Firearms in Expedition Vehicles

MicroBird

Adventurer
I didn't know WY didn't have a CCW law. That only applies to WY residents. Is that new?

I think it would be too difficto have a class covering all the possible laws from state to state. Best thing would be to check state laws when planning to visit a state. There are websites that cover state gun laws. The main thing is to make sure you know what's legal and what's not. In CA, if you are convicted of breaking a firearms law as well as some others, I believe you could loose your gun rights for 10 years.

acasper708

Observer
I hate my state :-(
Never move near Chicago if your a gun enthusiast!! I should of gotten out of here when I had the chance.

toymaster

Explorer
I didn't know WY didn't have a CCW law. That only applies to WY residents. Is that new?.......

Yes we do have laws and they say any one can carry a firearm open or concealed. It was passed about 2 years ago. Wyoming still issues a cwp for recep purposes. The same rules to get a cwp still apply as before.

FellowTraveler

Explorer
I only had to admit to a concealed weapon once, mostly because I try to not get pulled over, but once I had a gun under a sweater on my backseat and was maybe driving a little fast, told the hp about it, he had me step out retrieved the gun, (.357 red hawk), his dad had been wanting one for some time, we exchanged numbers and he bought it from me the next day, after we went shooting at he police only shooting range. Now I live in wyoming, no concealed carry laws here.

That's funny my concealed carry is good in Wyoming, and I know residents of Wyoming upon reaching the age of 18 qualify for a concealed carry license there, however, anyone not residing in Wyoming must be 21 to use their state's concealed carry license if it is recognized by Wyoming.

So, you are telling those of us herein this forum there are no concealed carry laws in Wyoming it begs the question where can I find this information do you know the statute, can I carry open in Wyoming as a non-resident many other states allow me too, or?

Last edited:

AA1PR

Disabled Explorer
Here in VT you dont need a CCW, as long as you're not a felon
you can not carry into a school or school grounds, post office, state or federal building, or any place that serves alcohol
Also several cities have tried to make their own ordinaces that prohibit you from carry a live round in the chamber
if its an auto pistol put the clip in the gun, but dont rack the slide
if its a revolver you have to have the chamber over the barrel & the next one empty, talk about insane

Chris Boyd

Explorer
That's funny my concealed carry is good in Wyoming, and I know residents of Wyoming upon reaching the age of 18 qualify for a concealed carry license there, however, anyone not residing in Wyoming must be 21 to use their state's concealed carry license if it is recognized by Wyoming.

So, you are telling those of us herein this forum there are no concealed carry laws in Wyoming it begs the question where can I find this information do you know the statute, can I carry open in Wyoming as a non-resident many other states allow me too, or?

Try http://www.usacarry.com/ for rules, links to laws and reciprocity maps.

I carry whenever I'm not flying commercially for business...

I keep a small 380 or .45 compact 1911 on my person or in a carry bag and have a full frame 1911 in a gun vault in the truck. I'll probably pack a Benelli for the next overland journey though.

fowldarr

Explorer
Yes I stand corrected, there is a ccw law that says we can. I'm a fairly new resident so I don't know the statute or how it applies to out of staters

Joash

Adventurer
I apologize if this is repeat information.

a) This seems to be a discussion about trips in the USA only. As far as international travel, you definitely don't want to violate firearms laws in another country. Even possessing a single round of ammo can land you in serious trouble in Mexico, so if you do take your vehicle or gear bags on shooting trips, clean them out very thoroughly before crossing the border.

b) re. California, be very careful. We have very strict laws as far as carry in a vehicle (particularly handguns). In addition, many firearms and magazines that are legal in neighboring states are prohibited from being imported into CA.

Last edited:

FellowTraveler

Explorer
I apologize if this is repeat information.

a) This seems to be a discussion about trips in the USA only. As far as international travel, you definitely don't want to violate firearms laws in another country.

b) re. California, be very careful. We have very strict laws as far as carry in a vehicle (particularly handguns). In addition, many firearms and magazines that are legal in neighboring states are prohibited from being imported into CA.

I've been led to believe that if it's a registered machine-gun or other NFA item that assault weapons ban and magazine ban do not apply to these items in California , true, or false?

Joash

Adventurer
Californians may not own registered machine guns or short barreled rifles or suppressors. Some people have AOWs through an NFA trust. CA law doesn't prohibit owning high-cap mags, just buying, selling, making, importing etc. There may be exceptions, but I would consult an attorney for legal advice.

Bear in mind that street cops almost never know the vagaries of these laws and most would probably arrest you, impound the vehicle and let someone else sort out the mess later.

J

JWP58

Any Wyoming RESIDENT can CC without a license. You can however get a CCL in Wyoming, why I dont know. The same rules apply though, anywhere with a 30.06 sign you cant carry in (unless of course you're L.E.O., ect)

FellowTraveler

Explorer
Any Wyoming RESIDENT can CC without a license. You can however get a CCL in Wyoming, why I dont know. The same rules apply though, anywhere with a 30.06 sign you cant carry in (unless of course you're L.E.O., ect)

Interesting, this special group of privilege "LEO's" I can't seem to find any reference to them in any constitution of the several states of the union nor the Constitution of the United States of America..

J

JWP58

Well technically anyone can conceal carry anywhere, just dont get caught. Even if you do the worst thing that will come of it is a trespass charge. (atleast here, other municipalities may have actual ordinances regarding the matter)

I guess the thinking behind it is, atleast some of us take our training very seriously. Because in all honesty most of the general gun owning public barely know how to operate their weapon at the range.....let alone when someone is trying to kill them. Should that keep them from being able to protect themselves? No, but people see it as a liability issue...

Now if they actually take the responsibility seriously, thats another story. But most dont. Most buy, hide it, and expect to be able you use it when the time comes.........fat chance.

Now instead of whining like a child you could actually take action and petition your representatives for a change in gun laws in your state (some liberal hell hole im sure)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier