Finally got to test the trailer out on rough trails

XJBANKER

Explorer
We spent four days in the San Rafael Swell. There were some dirt roads that we could travel at 50mph and then there were some that required some technical driving skills and low range.

CopyofSanRafaelSwellMay2010133.jpg

CopyofSanRafaelSwellMay2010098.jpg

My friend DaveW picked his compact up the weekend before the trip

Copy2ofSanRafaelSwellMay2010069.jpg

SanRafaelSwellMay2010266.jpg

SanRafaelSwellMay2010260.jpg

Gabby loved playing in the dirt and I loved keeping her in the shade so we were both happy with this setup

nwoods

Expedition Leader
Don't tease us man! What are your thoughts, impressions, lessons learned and improvements to make as a result of this trip...?

XJBANKER

Explorer
I was a little worried about taking Gabby for four days away from mom (she was staying home with the new baby). She was awesome. She did not cry, wine and seemed to have a great time. It helps that she has been asking to go camping since our last trip non stop. She started to cry when we got off the exit to go home because she wanted to go back to camping.

Things I learned about the trailer is that I need the tounge to be longer so I can access the back of my jeep. I want to add a max coupler on it as well. I added lights inside the tent and it made a world of a difference. I did not have to get out my flashlight inside at all and that was great.

We changed camps every night so I had to set up and take down the tent over and over. It went quickly but is a lot easier with two people. I took a nasty fall before the trip and messed up my arm pretty good so at times it was hard to handle by myself. But as my arm felt better set up and take down was a lot easier. We had two really windy nights and one of them i thought the tent was going to lift off and blow away, but it stayed put all nigh and I was very impressed with the way it held up to mother nature. It was harder to pull in the deep sand without getting the rpm's up but I got through ok and still had lockers front and rear that I never had to use.

I would like to rig up a way to monitor how much water is left in the tanks. I ended with plenty but when you are a long way from anywhere your brain works in conservation mode and it would be nice to know what you have to use.

Overall the this trip sold me on the idea of having a trailer that can follow me where I want to go. Everything was more organized and the jeep felt cleaner and more comfortable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior