Finding the best Bed Rack

keithh2oskier

Hi. New to Expedition Portal. Tried searching for my question on the forum and online and can't seem to see if anyone has ever done this before.

So here is my dilemma. I have a Ram 1500. I keep the bed open 90% of the time and only keep a vinyl tonneau cover when we are traveling in the winter for a few weeks of the year. The rest of the time, the bed is wide open. I just got a kayak so I need a rack. But as I am getting more into overloading I want the ability to sleep in the truck bed and be covered. Ideally a camper shell with a rack on top would be ideal but that is something I would need to leave on the majority of the time as I don't have a place to store it or easily take on and off on a whim. So a traditional camper shell is out of the question for now.

So here is my thought. Get a set of Universal Racks that I can store my kayak on top. Then get a canvas tarp that I can put on top when I am camping and bungee, or ratchet down. Has anyone ever done this? If so, how did it work out. I was even thinking of just getting some PVC that I could put onto of the rack to help give the canvas some bow in the even there was rain/snow. I know this wouldn't be a 100% dry setup but as far as I can tell this is the best situation I can think of given all my other constraints.

Happy Overlanding!

Ducstrom

I had similar issues; needed a truck bed but also a rack to carry kayaks.
I went with the Thule exsporter, actually bought the same rack a second time after the first truck sold with the rack attached.
Leave it down unless I had long items and it served as a good bar to tie things too, think short headache rack. The rack removes entirely to allow me to get the dirt bikes in the bed and then I'd lock it down over the back of the bikes adding to the diffeculty if someone wanted to try and get them out. I set up a 2 person tent in the back of the truck several times and put a tarp over the racks as a rain fly. Was a good set up
They are a little finiky to get set up right the first time and can be a bit wobbly when raised with weight on them. I used to brace them by crossing 2 ratchet straps in an x on the one rack closest to the cab when they were loaded and I had to hit the highway.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior