Finally finished my "not drawers" cargo solution for the GX470 that mounts to the 3rd row seat mounts...

amongmany

TL;DR: Check it out here.

When I purchased my GX, I knew that I wanted some sort of storage solution for the cargo space. I have zero need for the 3rd row seats and I like the idea of tucking gear out of site as my rig is street parked. My original plan had been to build a set of drawers, but I was consistently bothered by the amount of space taken up by the frame. And the build process seemed like more than I wanted to deal with (not daunting, just not something that excited me). So I started measuring and sketching to figure out some other options.

Here's what I ended up with:
58FB2A7D-3F22-432A-B8D5-31515D5DEFC6_1_105_c.jpeg
48A7ECF1-7E10-4C5F-8CAD-DF37B2F5F5CF_1_105_c.jpeg
117CE3C5-5EF7-4842-B585-BCE0C40FE231_1_105_c.jpeg

highwest

Awesome. The available sleeping space in a GX/4Runner is longer than a long bed Tacoma, after you figure how to get it flat. This is one really nice approach to that... not sure if that was your goal, but it’s really great looking.

amongmany

Awesome. The available sleeping space in a GX/4Runner is longer than a long bed Tacoma, after you figure how to get it flat. This is one really nice approach to that... not sure if that was your goal, but it’s really great looking.

Most definitely was part of the goal in this build. We usually use a ground tent, but I like the option of being in the truck if need be.

BigSwede

The Credible Hulk
Very nice. I prefer this to drawers, to be honest. Much more efficient use of space, even if on occasion you have to reach back under there for something.

amongmany

Very nice. I prefer this to drawers, to be honest. Much more efficient use of space, even if on occasion you have to reach back under there for something.

Agreed. The rear-most section flips up to allow for easier digging for buried gear. Of course, if you have a cooler or something on top, you'll still need to dig, but...

GTI-88

Can you share what materials you used and where you got them? It looks like the frame is some type of extruded aluminum channel or something like that...

Really nice and clean build, and the hinging is awesome. I would love to do something like this for the back of my alltrack and be able to store all my essentials underneath and leave them there, things like jumper cables, electric air compressor, tie downs, water, emergency blankets, etc. etc.

You could even take it one step further and easily finish the top of the wood surface with automotive carpet or even spray it with a bed liner material so stuff on top doesn't slide around as easily

Looks awesome!

amongmany

Can you share what materials you used and where you got them? It looks like the frame is some type of extruded aluminum channel or something like that...

Plans are coming soon. Drop your email at GXBasecamp.com and I'll email when they're available.

F350joe

Nice. I did something similar but just used pipe fittings and took out the 60 section on the 60/40. With the front seat all the way forward in can stretch out my 6’4 self. I’m only 8” high but can get a ton of stuff under there. D8EA89E1-A3FD-4877-9A4A-B1F47D444F37.jpeg

TrailTestedMFG

Wow this is such a simple solution and well executed. I think this will be a future project for Courtney's 470! Thanks for sharing.

amongmany

Wow this is such a simple solution and well executed. I think this will be a future project for Courtney's 470! Thanks for sharing.

My pleasure. Plans will be released in the next few weeks if you're interested. Drop your email here and I'll send out a notification when they're done.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles