Firefighters and Public Safety

silentsamurai

Explorer
Quite possible. I've worked here for 2 years now. We used to be located in Newport (our CA office) but now we're in costa mesa.

But our radio's reach from victoria, canada to about ensenada mexico. I work 8pm to 6am here in the office. So feel free to hail me anytime on CH.16 heh.

Adam

kellymoe

Expedition Leader
silentsamurai said:
I work as a dispatcher for Vessel Assist. Does that count? haha j/k

I'd love to be a Fireman. I'm only 23, but im getting into shape and i'll try out one of these days.

Love the video! *subscribed!* Love what you guys do. keep up the great work LAFD.

Adam

On another note. my left arm is completely sleeved (tattoo) How is the department now a days on tattoos?

Regarding the tats. LAFD just implemented a show tat policy. If you have tats they must be covered. One guy at my station has a sleeved arm and he wears a black sleeve over it. There are a few on the job who have tats up their neck and on their face. One captain has a cue ball with the number 13 on the front of his throat. He is the reason for the new policy. He just went overboard. Their needs to be a balance. He works in a area that is predominantly controlled by the 18th street gang. What do all these tats say when you go into someones home? He has lots of Hispanic tats on his arms, stuff on his knuckles. I can see his tats compromising his crews safety in certain situations.

You can still be hired but they have to be covered. I hope that answers your question.

silentsamurai

Explorer
Yes. It does very thoroughly, thank you.

I completely agree with what you said about the fellow fireman. That is something I would worry about every time Id would work with him. Someone see's that when he's off duty and figure out he's with lafd, that could be a situation. Mine are in no way offensive to anyone nor do they show anywere else but my arm. I have friends in lapd (ventura) and they said i'd have a fun time as a cop. wearing the under, then the vest, and then the "wool" long sleeve uniform heh. No thank you!

Thanks again for the information. I will deff. give it some thought.

Adam

silentsamurai

Explorer
:)

335674463_2be3213338.jpg

Last edited:

Explorer
Former Wildland firefighter for the Forest Service Initial attack. Grew tired of fighting nature and moved to the Hazmat and environmental reclamation field.

If you don't believe in "let it burn", I don't want to hear it. My wife still fights fires and we go rounds every summer on this debate so I've hashed it out plenty:littlefriend:

kellymoe

Expedition Leader
007 said:
Former Wildland firefighter for the Forest Service Initial attack. Grew tired of fighting nature and moved to the Hazmat and environmental reclamation field.

If you don't believe in "let it burn", I don't want to hear it. My wife still fights fires and we go rounds every summer on this debate so I've hashed it out plenty:littlefriend:

I am a firm believer in let it burn when at all possible. It was the fast aggressive attack of the fire service for the past several decades that has put us in this predicament, at least in Southern California. Fighting fire in hills that have not seen a good burn in 60-100 years is no good.

"Fire in Sierra Nevada Forests" by Gruell is a spectacular photos comparison between pictures taken in the 1840's and today of the same locations. Talk about over growth.

silentsamurai

Explorer
Isn't that exactly what they are doing with saddleback mountains? On the irvine side? i remember you used to be allowed to ride up there but not 1/2 of its closed off due to the fire. they let it all burn and are now protecting it / letting it grow back. Not a bad idea.

kellymoe

Expedition Leader
silentsamurai said:

Our former chief Bill Bammatre. He was run out out of town by the mayor. I liked him, believed he really wanted what was good for the department. Our new chief is doing some really good things and hope he continues to do so.

Fireman78

Expedition Leader
I forgot to mention earlier, (you guys reminded me talking about controlled fires), I moved out of the wildland task force stuff and got into forest fuels reduction on the private contractor side. Being a contractor is great stuff. Especially doing the controlled burns.. fun fun!!!

kellymoe

Expedition Leader
Fireman78 said:
I forgot to mention earlier, (you guys reminded me talking about controlled fires), I moved out of the wildland task force stuff and got into forest fuels reduction on the private contractor side. Being a contractor is great stuff. Especially doing the controlled burns.. fun fun!!!

Hey, I am still very interested in a pack raft. It's always a juggling act between spending money on toys or stuff for my truck. I started climbing again and now I'm dropping $$ on gear. When I make the jump I'll call you.

Fireman78

Expedition Leader
kellymoe said:
Hey, I am still very interested in a pack raft. It's always a juggling act between spending money on toys or stuff for my truck. I started climbing again and now I'm dropping $$ on gear. When I make the jump I'll call you.

Alpacka Raft decided to do any with sales reps, so unfortunatly I am not part of the sales deal anymore, however, I still very active in using the rafts personally. I can help out with sizing and stuff, no prob. I spent five days up in Wyoming , rafted the Snake and had a great time this year, as well as the Rio Chama here in NM. Alpackas are great.

FshTaco99

Adventurer
Volunteer here in Delaware for eight years. After reaching the white helmet around here there isn't much else to ponder upon. Have an associates degree in fire engineering but never pursued much after school. Have yet to find a paid job here on the East coast. We seem to be suffering much from Unions destroying volunteer stations and miniority issues for paid jobs... So, I decided I'm better off just running the family business instead.

kellymoe

Expedition Leader
FshTaco99 said:
Volunteer here in Delaware for eight years. After reaching the white helmet around here there isn't much else to ponder upon. Have an associates degree in fire engineering but never pursued much after school. Have yet to find a paid job here on the East coast. We seem to be suffering much from Unions destroying volunteer stations and miniority issues for paid jobs... So, I decided I'm better off just running the family business instead.

It is amazing how different East and West coast departments are. I never realized how few paid opportunities there are in the East. It's really too bad.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles