Firefly Offroad Trailer

cowboy4x4

Explorer
As some people may be aware I am in the middle of designing an enclosed offroad trailer. I am not a vendor here yet I'm trying to get an idea of the interest. I will list the size and all the options and then what I'm planning on selling them for "IF" the response seems good. I want this to be an entry level trailer but still have all the bling but not have people spending 15k and up for an enclosed trailer. It would be even less if people did not want say ;the fridge,side awning,firewood holder, nose mounted fuel/water cans,cook partner stove,roof rack and so on. A rough estimate on a no frills trailer would be 7k OTD and the owner could build/add parts at a later date as they see fit.

5x5x9 enclosed trailer
3500 lb spring axle w/ brakes
rear door hinged at top with gas assist struts
side door w/window
flush taillights
5' tongue w/ square receiver end
fantastic fan roof vent
tongue box
off road tires w/spare
trailer will be insulated
outside side door light
5lb propane bottle w/ bracket
one 12volt battery
ARB fridge
slide for fridge.
foam mattress
multi axis coupler
inside luan or white masonite
water tank w/ pump
sink and faucet
two burner cook partner stove
tongue jack
side awning
two side windows in trailer
roof rack
two fuel or water cans w/ brackets for tongue
spare tire carrier
nose rack for firewood.
under bed storage
one outside 120v outlet
one 120v outlet in main sleeping area
one 120v outlet in kitchen area
20' 120v shore plug

OTD to the customer $11,955.00

again this trailer is not built yet but all the plans/prices have come together. If there is an interest I will contact this site to find out what is involved in selling on here.....Thomas OverlandXT

Last edited:

HOOLIGAN

The 4x4 Podcast
Sounds like a good trailer. A little out of my price range though. Just curious, why is the rear door hinged at the top?

cowboy4x4

Explorer
It's hinged at the top so when it opens it becomes a roof over your head.

I don't have one of the computor drawing programs, the prototype is actually just waiting to be funded and it will be made. It was designed "old" school in drawings so I won't have any pics until the trailer shell is built. The prototype will be charcol gray, the top front portion of the trailer will be rounded and the bottom back will be angled up for departure clearance.

cowboy4x4

Explorer
The box internal structure is steel and the exterior siding is aluminum. The only wood will be the main floor, it will be 3/4 ply and the sub floor 5 1/2" above it will be 1/2" ply covered with vinyl so it will be easy to clean out and the bedding will not sit directly on the ply, it will have a nice smooth clean surface. Also the rear kitchen area cabinets. The interior walls of the box will either be clear lacquered luan or white masonite to brighten up the inside.

elmo_4_vt

Explorer
I don't think of the picture above when I read the description... ^

It sounds to me like it's basically going to be square tear-drop style trailer if I follow your description... Right? Kitchen in the back under the top hinged door, bed taking up all of the rest of the floor area with a separate side door?

-

cowboy4x4

Explorer
Elmo your correct. The back angle wont as drastic as the conqueror but the same concept. There are not to many variations one can do to a trailer that have not already been done. In my mind as long as one does not copy a trailer spot for spot your ok. My plan is to make it a nice trailer thats not as expensive to get into as the 15k-23k competition. Dont get me wrong the other companies make great trailers by all means, I'm just trying to get more people/wives/families out there camping.

That tube trailer is the bomb I do tube bending as well, there will be a couple of tube areas on mine as well. I made a swing out BBQ holder on my previous trailer.

elmo_4_vt

Explorer
Wasn't trying to say it was copied at all, just trying to figure out what you meant... I'm doing the same thing basically, though sounds like mine will be a bit bigger with a 6x12 box so I can fit my cycle inside.

I'm actually getting ready to buy a cheap BBQ that a local box store has on sale. Can you post any pics of how you did you holder on the previous trailer? I trying to figure out how to do that and a rear corner jack and looking at different hing options.

Don

-

sickchilly

Observer
You've got my attention, Cowboy. Sounds about like what I'm after. I love the features of the Adventure Trailers, Sierra Trailers, etc. But in the end, you're still sleeping in tent and schlepping a bunch of containers to/fro. I also have a hard time swallowing the price when you can get a real fully enclosed RV type trailer for the same price. Something like a Jayco 165 or 154RB. Of course the Jaycos wont survive most forest service roads, are too big, heavy and just plain overkill. I don't need the extra lounge space, dedicated dining area, microwave, oven, bathtub, etc.

I prefer an enclosed ready-to-roll self-contained trailer, but not a mobile condo. The closest I've found to what I'm after is something like what http://www.weiscrafttrailers.com is doing. Compact, light, efficient use of space, but they just don't seem durable enough to me. I don't want to drag it through the Rubicon, but it does need to endure long miles of unimproved roads to trail heads or the remote camping areas I like. I don't mind lounging and cooking outside, but it does need to sleep 2-3 and maybe have enough room to make breakfast/coffee inside on a really cold morning.

What you've proposed sounds pretty cool and if you can keep it nicely equipped under $10k, I think it'll be boss!

kraqus

Norcalwood
Did you make any progress on your design?
I am currently researching "Box" trailers and I came up with your thread.
I like what your did with your Cargo trailer.

Benny

cowboy4x4

Explorer
I had/have everything set up to move forward but trying to sell an idea/concept without actually having one to show people is a hard sell. The person that was going to finance the first one for a demo (his wife talked him out of doing it) unfortunately. So either I build the first one with my own finances (which I dont have right now) or I would need someone to buy one (custom build) for them. Build time is four weeks for each trailer. I would love to give some of the other trailer companies some competition.... If I don't get any takers on "blind trust":) I will sell my other trailer when its done and go from there.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94