Finally got myself a Gen 2.5, now, major maintenance update time.

TNMontero

Old Monty fan
Picked up a 99 a week ago. In great shape for the most part. 155k miles, lived in TN all it's life, no rust, runs pretty good, and the PO did a Timing belt, WP, tensioner, Cam seals, valve cover gaskets right before he sold it. See the receipts for work below. Can't verify if they are OEM parts so they will be changed out, after the other items are updated as well.

I've gone through most of the forums, including the Parts numbers thread here, and the Gen 2.5 quickstart guide on ADD Forums. Help me make sure I don't miss anything on updates:

1) Normally the WP/Timing Belt would be at the top of the list, but those were just changed. Even if not OEM, that will buy me a month or two while I sort out the rest.
2) Cam seals and Crank seals were also changed, not sure if OEM or not. Those will get done with WP/TB.
3) Crank Bolt - will change out the crank shaft bolt once I source one from OEM.
4) Alternator - took a dump when seller brought it to me, not sure for how long. But factory alternator covered in oil from Valve covers leaking. Getting it refurbished for higher amperage if possible.
5) Valve cover gaskets, were also just changed, but again, can't verify OEM. They are thin and black, so no Fel-Pro.
6) Electrical wiring update with new battery cables for better connections and grounds. Removed the battery and the terminal bolt broke off from corrosion.
7) Flush engine and fuel injection with SeaFoam and then fresh oil.
8) Transmission and Rear diff had new fluid installed 75w-90 gear oil. Not sure of brand. Done at PO's service. Will look into what fluids I need to run and do a full flush or both front and rear diffs, and tranny and t-case.
9) Tons and tons of little things.
- Oil guage not functioning, will check sender and then gauge
- Shocks are shot to hell. May replace now or replace later when a 1.5" lift would be desired with new wheels and tires.
- Bushings? I'm assuming all my bushings are shot as well, but can't find a good source with bushings in stock. ADD seems to have a pretty long lead time.

What else should I do to get this thing mechanically up to date? Windows, sunroof, doors and such will be done after when the interior is being gutted for new carpet and Noico mat. I need to get this thing almost 100% reliable driveability before I worry about the frills and appearance.

ThanksIMG_6462.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_E6485.JPG
    IMG_E6485.JPG
    1.9 MB · Views: 27
  • IMG_E6486.JPG
    IMG_E6486.JPG
    2 MB · Views: 26

PacS14

Adventurer
Nice looking Montero! Well it seems you are well aware of the initial maintenance these vehicles need most of the times due to lack of records so you are good, everything else will be an upgrade that you can tackle later on, on the suspension side if I could go back in time, I would just buy once, cry once, or do it once, do it right, however you want to look at it, I put monomax shocks in mine and I really liked them at first, but now I need to replace them again and I don't really abuse my Monty as far as off-road use, so now I'm looking into the blistein shocks.

Salonika

Monterror Pilot
It's helpful for us in the Montero community to know sale prices, if you could please share. Thanks!

TNMontero

Old Monty fan
It's helpful for us in the Montero community to know sale prices, if you could please share. Thanks!

That's also my business, not yours. Thanks. I'm all for helping, and those in the forums I'm members of know that, but I choose my level of obligation.

PacS14

Adventurer
That's also my business, not yours. Thanks. I'm all for helping, and those in the forums I'm members of know that, but I choose my level of obligation.

If you don't want to share yes is up to you, no need to feel like they are asking for your personal address or anything like that, that type of information just helps to see what the market looks like nowadays, if you read other threads on members tackling big projects a common question is "how much did you spend on that?" And it helps others to know (at least material wise) how much they might be spending if they decide to tackle such job. Either way welcome again hopefully you stick around and share some of your progress and adventures with the rest of us as well that's what forums are for...sharing.

Sedonut

Adventurer
I always find it funny that people ask for help, "What else should I do to get this thing mechanically up to date? ", but don't want to share something useful like what the market value might be.
Here, give me free advice. I will give you nothing. But I say I'm all for helping. No thanks.

No one is going to buy it out from you unless you want to sell it. You have no risk in sharing market information.

TNMontero

Old Monty fan
Nope, edited. Not going to start a pissing match.

I have no problem sharing details, project information, specs, etc. But my money is my business, just how I was raised. And seeing as there wasn't an Ex-po forum when I last had a Montero, yeah I'm coming in blank slate. But on other forums, I've helped people in more ways than you can count. I've gone and looked at vehicles for strangers. Towed people home two states away that I had never met before. Took an entire project apart just to document how to do it because it became popular and needed information. So yes, I may not follow the norm, but I do come with good intentions.

Cheers.

Last edited:

plh

Explorer
basically a depreciating asset. After a year or 2 unless you are a flipper, initial price paid is meaningless. You will have more into it than it is worth. Market value? Whatever the next guy will pay. Bank value - essentially KBB. Want to know more? Searchtempest.

raysobi

Adventurer
Let’s just take a breather and I think no one is in the wrong here.

I had been active in this forum going into 4 years, and a build thread with many people asking all kind of questions.

99% of the people in Mitsubishi section are bunch of nice folks, and had been nothing but helpful and supportive.

Money will always be sensitive questions, and I respect that. I think it really come down to how it was asked and how you replied.

When someone asked me how much I spent, most of the time I will reply in the thread, but if I don’t feel comfortable (which happened) I would PM that person with my answer (not necessary give that person the price info.)

Let’s just start over, we are all Montero lovers here.

Can’t wait to see more updates!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

jeep-N-montero

Expedition Leader
Nope, edited. Not going to start a pissing match.

I have no problem sharing details, project information, specs, etc. But my money is my business, just how I was raised. And seeing as there wasn't an Ex-po forum when I last had a Montero, yeah I'm coming in blank slate. But on other forums, I've helped people in more ways than you can count. I've gone and looked at vehicles for strangers. Towed people home two states away that I had never met before. Took an entire project apart just to document how to do it because it became popular and needed information. So yes, I may not follow the norm, but I do come with good intentions.

Cheers.

I'm in the same boat, I keep my financials to myself as well. The market is so skewed anyway that what you paid for it becomes irrelevant.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles