Fiberglass truck camper build

Tonymorr

What size Tern window is that? and how was the install? I am thinking of doing the same thing.
They are 550mmx1100mm. Install was very easy. Hardest part was cutting the ribs out and then the hole. Went easier than I thought with an oscillating tool and carbide cutter.

Robsled

OK thanks, you got the biggest one! I like those overhead storage too but $400 USD each is a lot for me with exchange and shipping to canada! Plus I have to source L track here too. Gave me a good idea though to repurpose some wheeled rectangular duffel bags that I already have to do something similar.

Tonymorr

OK thanks, you got the biggest one! I like those overhead storage too but $400 USD each is a lot for me with exchange and shipping to canada! Plus I have to source L track here too. Gave me a good idea though to repurpose some wheeled rectangular duffel bags that I already have to do something similar.
Ya, windows might be a little too big. They sure do provide nice view though :) The overhead storage were a bit overpriced but really easy to install and quickly removable if needed. They fit so perfectly too!

Robsled

Ya, windows might be a little too big. They sure do provide nice view though :) The overhead storage were a bit overpriced but really easy to install and quickly removable if needed. They fit so perfectly too!

Yeah the overhead storage and the windows Look awesome!!

jrubicon

Hi Tony, thanks, ive talked to Composite turck body, they said it is the same manufacturer as spacekap that is why they are identical. they quoted me $8k+ for a new short Diablo, but they are in east coast, i gues at least its in US.

where are you located? do you contemplate selling yours?

spicyrt

Hey jrubicon — did you ever pull the trigger from CTB? Sounds like you were quoted the same as from spacekap direct. Curious how they were to work with. I’m in the market for this shell and they’re a close option for me.

rtlltr

tonymorr,

Nice build. Im about to do the same. 8' Diablo, and going to build a 7X14 trailer into a toy hauler to have expandable needs filled. Sent you a PM with my info. Would like to connect with you.

I just finished rhino lining the entire outside as I couldn't live with the white color.

I'll start a build thread shortly as I would love to get insight from the talent in here.

Factory218

So I took the plunge and ordered a new Composite Truck Body 335CS fiberglass shell. (As far as I can tell it is identical to a SpaceKap Diablo). The idea is to keep the interior very minimal and therefore light. I only got a few options: Rear windows, front sliding window, MaxxAir roof vent, and integrated back up camera. I'm pretty happy with the build quality and the weight is pretty close to advertised even with the added options. It came in at 780 lbs on my shop scales. My tailgate that I removed had the step in it so it was pretty heavy at 88 lbs. So I only added 692 lbs so far. Now I need to start brainstorming what the interior will include. I already have an ARB 50 qt fridge/freezer, Inergy Kodiak Solar Generator, and 2 Sunpower 100W flexible solar panels. The next thing on the list is an extendable bed in the cabover and a vinyl wrap because it's just too much white! Here's a couple of pics. More to come....

View attachment 437274

View attachment 437273

The truck is a 2017 F150 302A 3.5 Ecoboost 10sdp with max tow
Excited as about to pull the trigger on a used one and great to see someone is doing just as I was thinking . This has so many benefits to list about custom building these between fuel efficiency , small and compact to use it all the time and not just special occasions . Looking forward to following this build !

Factory218

Tony!

did you put a plywood under the bunk bed or is the mattress directly on the fiberglass shell? when i bough the used unit...they had a big 3/4 plywood on the cabover but it was use for tools etc. It really seems solid and i would not mind saving the weight and cost of a plywood sheet if it s not needed!

today got 2 window in! a small kitchen countertop and a foldable bed! should be ready to go for a trip in 2 weeks!
Should upload a few pics !

ATskier

As I already have a cabover camper, I have been looking for something more like a minimalist weekender that would keep me warm, dry, store skis, and sleep one comfortably, two ok.

Went with the non-cabover version of the SpaceKap. Ran two twin bends NS, with the passenger side hinged to be a bench/table most of the time. Propex with sealed off propane box under driver bunk. Zamp 90W panel feeding GoalZero lithium 400. Everything picked up used, so inexpensive to build out.

I am extremely happy with the tight fit to my '06 duramax, the hold down system, the barn doors, the interior space, and the mpg. Averaging 18.5.

For comparison, on same truck, Hawk, 15.7 mpg, Caribou Lite 15.3 mpg, Lance 825 14.7 mpg, and current Panther 7.5, 15.2 mpg. Yes, I am a camper addict. Those are over a 14 year period.

Also, the SpaceKap is a lot more spacious than either a Hawk or a Caribou Lite with the top down.

20200414_012807742_iOS.jpg

20200414_012221138_iOS.jpg20200414_012227310_iOS.jpg20200414_012256299_iOS.jpg20200414_012309944_iOS.jpg

Last edited:

mobydick 11

As I already have a cabover camper, I have been looking for something more like a minimalist weekender that would keep me warm, dry, store skis, and sleep one comfortably, two ok.

Went with the non-cabover version of the SpaceKap. Ran two twin bends NS, with the passenger side hinged to be a bench/table most of the time. Propex with sealed off propane box under driver bunk. Zamp 90W panel feeding GoalZero lithium 400. Everything picked up used, so inexpensive to build out.

I am extremely happy with the tight fit to my '06 duramax, the hold down system, the barn doors, the interior space, and the mpg. Averaging 18.5.

For comparison, on same truck, Hawk, 15.7 mpg, Caribou Lite 15.3 mpg, Lance 825 14.7 mpg, and current Panther 7.5, 15.2 mpg. Yes, I am a camper addict. Those are over a 14 year period.

Also, the SpaceKap is a lot more spacious than either a Hawk or a Caribou Lite with the top down.

View attachment 579418

View attachment 579414View attachment 579415View attachment 579416View attachment 579417
Hi I am building out the same top as yours . put in 1.5 in /R7.5 of insulation and full plywood inside ,I added 2 feet down the center of the roof so I can stand up inside . I will post some pictures if I ever learn how !!

jrubicon

Hey jrubicon — did you ever pull the trigger from CTB? Sounds like you were quoted the same as from spacekap direct. Curious how they were to work with. I’m in the market for this shell and they’re a close option for me.
sorry for the late reply, actualy forgot my password, i want a diablo or spacekap but too far to get it to CA. i have a camper TravelLite but i want something that is more durable and not all wood. if i find a diablo 6.5 for a good price, id be more motivated

jrubicon

View attachment 442075

Find this one this morning for 1500$. it s a rare 6.5 feet old generation spacekap plus. should make a good starting point for a little fun camper! I still need to lower it in the box with a proper platform and remove the tailgate. Around 550lbs currently! 400km with it this morning and the mpg is around 16.5mpg in the mountain. once lowered, with removed ladder rack, i should be in the 18-20mpg!
where are you? can I buy the spacecap from you?????

ITTOG

Hi I am building out the same top as yours . put in 1.5 in /R7.5 of insulation and full plywood inside ,I added 2 feet down the center of the roof so I can stand up inside . I will post some pictures if I ever learn how !!
Surely by now you figured out how to add pics. I would love to see them.

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk

mobydick 11

Surely by now you figured out how to add pics. I would love to see them.

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk
Sorry but I have not . I don't even know what a URL is . I figure when I am done I will get someone to help me do a build post . I can send pictures from my I phone if you give me a number to send it to . I am retired and worked with my hands all my life not computers .Sorry about that

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles