Fiberglass truck camper build

Tonymorr

I have thought about a small window on each side. I'm still getting a feel for my inside layout. It's working pretty good so far the way it is. At this point I can change anything that I want. Once I put windows in I will have less flexibility. To answer your question: I haven't heard any noises that I need to identify yet but I also haven't had to sleep in a parking lot yet. Wilderness noises don't worry me as much as urban ones would! I'm not sure how stealthy a camper it would be now but a couple of windows would certainly make it less stealthy.

erstwild

@Tonymorr This is great work! I am planning on building something very similar and glad to see that this is working out for you. I'm planning on getting a 2018 F-150 regular cab, 8ft bed, max payload pkg, FX4, and SpaceKap Diablo 8 Foot (with 1-2 inch of closed cell foam insulation option from factory). Pretty similar interior goals as well. Out of curiosity if you don't mind, what is the interior width when it gets to the shelf height above the bed?

vintageracer

To Infinity and Beyond!
It appears you removed one vertical side wall brace from the shell on both sides for the installation of the upper storage bags the side windows.

Is this correct and if so how did the side wall brace removal process go?

Tonymorr

It appears you removed one vertical side wall brace from the shell on both sides for the installation of the upper storage bags the side windows.

Is this correct and if so how did the side wall brace removal process go?

I did remove the side wall brace where the window is but left it above the window. It was pretty easy to remove (after I got over the anxiety of hacking apart my expensive shell). These are available with windows and side doors so I wasn't worried about removing a section myself. I used an oscillating cutter with a carbide blade and it worked fantastic. It worked so well that I used it to cut the actual window opening. Here is what the cutter looks like:

The narrow tips of the cutter work great for making the radius corner cuts.

For reference here are some Spacekaps with windows and doors:

Attachments

• 1556653903226.png
    1556653903226.png
    56.9 KB · Views: 85

Tonymorr

What size is your truck bed? This idea looks fantastic!
Nice work and progress.

Thank you. My truck has a 6 1/2' bed. These shells are made to fit anything with a 6 1/2 bed so they fit better in some than others. From the pics I have seen they seem to fit Super Duty Fords the best. They have a 6 3/4 bed so it doesn't hang out as much and the space between the cab and the shell seems minimal.

Jo_Duval

Observer
How much room is in the over the cab space? Kids only or can an adult fit there?

They made some 10ft one for the phone company here I’d love to get one of those versions and do something similar to yours.

Danm7890

Very simple yet effective camper. Makes me want to scratch my whole build and go the simple route to get it done asap haha. Keep posting!

Tonymorr

How much room is in the over the cab space? Kids only or can an adult fit there?

They made some 10ft one for the phone company here I’d love to get one of those versions and do something similar to yours.

The widest part of the cabover is 70" and then it tapers down a bit from there. I have a foam mattress in that space and have slept up there but I wouldn't want to do it all the time. (I'm 71") It's more for "overflow" sleeping just in case.

Tonymorr

Very simple yet effective camper. Makes me want to scratch my whole build and go the simple route to get it done asap haha. Keep posting!

Thanks. Simple and effective is the goal. I started with just the beds and started using it. Deciding what works and what I need as I go. I still have to post pics of the bathroom, shower, and kitchen. Maybe I'll make a video.

Waday

This is great. Thank you for taking the time to post, this is exactly what I’m looking to build.

Have you found any examples of anyone doing this with an 8’ unit on a 6’6” bed? Would limit your trailer options of course.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles