Fiberglass truck camper build

Tonymorr

So I took the plunge and ordered a new Composite Truck Body 335CS fiberglass shell. (As far as I can tell it is identical to a SpaceKap Diablo). The idea is to keep the interior very minimal and therefore light. I only got a few options: Rear windows, front sliding window, MaxxAir roof vent, and integrated back up camera. I'm pretty happy with the build quality and the weight is pretty close to advertised even with the added options. It came in at 780 lbs on my shop scales. My tailgate that I removed had the step in it so it was pretty heavy at 88 lbs. So I only added 692 lbs so far. Now I need to start brainstorming what the interior will include. I already have an ARB 50 qt fridge/freezer, Inergy Kodiak Solar Generator, and 2 Sunpower 100W flexible solar panels. The next thing on the list is an extendable bed in the cabover and a vinyl wrap because it's just too much white! Here's a couple of pics. More to come....

Truck Cap 1.jpg

Truck Cap 2.jpg

The truck is a 2017 F150 302A 3.5 Ecoboost 10sdp with max tow

Last edited:

Jonnyo

Observer
where did you buy it? i m asking as i see your unit is ''rebranded'' and they took the Spacekap and Diablo name off from the unit. Those are made in montreal and great little unit. lots of them for sale used in canada in the 2-3k range and they make for great platform for small camper.

if you do cold camping.... a good idea if to insulate them as the fiberglass will quickly sweat and be full of water if you keep it warm inside while uninsulated.

adding window on the side is super easy also!

i had the same trick as you but 2012 and i was getting great mpg with this cap on...

Tonymorr

where did you buy it? i m asking as i see your unit is ''rebranded'' and they took the Spacekap and Diablo name off from the unit. Those are made in montreal and great little unit. lots of them for sale used in canada in the 2-3k range and they make for great platform for small camper.

if you do cold camping.... a good idea if to insulate them as the fiberglass will quickly sweat and be full of water if you keep it warm inside while uninsulated.

adding window on the side is super easy also!

i had the same trick as you but 2012 and i was getting great mpg with this cap on...

I purchased from Composite Truck Body out of Connecticut. They wouldn't come right out and say that it was a SpaceKap but it is pretty obvious. To clarify - this shipped directly to me from the factory in Quebec. It was a slightly better deal than the SpaceKap brand. It was just a little more than 2-3k ;-)'

If there is one thing I have learned from owning RV's it's that you don't always use them exactly like you initially thought you might. That's why I'm selling my 27 foot toy hauler and going with this unit plus a 7x14 enclosed trailer. Basically a 2 room setup that can be used independently. I'm going to take it slow and adapt them to how I end up using them. I do have a couple of Dometic dual pane windows in mind. Here'e the optional caboose.

Trailer 1.jpg

Last edited:

mrblah

Observer
That's 100% my plan.

They just don't build any shells (either Maranda or spaceKap) with a big enough overhang to sleep in.

Do you have a floor plan sketched out?

Do you plan on taking the truck bed off and replacing it with a (potentially) lighter and roomier custom bed?

Very excited to see someone go the same way I'm planning to!

JimmyHall

Nice, Built like a racing yacht. Have you mounted jack brackets (both front and rear) . And what is the standard you had used for lightning.

Jonnyo

Observer
spacekap.JPG

Find this one this morning for 1500$. it s a rare 6.5 feet old generation spacekap plus. should make a good starting point for a little fun camper! I still need to lower it in the box with a proper platform and remove the tailgate. Around 550lbs currently! 400km with it this morning and the mpg is around 16.5mpg in the mountain. once lowered, with removed ladder rack, i should be in the 18-20mpg!

Tonymorr

i like it...clean and simple. is the cabover bed for a kid? i m painting the inside of mine and will start building bed and shelving. but very much like you, i want to keep it utilitarian...simple and to be use as camper and cargo box!

The cabover part is about 70" wide. I'm about 71". If I lay slightly diagonal or on my side I can sleep up there. I'm planning a trip to Nova Scotia in June with two friends and needed 3 beds. After that I figure it will also be a good place to crawl into if I have stuff on the floor and need a quick place to sleep.

COCampin

This is great. I have the same truck and was literally putting a plan together similar to this build over the weekend. Excited to see how it works out for you. If the cabover is 70" wide, about how deep is it? Wondering if I could stuff 2 kiddos up there.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles