Fire Extinguishers

Want to add one to my Rubicon. Any recommendations? Looking at H3R, the non-Halon versions, and mounting a 2.5 pound to my rollbar.

dstefan

Dittio ^^
I have one in the camper and one in the cab. Haven't used, and hope I don’t, of course. Really like the form factor and fact they don’t make a toxic mess.

Hmmm, they also have a small range, require you to be close to the fire to reach it, and are not rechargeable. As a former firefighter, I’m very leery of those things. About the biggest benefit to them I can see is the size. As a secondary extinguisher, they look very good, have excellent time of operation but I’m just not sure using them as the primary. I would certainly consider throwing one in the Jeep to replace the small bear spray size single use extinguisher I have the in glove box.

I’m really more interested in the dry chemical extinguishers and mounts you folks may be using.

Alloy

Element work if you can get close enough and there's no wind. Try them as a first go so there's no mess but they need to be backed up with a dry chemical. I've had fires reginite 3x. I had room behind the back seat so I carry 2 - 5lb.

I have a bunch of these to.

Inyo_man

Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining.
There is always a 5 pound ABC extinguisher in my rig. It is secured with Quick Fist mounts.
The ABC can be used in a large variety of situations that may occur while in the backcountry, or driving on pavement.
(Remember to recharge the unit annually, or at least take it out and "tap" it with a rubber mallet to keep the retardant from "packing down".)

Cheers

There is always a 5 pound ABC extinguisher in my rig. It is secured with Quick Fist mounts.
The ABC can be used in a large variety of situations that may occur while in the backcountry, or driving on pavement.
(Remember to recharge the unit annually, or at least take it out and "tap" it with a rubber mallet to keep the retardant from "packing down".)

Cheers
What brand extinguisher did you choose, and why? The H3R is steel canister with steel valves I believe, and thus about twice the price of a similar Amerex with Aluminum canister and steel valve.

4000lbsOfGoat

I've got a pair of 2.5 pound HalGuard H3Rs , one in the truck and one in the trailer.

The one in the truck is mounted with a Bracketeer. It's a really good mount and, at least in my case (Tacoma), keeps the extinguisher out of the way but handy when needed.

The one in the trailer is mounted with this bracket from H3. It's been rumbled around on some terrible roads and it's still solid.

billiebob

No matter what you buy, find a course on actually using it.

10 years as a volunteer firefighter we had fire extinguisher training every year....
We should have made a video, it definitely would have made Mr Bean or Just for Laughs.
No one knows how to do it right. Take a course.

No matter what you buy, find a course on actually using it.

10 years as a volunteer firefighter we had fire extinguisher training every year....
We should have made a video, it definitely would have made Mr Bean or Just for Laughs.
No one knows how to do it right. Take a course.
Thanks, but no need. Spent many years as a firefighter, safety supervisor, member of the Local Emergency Planning Committee, and American Society of Safety Engineers.

And you are right, even firefighters often don’t know how to use them! But the most hilarious things I remember happening happened a long time before GoPro’s unfortunately (or maybe fortunately!).

I ordered a 5# dry chemical H3R last night. By the way, before placing the order with H3R, I checked the shipping costs, $74.24 for the extinguisher and mount to be shipped via UPS!!!!

Ordered the exact same from Amazon, the unit price was less than $3 difference, and I have free shipping with Prime.

I would have ordered from Quadratec, remarkably even a few bucks cheaper than Amazon, but they only have the 2.5# and I wanted a 5# unit. The 5# is only $12 more than the smaller one.

Will post pics of the unit when I get it installed.

Ultima Thule

Inyo_man

Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining.
What brand extinguisher did you choose, and why? The H3R is steel canister with steel valves I believe, and thus about twice the price of a similar Amerex with Aluminum canister and steel valve.
I have Cintas extinguishers. Both in the vehicles and at home. I choose this because they have been around for "long time" and they are rechargeable (I do this annually on all our extinguishers. They have steel canisters and aluminum handles with billet aluminum heads.

Cheers

itllgrowback

I decided a while back to only use Halotron for anything I want to keep after putting out a fire (my truck, in this case). ABC is fine in your kitchen to put the fire out quickly, and insurance will go ahead and replace all your affected appliances. But using ABC on a small fire in your engine bay will guarantee ongoing corrosion and unfixable damage to places you cannot access, and will eat at your truck over time.

It should be said that I haven't experienced this myself, but there's enough info out there to convince me to spend a little more for a clean chemical that won't destroy what you've saved by using it.

I do keep an ABC in the kitchen, the work shop, the laundry room, and another in my camping gear. But the one that's easily accessible in my truck is a Halotron.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier