Fires, Tires, 'n Bears Eh? Ooh YeyyaahhH!!- Trip Report

Blackdawg

Dr. Frankenstein
I read your report on the iPad, and then just looked at it again on a full size screen - your pictures are amazing! Well done. I was born in Fernie and grew up in Sparwood so I am really looking forward to your Crowsnest Pass / Alberta trip report. Living in Oregon now, but am planning a trip back that way in the 4Runner and can use some new ideas. Thanks for the story and the education on the http://www.backcountrydiscoveryroutes.com/WABDR - I've crossed the border 50 times at Osoyoos and had no idea there was a border crossing Cawston!

Thanks man! And yea it is awesome up there. We had to stop in sparwood actually for a tire haha

Glad it was helpful! Thanks for reading it.

rea9390

Great travel report and loved the pictures! Awesome job. Anyone know if the WA part of the trail is doable in a full size RAM 4x4?

Kymcmahon5

Observer
Love these trip reports! Moly has been on the bucket list since I first heard/ saw pictures of it. So close but never been. Planning a trip in August to finally check it out. Also in a 96 Taco and a couple other first gens! Were doing a 9 day trip around Northern Vancouver Island in a few weeks and this is got me thinking of trying to to a little trip report. Keep it up!

Blackdawg

Dr. Frankenstein
Love these trip reports! Moly has been on the bucket list since I first heard/ saw pictures of it. So close but never been. Planning a trip in August to finally check it out. Also in a 96 Taco and a couple other first gens! Were doing a 9 day trip around Northern Vancouver Island in a few weeks and this is got me thinking of trying to to a little trip report. Keep it up!

Thanks! Glad you liked them. You should try and make it up there for sure!

And i highly suggest writing down the trips and taking photos. Always fun to relive them. :)

RotorHead04

Observer
To echo many others on this forum, Great Report and Awesome Pictures!! Looks like it was a blast and the story telling was perfect. Im jealous of your group of friends. I'm the solo overloading addict in my circle of friends so planning a trip like yours is not going to happen until I can find some dirt head buddies. If you need an extra Land Cruiser to tag along on one of your Tacoma adventures I'm all in!! Keep the new adventures coming. Will look forward to reading them!

Blackdawg

Dr. Frankenstein
To echo many others on this forum, Great Report and Awesome Pictures!! Looks like it was a blast and the story telling was perfect. Im jealous of your group of friends. I'm the solo overloading addict in my circle of friends so planning a trip like yours is not going to happen until I can find some dirt head buddies. If you need an extra Land Cruiser to tag along on one of your Tacoma adventures I'm all in!! Keep the new adventures coming. Will look forward to reading them!

Thank you sir! glad you have enjoyed them! Keep digging, you'll find your wheeling buds im sure :)

Hoping to finish up the last report this week and start the next!

Chipatolte

Such an incredible read! I had been thinking of a trip this summer since I will have unlimited time and your trip report inspired me. I'm now firmly locked into this plan and I cannot wait. I'll be going in Mid to Late July.

I'm curious though, that was a lot of flats. Do you think the last two you experienced after Moly were avoidable at all? I'll be going solo and now I'm thinking of bringing a second spare.

Blackdawg

Dr. Frankenstein
Such an incredible read! I had been thinking of a trip this summer since I will have unlimited time and your trip report inspired me. I'm now firmly locked into this plan and I cannot wait. I'll be going in Mid to Late July.

I'm curious though, that was a lot of flats. Do you think the last two you experienced after Moly were avoidable at all? I'll be going solo and now I'm thinking of bringing a second spare.

Yes, Timmy just got too close to that side of the road. On that section it has a pretty straight cut through the mountain and has lots of little rocks poking out. had he not hugged the inside as much he probably would have been fine. But that can be hard when its a steep *** hill! haha

Thank you for reading! Glad to have inspired.

Blackdawg

Dr. Frankenstein
I'm surprised there were so many mechanical issues with the Tacomas.

Our trip after this had even more.

But we aren't nice to them. We flog them pretty hard so things break. We are prepared for that more and more. usually they are minor issues. This trip was mainly tires and loose bolts and a bad battery.

On the next one we plugged radiators, killed an alternator and tire and blew up a diff.

i don't think any vehicle would hold up 100% every time with as many mile of dirt we put on. Although the last trip we went on was pretty uneventful in terms of break downs which is always nice.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles