FGB71 rear shocks

BigSkyBrad

Figured I would share this with the class, should someone be looking for shocks like me. One of my OEM shocks started leaking after 16000 kms, and the other has no damping, only rebound. Nearly had a heart attack when Mitsubishi gave me their price, so spent an evening trawling all the shock manufacturer's specs catalogues. The best at a price my wallet could justify was Monroe 4x4 Adventure twin-tube gas shocks to fit a Nissan Terrano-2/Ford Maverick. The OEM dimensions are comp-350mm and ext-580mm, and the Monroes are 360-595, and both have the required 16mm eyes top and bottom. The Monroes have a bigger diameter, so hopefully they are beefier and do the job well. Even the eyes are heavier gauge.

1612037151140.png

yabanja

Explorer
Give us a full report on the on road/off road performance when you are a few miles down the road! There aren't a lot of write ups on shock alternatives here. I went with fairly expensive external reservoir blisters with custom valving.

Allan

westyss

Explorer
The stock shocks are pretty useless and good alternatives are expensive, I have 4 years on some Fox shocks and they are still doing well, maybe not as good as Yabanjas “Blisters”!

Hodor

Trying to ressurect and get some more good info on here.

I called Fox this morning and they told me they don't have any technical info for commercial applications AND that if i decided to order any i most likely wouldnt get them until next summer. The more you know

Anybody know what bilstiens fit?

BigSkyBrad

If you go for the same rear one as I did (see above - Nissan Terrano 2), the Bilstein equivalent is the B6-Offroad #24-020770.

I'm now trying to find a set for the front with the same stroke lengths and attachment combo as the OEM.

Role1133

If you go for the same rear one as I did (see above - Nissan Terrano 2), the Bilstein equivalent is the B6-Offroad #24-020770.

I'm now trying to find a set for the front with the same stroke lengths and attachment combo as the OEM.

Any update on front replacements??

BigSkyBrad

I started to look into finding alternatives to the OEM fronts for the FGB71 (US-72), but got waylaid with other parts of my camper build. Now that I've been out travelling on the shockingly maintained UK roads, a new set of front shocks are definitely required.

Has anyone come up with off-the-shelf alternatives to the spindly OEM ones?

Incidentally, the Monroe D8003 that I found for the rears seem to be performing satisfactorily for what I require of them.

BigSkyBrad

Koni Heavy Track equivalent for the rear is 30-1372.

Still not found something off the shelf for the front, currently trawling through the Rancho online catalogue for something close in the dimensions.

Found these in WA, they look to be rebranded, and possibly only OEM performance spec - I was hoping for something a little upgraded. https://www.westcoastsuspension.com.au/product/40-525/

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier