Firefighters and Public Safety

Spikepretorius

Explorer
Can a moderator shift this thread to the SAR section maybe?? Before it gets lost in the depths of the Fireside chat

Last edited:

4Rescue

Expedition Leader
EMT-I (6 years), Wilderness EMT(6-years, WMI grad and possibly soon to be instructor), Swiftater rescue Tech (3 years), Highangle Cert, DPSST cert Firefighter (3 years), Former Volly Firefighter (dropped off due to time constraints), Fire-Science degree.

Now I work in one of the West Coasts leading Cardiac and Stroke Hospitals in the ER and I'm heading to Nursing school so I can become a Flight nurse. I was pretty bummed at not getting on to a paid crew after working my butt off for the last few years, but I've got a GREAT job that honestly is teaching me so much more than anyother job ever could. PLus I figure after I come out of Nursing school with all my Emergency experience and my training I'll be one hell of a candidate for a good department.

One thing thatI keep thinking about, is that I'd really love to work in a small rural department because I'm starting to loose interest in living in the city, but I'll go where ever I get on. Hell I'd even move to LA (no offence Kelly, but I consider LA to be almost unbearable...)

I'm also looking very heavily into moving back to Australia after I finish Nursing School, I really miss it there adn I'd be in a very employable position once I finish school.

One thing that I found is that I love the mentality of those who chose this line of work. Most tend to be very annolytical (sp??? :confused: ) and good under preassure. For me it doesn't get any better than when were running multiple Code's in the ER, everyone's just balls to the wall, and when it's all over, and the PT. pulls through you just get the greatest feeling of satisfaction.

I love EMS and as soon as I took my first EMT course I knew I had found my calling. I've grown up with an ER nurse for a mother adn an Army medic for a father so there's a bit of a background there eh ;).

Glad to see so many brothers and sisters in service here on the board. I was never in the millitary, but I look at what I do as my way of serving my country and protecting those around me.

Cheers

Dave

Spikepretorius said:
Can a moderator shift this thread to the SAR section maybe?? Before it gets lost in the depths of the Fireside chat

Solid idea mate...

Last edited:

mrstang01

Adventurer
My father retired off the job after the Parkmoor Bowling alley fire in Louisville almost killed him (and did three of his partners). He started the volunteer fire department in the small community we moved to on a shoestring, and I grew up in it. I love the job, but like most have said, I couldn't make a living doing it here.

Michael

Saline

Adventurer
Firefighter/EMT for Grand Junction (CO) Fire Department. I work primarily on Truck 1 and Ambulance 1 out of our downtown station. Been in the fire service for 12 years now (past 5 in GJ).
Love the area, love the job!
IAFF Local 2808

Last edited:

Mitchss

Observer
I guess I should add myself to the thread. I've been a firefighter for 12 years and I'm currently Assistant Chief of the Aledo Volunteer Fire Department (40 paid/volunteer members, two stations, 10 apparatus covering 150 square miles outside Fort Worth, TX.) I am also a Fort Worth Police officer for the last 9 years as well as an EMT-B. I too have an addiction to adrenaline! Maybe if there were a few more off-road or expedition opportunities around here, I might have fewer of these addictions!
:pROFSheriffHL:

5x5

Observer
Firefighter/EMT in Marquette, MI for 13 years. IAFF Local 643.

Just got a call from my Captain ten minutes ago. I got promoted to engineer today! :smiley_drive::victory: It's been a long time coming.

Love the job. I can't really think of anything else I'd rather do. -Ian

Just got a call from my Captain ten minutes ago. I got promoted to engineer today! :smiley_drive::victory: It's been a long time coming.

:jumping: Congratulations :exclaim::exclaim:

hikingff77

Adventurer
PA Volunteer firefighter here. Would love to be pair FD someday but that job doesn't pay much in terms of bills around here. I want to join the SAR around here but not enough time right now.

jh504

Explorer
PA Volunteer firefighter here. Would love to be pair FD someday but that job doesn't pay much in terms of bills around here. I want to join the SAR around here but not enough time right now.

Welcome to ExPo. I hear you about time for SAR. I am currently inactive with my SAR team because I just cant make time in the day.

jeepmedic46

Expedition Leader

Congratulations :victory:

adventureduo

Dave Druck [KI6LBB]
Gave the reserve FF a try for Orange County Fire Authority. Helicopter support crew, cutting line, fueling the helo and that sort of thing. Waited for almost 2 years for a chance to do it, went through a year or so of training and didn't feel it was for me. I could of continued, but felt guilty for wasting their time and i think i proceeded further than i wanted to because of my family (my dad was proud and so was gramps.. and that kept me going back). Most guys were excited when they were paged, i wasn't. At that point, i knew i was the wrong person for the job and im taking up a spot someone that deserved it should have. At some point i had to make myself happy. There wasn't anything wrong with the experience, it just wasn't for me. Was always welcomed back if the desire was there. Great group of people.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles