry Crazy Glue. Great for closing up lacerations. Every so often I get the purple glue from the ER but in a pinch Crazy Glue works great.

shogun

Adventurer
Here's the idea.

What do you think?

Just a couple general comments;

While the two-level idea is good, I dont know too many items that I would want in some travel situations but not in others. Yes some of the luxury items maybe, but you can get alot of stuff compacted into a small kit. I wouldnt want to forgo the kerlix on a bike trip (probably more likely to need anyway), but I might accept having one roll instead of two or three. So the multi-level kit changes from different items to different quantities. I'm just as likelt to get bug bites and snake bites on a bike trip as a vehicle trip, same with major hemmorage. I really think the difference should be quantity, not items, which makes the plan a little less easy.

The problem I have with commercial med kits is that they tend to be silly. Band aids, tape, ointment (maybe), a couple small alchohol wipes, etc. No serious medical items for major trauma. Then there are the silly legal issues that interfere with clinical treatments.

Them be my comments.

D

Deleted member 9101

Be care full with the quick clot. I have seen one guy rip it open with his teeth, not pretty. Make sure you know what you are doing if you have the supplies, as QC should only be used as a last resort and not if you're a 20 min ride to the ER

I also carry a CAT tourniquet. It may be more useful then the QC

The Cat tourniquet and Quick Clot are designed to stop two different types of bleeding.

the dude

Adventurer
For sure they are. I wasn't implying that they are a replacement for each other, although it read that way.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles