Firefighters and Public Safety

jh504

Explorer
I am a firefighter/EMT and I have noticed a lot of brothers in the public safety business on this site. There might be a thread about this already, I can't find it. How many do we have on here who are firefighters, paramedics, SAR? Where do you work and how long have you been in the business? It seems like this kind of pastime draws a certain type of person and many of us have taken the same roads in life.

Flight Paramedic in the Alaskan Bush to pay the bills and Firefighter Paramedic for our local Vol. Dept. because I don’t get enough excitement at work…GOD I need a 12 tep program BAD!

jh504

Explorer
AlaskanFlightMedic said:
Flight Paramedic in the Alaskan Bush to pay the bills and Firefighter Paramedic for our local Vol. Dept. because I don’t get enough excitement at work…GOD I need a 12 tep program BAD!

That is my dream job, I am very jealous of you right now. So when are you guys going to be hiring next?;)

Capt Eddie

Adventurer
I have been a paramedic for 20 years. I worked North Louisiana and Mississippi out of a Popup camper. I was called a float medic. Where ever I went I could stay in the camper at my partners house. Did that for 7 years before going back on line. Think twice before you choose this as a job for the rest of your life. I have two kids that I never saw. They still resent me for it. I have a new family with new kids and can tell you. The time I lost with my first kids was priceless. Don't get married and have kids in the EMS field. This is 20 years talking.

kellymoe

Expedition Leader
Fireman/paramedic for the LAFD, Los Angeles City Fire Dept. since 1988. Great job. Wouldn't want to work for any other department. I worked South Central During the Riots and have been assigned to Fire Station #1 in East LA for the last 10 years. Was also a founding member of the departments Swift Water Rescue Team, was on the team just over 10 years. I look forward to going to work every day.

Kevin

Capt. Eddie,

Sorry to hear of your bad experience. Mine has been quite the opposite. I get 20 days off a month and lots of vacation. I became a fireman with the LAFD because my dad was a fireman and I loved the time he spent with me and my brother. I am certain schedules are different back east but out west it seems we get more time off.

Last edited:

Blair G

Adventurer
Been involved in the Fire Service since I was 18. Had never aspired our thought of the Fire Service prior to that but once I became a volunteer I realized it was what I wanted to do. Fast forward 23 years and I am now a Captain with CALFIRE. During that time I have worked Schedule A, ARFF, Schedule B and Hand Crews. Currently am assigned to a Fire Station in Cambria California. A Great station to be assigned to ,as we do everything. Being on HWY 1 we have variety of calls and each day is something new. Could not think of a better job.
As for family, it can be a hard job on them. But I think it is how the family is brought into the job and the understanding that comes along with that. My kids have had Christmas, Thanksgiving and birthdays at the station and I could not think of a better group of people to have them exposed to. You do ending up spending time away from home but that doesn't mean you have to be away from your family.

Blair

Last edited:

HenryJ

Expedition Leader
Oregon Hazmat team #14 for 17 years, Firefighter 11 years, EMT-B 5 years.
Part-time paid for Ontario Fire and Rescue.
I run a high angle and confined space rescue team for my full time job as well.
A great bunch to work with! There is no better class of people anywhere and as jobs go it sure can be fun at times.
I had four fires and a medical today. All that after a 10 hour day at the "real job". Start out with a house fire just after picking the kid up from school on my way home, Trench cut 100' of roof on a small strip mall, run a cardiac pt to er, put out a fence and garage fire then roll on a wildland fire. Nothing quite like that kind of fun after five ;) We must have had a busy little arsonist stroll through. Hopefully on his way to another state by now.

Speaker

Adventurer
I'm an EMT... ski patrol, that's all. I suppose I should find something more serious, but it's just so fun!

I want to get into fire, both wildland and structure, but structure needs a lot of schooling, and I like running a chainsaw :ylsmoke:

kellymoe

Expedition Leader
Speaker said:
I'm an EMT... ski patrol, that's all. I suppose I should find something more serious, but it's just so fun!

I want to get into fire, both wildland and structure, but structure needs a lot of schooling, and I like running a chainsaw :ylsmoke:

Come work for us. You can still run a chainsaw, even at structure fires. In fact vertical ventilation is the hallmark of the LAFD. Here's a little taste of LA City Fire doing what they do best.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=485qFmVCRWg

jh504

Explorer
Speaker said:

Ski patrol can be pretty serious if you ask me. I have seen some bad things going off the mountain. Good luck getting involved with fire. Find a good volunteer dept that has a lot of structure and training for new volunteers. It makes all the difference in how much you learn when your starting out.

blupaddler

Conspirator
I work for the San Diego Fire Rescue Department, as a Lifeguard. I work year-round and have been on for fifteen years. Been an EMT for about twelve.

Currently work out of our boating unit headquartered on Mission Bay where we handle surf-rescue, marine fire, vessel tows, sinking vessels, etc... We also do coastal cliff rescue. The job is great, the people are like one big family. I am not a typical fire schedule, but we do all work 4-10. The vacation days are good, and the view from my office is well... the best in the world.

I just became a member of our Swiftwater Rescue Team about a year ago as well. Kevin I would love to chat with you some time about your experiences, and I believe your team just got deployed too?

kellymoe

Expedition Leader
blupaddler said:
I just became a member of our Swiftwater Rescue Team about a year ago as well. Kevin I would love to chat with you some time about your experiences, and I believe your team just got deployed too?

We got deployed last week ahead of Gustav. I would love to talk sometime.

Speaker

Adventurer
kellymoe said:
Come work for us. You can still run a chainsaw, even at structure fires. In fact vertical ventilation is the hallmark of the LAFD. Here's a little taste of LA City Fire doing what they do best.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=485qFmVCRWg

What a great video! Very cool, my chainsaw addiction may have merrit, yet.

And yeah, there are some really serious injuries on patrol, and there are a lot of wrecks. Ambulance crews maybe respond to max of 5 calls a day here (mostly geriatrics and ETOH) unless there's an MCI which is very rare... On the mountain, I've worked personally 12 wrecks in a day. Our little hill can get over 25 a day.

I was referring to serious as in a career though. Any other advice/direction would be great!

silentsamurai

Explorer
I work as a dispatcher for Vessel Assist. Does that count? haha j/k

I'd love to be a Fireman. I'm only 23, but im getting into shape and i'll try out one of these days.

Love the video! *subscribed!* Love what you guys do. keep up the great work LAFD.

Adam

On another note. my left arm is completely sleeved (tattoo) How is the department now a days on tattoos?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles