Firefighters and Public Safety

medicfung

Hello folks, seasoned rural paramedic for Kern co., CA, now paying bills by working on sets for the entertainment industry. I've been lucky enough in my career to have worked for all the major networks I've dreamed of such as national geographic, discovery, history, HBO, food network, etc. and traveled to 20 countries while being paid. I've been around the world 4 times and the only continents I haven't been on are Africa and Antarctica. I'm still young so it's still possible in my career to be sent there.

Scott H Murray

Adventure Photog
Hey guys I am an Emergency Services Officer as we are called here in Australia, I work on a minesite and cover everything from bush fire fighting, structural, Vert Resc, Confined space rescue, Vehicle Accident, Hazmat and day to day medical treatments medivac's. Nice to meet like minded people across the globe. Would love to tag along on some courses overseas in the near future ;)

RangerXLT

Adventurer
Just got my first job today as a Florida Forest Ranger. I did Medic last July and fire academy in November,. Definitely looking forward to it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

virginia_jeeper

Craft Beer Explorer
Full time job, 911 Dispatcher for Newport News Shipbuilding. Hobby, fireman/EMT for 7 years at West Point Volunteer Fire Department (the department has been around for 111 years). While this doesn't quite count, im also a Injury Investigator with the EH&S department at Busch Gardens Williamsburg part time. I like safety if you can't tell...

Lucky j

Explorer
So far, I've been a Paramedic for 10 years (and going) in les Escoumins prov. of Quebec, and also a ski patrol (telemark) as volunter for le Massif de Charlevoix in Petite Riviere st-Francois QC, for 17 years and going. I was also a member of The Swiss Valley volunter ski Patrol in Jones MI for 2 seasons.

RangerXLT

Adventurer
I am curious for anyone that has worked in the forestry side, what are the recommendations on boots. I know working for the state my deployments out west won't be too often (I was told maybe twice a year), so I was curious on everyday workboots vs Wildland boots. I intend on buying a pair of Nicks Forester boots, but I wasn't sure if those would be appropriate for everyday on the job application as well. I'm all for buying quality boots, my dad always did and I followed in that. I know I'll receive a $200 allowance every year, but don't mind fronting the extra $200-$300 now for boots that will last.

Fyreman

Observer
I am curious for anyone that has worked in the forestry side, what are the recommendations on boots. I know working for the state my deployments out west won't be too often (I was told maybe twice a year), so I was curious on everyday workboots vs Wildland boots. I intend on buying a pair of Nicks Forester boots, but I wasn't sure if those would be appropriate for everyday on the job application as well. I'm all for buying quality boots, my dad always did and I followed in that. I know I'll receive a $200 allowance every year, but don't mind fronting the extra $200-$300 now for boots that will last.

Nicks and Whites are common around California. Hawthornes are lower quality but still work. I think it depends If you need a protective toe or not. I have Haix and White's each has its place and both work well. NFPA 1977 required?

RangerXLT

Adventurer
Nicks and Whites are common around California. Hawthornes are lower quality but still work. I think it depends If you need a protective toe or not. I have Haix and White's each has its place and both work well. NFPA 1977 required?

My supervisor said they didn't need to be NFPA certified, but for the price point I don't see why not. A little extra weight but better heat protection from what I have read. The only standard that he really touched on was 8" leather lace up. I passed my pack test this morning so I begin on March 2nd. I was told to wait until then to place the order or I may not get my reimbursement.

k9lestat

Expedition Leader
I just found this thread

Deputy sheriff narcotics k9/ road patrol Effingham county georgia. Been there seven years. Been on the job 17 years.

Sent from my QMV7A using Tapatalk

ExpedH3T

Explorer
Huh, guess I never replied to this thread. Whoops.

Been with San Diego Fire-Rescue for just over 20 years. Currently a Battalion Chief assigned to Battalion 1 downtown.

Other related duties include being on a Federal Incident Management Team (14 years) and on our US&R team (14 years).

I did spend a little time with San Diego Mountain Rescue back in the late 80's, and some time as a volly in the Midwest and New England in the early/mid 80's.

Never heard of the guy!!!! :bowdown:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ritabooke