FGs for sale

Abitibi

Explorer
Here in Australia we often see older 4x4 trucks (Fuso and Isuzu) with low kilometers up for sale, but in our case, that mileage can be deceptive.
This is because most of these trucks are ex rural fire service trucks. Standard operation procedure for fire trucks is that when in the field they do not get turned off, so the mileage rarely ever reflects the operating hours of the engine.

My point here is that you should not just take the mileage on the clock as the sole factor. You need to find out what the truck has been used for in order to get a full understanding of what you are buying, and how much it is actually worth.
As @westyss has highlighted, in your neck of the woods a truck of this year and mileage would be considered rare and could be a really good find.
Give the truck a very close inspection, especially around the step section of the chassis, looking for any signs of cracking or corrosion. This is the main area of concern with the Fuso 4x4 models.
Well my search is over. I'm not sure yet what I'm getting into but I ended up buying a 1994 Hino Ranger double cab 4x4 with only 16k miles. It's an ex fire truck from Japan so notbthe same used seen in Australia.

It's on the larger side but I really like that there will be hardly any electronics to deal with, all mechanical. Nice 6cyl in-line (H07D) too.

Would have liked a fuso but needed the double cab and with the Fuso's doka there's not much room left for a decent camper size.

Anyway, it will be months before it gets here so plenty of time to figure out the camper part.

Thanks again Westyss, skifreak and the others that answered my earlier questions!

Cheers
David

Sent from my SM-G991W using Tapatalk

not mine but I figure I would pass it on.

SkiFreak

Crazy Person
I ended up buying a 1994 Hino Ranger double cab 4x4
If you are happy with what you buy, that's all that really matters.

I have seen some absolutely brilliant large truck expedition camper builds, but here in Australia, bigger trucks are not as popular for one main reason... they just don't fit on the majority of the tracks found in our outback, which are predominantly sculpted by 4x4 cars.

Abitibi

Explorer
Here's one I almost bought. Went to look at it, awesome truck. It had some rust but honestly not much, especially for the east coast. Well looked after and the owner Michel is a really nice guy. And that's not a bad price at all considering it already has an aluminum sub-frame and the newer style ambo box. $39cdn or under $29usd!

Located near Ottawa, Canada

20220819_133049.jpg

Abitibi

Explorer
This one is even nicer (basically brand new) but the price (cdn) reflets it. Sadly not ready for the US market for a couple years. Nice to be Canadian ;D

Cheers
David

Screenshot 2022-10-30 212846.png

Attachments

• Screenshot 2022-10-30 213122.png
    Screenshot 2022-10-30 213122.png
    3.5 MB · Views: 27

SkiFreak

Crazy Person
Nice looking truck, that red one...
Interesting to read that a 5.2 litre engine can get down to 12L/100km. My common rail 4.9 litre (FG84) uses 20L/100km!

Abitibi

Explorer
I talked to the owner of another identical truck who also mentioned getting 12L/100km so sounds consistent...

Nice looking truck, that red one...
Interesting to read that a 5.2 litre engine can get down to 12L/100km. My common rail 4.9 litre (FG84) uses 20L/100km!
well I really don't know if it's luck, but being able to have a 5.2 engine in 4x4 is a luxury,
I just paid 46,000 euros for a Fuso 3.0 engine, there were no options for a 5.2 in 4x4,
that if 12/14 liters running order according to weight on the road.

Well my search is over. I'm not sure yet what I'm getting into but I ended up buying a 1994 Hino Ranger double cab 4x4 with only 16k miles. It's an ex fire truck from Japan so notbthe same used seen in Australia.

It's on the larger side but I really like that there will be hardly any electronics to deal with, all mechanical. Nice 6cyl in-line (H07D) too.

Would have liked a fuso but needed the double cab and with the Fuso's doka there's not much room left for a decent camper size.

Anyway, it will be months before it gets here so plenty of time to figure out the camper part.

Thanks again Westyss, skifreak and the others that answered my earlier questions!

Cheers
David

Care to share the listing or some pics? I looked very closely at the late 90's Rangers when I bought my Dyna/Dutro (also a JDM firetruck with only 11k kms). I was forced in the end to go with the narrower body series because of the size of overseas tracks, which SkiFreak already pointed out drives vehicle size choice dramatically in other parts of the world. Where I am and plan to operate for some time, it's 70 series on 7.5r16 tires that are making the tracks, plus I had a tight shipping requirement.

Abitibi

Explorer
I'm sure I'll loose a mirror at some point on our Canadian trails but most trails I go are usually large enough.

And here's my new truck, nice and shiny!

Although it doesnt include Hino this section is described as Japanese heavy truck. I think mine qualifies

f0414f91d65a57c5d95b3f22b1f6813c.jpg

SkiFreak

Crazy Person
One advantage of a bigger truck is that you can also have a bigger habitat on the back. :)
Getting singles for that model may be a bit of a challenge, but maybe you will get lucky and find a company that can make some for you.

Abitibi

Explorer
Yeah, those super singles are on top of my list, after ditching all the original FD gears.

lvivier

My 2018 Fuso FG4X4 is for sale:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles