Finally...cleared customs

mongosd2

Adventurer
Frame is solid, chassis has some typical rust for a 1983, but it not a rust bucket.

Yep, will be the tow rig for the pos d2.

Thought it was a hicap, oh well, still cool and will be driving it back monday...

Viggen

Just here...
Frame is solid, chassis has some typical rust for a 1983, but it not a rust bucket.

Yep, will be the tow rig for the pos d2.

Thought it was a hicap, oh well, still cool and will be driving it back monday...

I like these as you can get the van sides and a roof and make a three door if you ever wanted. Yours is much more flexible than an HCPU.

Nonimouse

Cynical old bastard
Whoever re-engined it will have looked at the chassis

Is it a disco 200Tdi or a defender 200tdi and which suffix is the box. DId they upgrade the rear axle form drums or not - if not don't bother just fit a post 1990 servo

mongosd2

Adventurer
200tdi from a disco,"H" lt77
I have all the parts to convert it to rear disk brakes, which I'll do almost immediately...

Dave Legacy

Adventurer
Actually, that was my first reaction, too. Then I got curious and looked it up in wikipedia:

Gray market doesn't mean illegal, it just means it wasn't intended for this market. That's not necessarily a bad thing, but the marketing machine may try to make us thing it's bad, and even illegal. It probably means you won't get a factory warantee, but I doubt that's an issue on a '83 truck...

Great find on the truck! Are you going to post up more pix?

That's kinda what I meant by Gray Market in the sense that it wasn't a USDM model and nor was the motor. In CA they require stuff like official crash test data for legal, long-term, registration. I don't know how familiar you are with the earlier Nissan Skyline GTRs, but they are a nightmare to legalize in CA.

Because this is a 1983 I think it would be exempt from most of that stuff, right? I'm not being critical of this purchase, don't get me wrong, I'm just incredibly interested in the process. I'm not too aware of the laws in AZ, but I know some states are more relaxed than others. I know there are people in CA with similar trucks and I think the common factor is 1983 models.

FWIW I'm really looking forward to seeing this build get underway. =)

mongosd2

Adventurer
That's kinda what I meant by Gray Market in the sense that it wasn't a USDM model and nor was the motor. In CA they require stuff like official crash test data for legal, long-term, registration. I don't know how familiar you are with the earlier Nissan Skyline GTRs, but they are a nightmare to legalize in CA.

Because this is a 1983 I think it would be exempt from most of that stuff, right? I'm not being critical of this purchase, don't get me wrong, I'm just incredibly interested in the process. I'm not too aware of the laws in AZ, but I know some states are more relaxed than others. I know there are people in CA with similar trucks and I think the common factor is 1983 models.

FWIW I'm really looking forward to seeing this build get underway. =)

Gotcha...I read about the skyline stuff. I thought that if was 49 state legal and old, it would qualify for a long term registration. Julian at globallandrovers.com, who I got my truck from, actually imported a restored 1984 110, which is for sale in Beverly Hills, 100% legal in Cali. If you have $150k lying around, it's a great truck.

I'm taking advantage of the 25 year law, but this is legal, no vin swap or any bull**** like that.

mongosd2

Adventurer
Nice. A servo upgrade is worthwhile anyway...

IRB developments here in the UK have just let out some pictures of thier new 200Tdi and 300Tdi VGT turbos here http://www.landroveraddict.com/smf/index.php?topic=391411.0

Just a sweetener

Keith from RoverTracks put a variable turbo in his 300tdi and loves it...don't have the cash right now for that, something like 2k...

thanks for the idea about the brake servo, makes sense

spikemd

Explorer
Sweet rig. Good luck with the upgrades. They are a dime a dozen across the pond, but so coveted here. Its all supply and demand...

Maryland 110

Adventurer
Sweet rig. Good luck with the upgrades. They are a dime a dozen across the pond, but so coveted here. Its all supply and demand...

??? Rover only made 7000 or so defenders (110's) in 83 and they aren't behind every bush in the Uk. The Danes, Swiss, etc are all trying to buy up and 83,84,85's that pop up on ebay as those trucks have next to no road tax in their countries. That said, focus on a decent truck on ebay UK and watch what happens and who asks questions of the sellers- its usually export questions about the frame Vin and engine numbers matching etc. Most bidding takes place via sniper software in the last seconds of auctions- kind of fun to watch.
If you drive around the UK you don't see nearly as many Rovers as you would hope. Most of the population drives crappy little econo boxes due to road tax and fuel costs. On my last trip we drove from London to Cumbria back down to Southampton and saw maybe 15 rovers out on the highway in that entire distance. So finding solid old ones worthy of shipping to the states is not a "dime a dozen" affair. Frank's truck is nice and solid with recent paint job so I'm sure he'll have it quite nice in a short time. The truck still had rotting english apples rolling around the back of it when I handed it off to him-guess the dept of agriculture inspector didn't get a chance to inspect it.....

Nonimouse

Cynical old bastard
What you forgot to add into the ingredients were:

The highest proportion of 110/90 type motors are used in the farming community, with the highest per capita being where the smallest farms are - the South West of England; Somerset, Dorset, Devon and Cornwall. Warmest part of the UK so less road salt is a bonus.

Motorways in the UK are massively overused, with speeds and driving conditions that don't suit older LR's. Go on the back roads

I live in a village of 475 folk in 170 odd houses, there are 34 landrovers, of which only 2 are D3's. There is one RRSport but he also has a '50 Series1 so he's okay. There are a couple of Series three's - one with RRC axles and a 200Tdi. 3 of the 90's are '84 and original; 2 of the 110's are 83/84 and original. Small farming community you see.

Sadly folk in the big cities have cottoned on to the fact that you folk over the North Atlantic are happy to pay big bucks for dodgy crap. And keep on doing it, time after time. Makes it worse when decent honest folk from the International Brotherhood of Land Rovers offer to help and get ignored - but such is life

glr

Observer
The truck in CA is open to Offers, we also have an import available with a Oregon title for $75,000

currently we have a large selection of importable rhd & lhd reconditioned, refurbished and rebuilt trucks available. www.globallandrovers.com

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles