Fiberglass advice needed

mrfoamy

Mrfoamy
I would like advice on what type of epoxy, fabric and how many layers I need to build a water tank about 56” long x 20” wide x 10” high. I removed the rear seats from my F350 Supercab and want to build about a 40 gallon water tank that will conform to the floor. I will pump the water into my slide-in camper when the water there runs low. Being in the Styrofoam business we can make a perfect male mold in expanded polystyrene foam, fiberglass around it and then cut the tank in half to remove the mold. I assume we can bond the two halves back together. How many layers of what type of fabric do we need? For the large horizontal surfaces I plan to bond ¼” birch plywood to stiffen the flat surfaces but everywhere else we need adequate strength in the glass matrix.

mrfoamy

Mrfoamy
Can't you just dissolve the foam instead of having to cut it in half and rebond?

Yes, acetone works beautifully, but I understand it is very messy and of course, not so environmentally responsible. There is also the question of chemical attack on the epoxy tank itself. Seems best to bond the tank back together.

BBsound

Adventurer
Don't you want to make a foam mold then cast something around that, remove the foam and then fiberglass inside the cast?

If you make a foam mold then form the glass on the outside of it your tank will be too big. (depending on tolerances)

mrfoamy

Mrfoamy
Trying to keep it simple

Don't you want to make a foam mold then cast something around that, remove the foam and then fiberglass inside the cast?

If you make a foam mold then form the glass on the outside of it your tank will be too big. (depending on tolerances)

In a perfect world I would make a male master, pull a female mold, and do as you suggest, but that's a lot of extra work. I only need one part. The mold size accounts for the thickness of the finished part so the tank should be the perfect size.

highdesertranger

Adventurer
so maybe a stupid question but, you can use fiberglass for potable water? it doesn't leach bad stuff into the water? just asking. highdesertranger

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles