fire extinguisher recommendation requested

Scoutn79

Adventurer
Subscribed...curious what people are going to recommend. I have a 2.5 lb powder extinguisher. but something that didn't make quite as much of a mess (halon?) might be nice.

Darrell

One shot

Observer
Some in previous threads have said not to bother. Spreads too fast, and if it’s behind the dash you won’t be able to put it out. Best to use the time getting out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

s.e.charles

Some in previous threads have said not to bother. Spreads too fast, and if it’s behind the dash you won’t be able to put it out. Best to use the time getting out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

interesting perspective and I do understand the philosophy behind it. I used to work with a volunteer fire-fighter. he explained how to use a small fire extinguisher this way:

1. remove fire extinguisher from bracket

2. pull pin; throw fire extinguisher into fire

3. get the hell out of the car/ building

4. call the fire department

but I still think I will get something to, if nothing else, throw at the fire.

just not sure what i'll get.

mep1811

Gentleman Adventurer
I also use the Element 50 second unit

This video shows a discussion with world-renowned comedian and car collector, Jay Leno covering some of the many advantages of Element fire extinguishers.

s.e.charles

the Element gadget looks cool*, but does anyone here have real-world experience using one? and, is my understanding the chemical reaction does not compromise surrounding materials & surfaces correct?

*fun intended

steelhd

Observer
Avoid ABC extinguishers and use BC instead. If it happens to be a small fire in the cab or under the hood and you save the vehicle the A component will get into electrical connections and completely wreck things. BC doesn't have that drawback.

NatersXJ6

Explorer
I’ve gone over completely to the Element Extinguishers in my kitchen, garage, and all cars. I really believe they are disruptive technology and will take over the industrial world someday.

I have considered starting a series of demonstration fires just to try one in real life. I’ll video if I ever do.

s.e.charles

re: Elements - hoping they are able to bridge the gap between theory & practice.

I suspect fire extinguishers are like knives in the respect that the "best one" is the one you can grab in an emergency.

krick3tt

Adventurer
I use a Kidde extinguisher. Mounted behind driver seat. Probably not the best choice based on this thread but they are everywhere and easily replaceable.

Attachments

• DSC04870.JPG
    DSC04870.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 46

davescott

Observer
Hose clamps to mount extinguisher on diagonal roll cage bar at rear of Jeep works best for my 5 lb extinguisher. Out of the way but easy to get to

Scoutn79

Adventurer
Hose clamps to mount extinguisher on diagonal roll cage bar at rear of Jeep works best for my 5 lb extinguisher. Out of the way but easy to get to

Secure but how long does it take to find a screwdriver and unscrew the clamps to get to the extinguisher?

Darrell

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ritabooke