Fire extinguishers

Brewtus

Adventurer
I think some of y'all should do a little more research on what A,B,C,D,K (A,C,D,E,F in UK) fire extinguishers really do.

With regard to the dry chem being compacted with non-use: before you use it, turn it upside down and knock it against a tire or fender etc. once or twice. Good practice whether you regularly service them or not.

My 0.02 worth... the infrequency of vehicle fires combined with the ridiculous cost of clean agent (Halon) extinguishers just doesn't make a terrible lot of sense. A word about CO2, CO2 will extinguish flame... but if the material is still hot enough, once the cloud of CO2 is gone, it will re-ignite, especially ordinary combustibles.

For my money, a 5lb and 10lb ABC DryChem is the way to go. I would argue you're more likely to have an ordinary combustible fire in or around camp than a vehicle fire and therefore having the "A" rating will likely be more useful than whatever you'd save on a strictly BC extinguisher.

Regarding corrosion, I would argue as others have above that when things are on fire, that is your chief concern. I'm sure there is some sort of neutralizing solution you could use to clean everything to reduce the corrosion potential.

Sincerely,

Firefighter Brewtus

pyemaster

Thank you Brewtus and those who've contributed to the thread. I've opted for a 1ltr E-series water mist extinguisher in the back, and a secondary 900g BC in the front.

The E-series is good for A, B, C, F and electrical fires, the blurb is below for those interested:

Water mist fire extinguishers present ground-breaking technology. The design of the water mist extinguishers' supersonic nozzle creates a microscopic mist curtain which reduces the oxygen content (that fuels fire) around the fire, extinguishes the flames and creates a highly effective cooling blanket on the hot fuel, preventing re-ignition.

Water Mist fire extinguishers are the first water extinguishers to have an 'F' rating (deep fat fryer fires etc). These units are therefore ideal for small kitchens, small boats, garages and areas where a messy discharge would be a problem. The extinguishers have also passed the 35kV di-electrical test and contain de-ionised water (which will not conduct electricity, even in a puddle), making them safe to use on live electrical equipment.

Perfect for boats, caravans and kitchens
- Non-harmful and non-poisonous to humans and furniture etc.
- Extinguisher Rating 5F
- Can be used on class A, B, C, F type fires and live electrical equipment
- No residue after discharge
- 100% environmentally friendly
- Safe on live electrical equipment of up to 1000V: 35kV Di-electrical tested and using non-conductive de-ionised water
- CE marked and LPCB Certified
- Supplied complete with wall mounting bracket
- 5 Year Warranty
- Made in the UK

Owen

BigSwede

The Credible Hulk
My 10-lb. CO2 tank has a fixed pressure 150 psi regulator...I wonder if that is enough volume for fire fighting. Probably not, but if I fitted it with some sort of nozzle it might be useful.

[edit] in looking at the specs for commercially available CO2 extinguishers, looks like they are putting out 0.5-1.0 pounds per second, that's got to be a lot more than my regulator will put out, so the above idea is probably a non-starter.

Last edited:

rayra

Expedition Leader
Thank you Brewtus and those who've contributed to the thread. I've opted for a 1ltr E-series water mist extinguisher in the back, and a secondary 900g BC in the front.

The E-series is good for A, B, C, F and electrical fires, the blurb is below for those interested:

Water mist fire extinguishers present ground-breaking technology. The design of the water mist extinguishers' supersonic nozzle creates a microscopic mist curtain which reduces the oxygen content (that fuels fire) around the fire, extinguishes the flames and creates a highly effective cooling blanket on the hot fuel, preventing re-ignition.

Water Mist fire extinguishers are the first water extinguishers to have an 'F' rating (deep fat fryer fires etc). These units are therefore ideal for small kitchens, small boats, garages and areas where a messy discharge would be a problem. The extinguishers have also passed the 35kV di-electrical test and contain de-ionised water (which will not conduct electricity, even in a puddle), making them safe to use on live electrical equipment.

- Extinguisher Rating 5F
- Safe on live electrical equipment of up to 1000V: 35kV Di-electrical tested and using non-conductive de-ionised water
- 5 Year Warranty
- Made in the UK

Owen

So all this was just another stealth product commercial masquerading as a quest? :/

pyemaster

Nope not at all, genuinely started the thread not knowing what to go for, not having had a fire extinguisher in my vehicle for years.

Looked into it more thanks to advice on this thread and other forums, then spoke to a few companies, one of which gave me the heads up on this new type.

I have no affiliation or link to the company, just thought I'd add the details on the thread in case anyone else in a similar position was stuck in what to choose.

Looking at the details I figured this one seemed pretty versatile so I went for it and will cross my fingers. If my truck goes up in flames and this one is ineffective I'll be sure to update the thread, don't worry!

Owen

goatherder

no trepidation
For a fuel fire, foam works wonders. And it's just a pressurized can with water and an additive to make the foam. You can refill it at home.

Spray a dry-chem at a running engine and if the engine ingests that powder it is toast. Ruined. Done.

With foam you can just wash it off and fix the damage.

OCD Overland

Explorer

- Extinguisher Rating 5F
- 5 Year Warranty
- Made in the UK

Owen

I can't find any other source or company that recommends water mist extinguishers for Class B or K fires. Maybe it's just new technology, but at least the ones you find in the US are only rated A and C.

WSS

Rock Stacker
We run a AFFF suppression system in our Jeep. Also carry two 2.5 lb K units, one on each side. My research turned up that halon was not good to inhale, a no go for my families safety. The reason we went with a mounted system was that it was quicker than stopping, getting out, opening hood (adding oxy to fire) and dowsing. What if I cannot open hood (maybe The hood is pinned to ground??). Also found that the AFFF agent can be sprayed on occupants with no adverse effects. I carry the 2.5lb'ers for back up and to help others. A handy shovel does wonders at smothering fire too.

IMG_0229_zpsdagadz8b.jpg

two nozzles in engine compartment

IMG_0317_zpsv0j04rnj.jpg

IMG_0316_zpsugob5sks.jpg

One over gas tank

IMG_0276_zps1r64jp8v.jpg

Pull lever to puncture co2 cartridge and mix with additive, then tank is pressurized to push through system

IMG_0251_zps4ddklwq4.jpg

IMG_0237_zpskmdtsous.jpg

IMG_0333_zpscejpl1qf.jpg

Last edited:

comptiger5000

Adventurer
I carry a 5lb Purple K dry chem extinguisher in the Jeep. Not much use on a class A fire, but a bit more effective on burning fuel or oil (the primary concern in a vehicle IMO) than an ABC dry chem and it's less corrosive too. And class A fires can typically be handled with just water. I've been considering adding a Coldfire or other foam unit as well, but freezing becomes a concern. I've also debated swapping the 5lb unit for a 10lb high flow Purple K (same discharge time, but twice as much agent dumped).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94