Finally beginning my build! 2015 Dodge Grand Caravan

GCAdventurer

Where did I put my keys??
I had thought of one of these but i'm sure the Land Rover guys would have my head!o_O

Attachments

• stiker_camel_trophy_cutting_sticker_pintu_mobil_60_cm_jeep_o.jpg
    stiker_camel_trophy_cutting_sticker_pintu_mobil_60_cm_jeep_o.jpg
    14.8 KB · Views: 28

axcxnj

sweet build. I had a 2011 grand caravan for a few years that i setup with a bed that still allowed for the middle row to be deployed (with the bed not in use) we did many many trips in that van, the storage space was cavernous. Now we have a bit more space and a garage so we moved to a full size van..but if i had to go back to a DD/campervan, it would be a minivan no doubt.

http://goeast.ems.com/mini-van-life/

GCAdventurer

Ok so, this thing called work keeps getting in the way, can anyone relate?
Interested in a side view of the whole van with the new shoes.

How is the noise from the light bar mounted up there?

This is the best side view I have right now. As for the light bar, great concept putting it where the wind faring would go but holy crap, the noise! Sounded like a hundred banshees were after me on the highway! The faring is back on the rack and light bar sitting on my work bench. Just got a new smaller one and going to mount it under the rack this weekend with my thumbs crossed it won't be too loud. Maybe I'll get my lift installed too if there's time.

Attachments

• IMG_0703.jpg
    IMG_0703.jpg
    3.8 MB · Views: 90
  • IMG_0702.jpg
    IMG_0702.jpg
    4.3 MB · Views: 94

GCAdventurer

ab4f4eb2fcc7580178b3e91760e20610.jpg
765ddb8c43f9e72fc10ed9f285f7efcf.jpg
0fde47e7267b6efa17e8dc787307f54d.jpg

Light bar installed tonight as well as switch. Tomorrow will finish wiring. Time to take a break for the day.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: WVI

Hummelator

Adventurer
Did you have the caravan then decide to turn it into your adventure rig or did you purchase it with the intention?

GCAdventurer

Did you have the caravan then decide to turn it into your adventure rig or did you purchase it with the intention?

This is the second one I’m building. The first was more of a campsite and parking lot camper. This one will be set up similar but to be able to take on forest and back country roads better.
cce4fa149e9319c0bed30b0e566d08e2.png

Hummelator

Adventurer
This is the second one I’m building. The first was more of a campsite and parking lot camper. This one will be set up similar but to be able to take on forest and back country roads better.
cce4fa149e9319c0bed30b0e566d08e2.png

Why a caravan over one of the other vans with AWD?

GCAdventurer

Why a caravan over one of the other vans with AWD?
Reliability is a big one as this is a DD. What options are out there that’s going to give me that reliability at similar cost to owernership? The only other option for almost new would have been a sprinter 4x4 and if $$ wasn’t an issue then I would have one. The sienna is awd but rides even lower to the ground than the Caravan, so what benefit would that be? Do I really need 4wd to overland? Not that I’m going to be but people have traversed the globe with 2wd vehicles. Besides how many VW busses have been converted that are 2wd? Not all of them are Syncros. So I ask why not a Caravan?

Hummelator

Adventurer
Reliability is a big one as this is a DD. What options are out there that’s going to give me that reliability at similar cost to owernership? The only other option for almost new would have been a sprinter 4x4 and if $$ wasn’t an issue then I would have one. The sienna is awd but rides even lower to the ground than the Caravan, so what benefit would that be? Do I really need 4wd to overland? Not that I’m going to be but people have traversed the globe with 2wd vehicles. Besides how many VW busses have been converted that are 2wd? Not all of them are Syncros. So I ask why not a Caravan?
Good point. I didn’t even consider ground clearance differences. It sound s like you know where you can and can’t take It which is half the battle.
But it’s looking good so far!

GCAdventurer

Yes I know what I can and cannot do with it and I’m ok, it’s a trade off between capability and comfort as far as I’m concerned. Will have some photos next week as I’m heading out for a couple nights.

G jeep

I like this build. While driving My Mazda5 I took a scenic route in Colorado that got rough quickly. It made it fine. I know a Caravan is much more capable.

GCAdventurer

Took a little drive today up to some sand pits near me, still trying to shake down the van. The BFG KO2's worked flawlessly and never even bottomed out! We even had a bit of drama unfold infront of us. There was a guy running away from the cops and took a turn too hard, spun out and ended up in the ditch. There were 4 cruisers and a tow truck trying to pull the car out of the ditch. Took about 15 mins and then the road was all clear.

Attachments

• IMG_0755.jpg
    IMG_0755.jpg
    3.6 MB · Views: 50
  • IMG_0750.jpg
    IMG_0750.jpg
    3.4 MB · Views: 50
  • IMG_0751.jpg
    IMG_0751.jpg
    3.3 MB · Views: 60
  • IMG_0752.jpg
    IMG_0752.jpg
    4.3 MB · Views: 66
  • IMG_0753.jpg
    IMG_0753.jpg
    3.7 MB · Views: 62
  • IMG_0754.jpg
    IMG_0754.jpg
    4.2 MB · Views: 54
  • IMG_0755.jpg
    IMG_0755.jpg
    3.6 MB · Views: 56

bdog1

Adventurer
The drop floor wheelchair caravans use a 2” spacer on the front subframe mounts, should you need extra fender clearance.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles