FG84 Camper Build

IdaSHO

IDACAMPER
Looking good mate. Good move with the fridge vent. I think we spoke about that over at Brad's place that day. I found even better efficiency if you can swap the fan over to the vent side of the condenser so that it blows over the fins rather than sucking through them......if you have a close look at the condenser fins you should see why i'm suggesting this.

FYI, on my Dometic/Waeco marine fridge, I wired a small ultra-quiet 3-speed 12v CPU fan right into the fridge for aided cooling.

No extra electronics to figure out. Fan turns on when the fridge when the compressor turns on :sombrero:

Maninga

Adventurer
Hi Joe,

Of course it would be OK with fibreglass. You don't have to be too fussy with waste water tanks. Actually you don't even need the ply. Lay up some straight glass/coremat panels and cut to the same size as your mockup. Tag it all together with hot glue and fibreglass over all the exterior corners. Double up the thickness were you intend to fit apertures. Some fit a spinout I/P in the top for cleaning down the track.
Looking good mate. Good move with the fridge vent. I think we spoke about that over at Brad's place that day. I found even better efficiency if you can swap the fan over to the vent side of the condenser so that it blows over the fins rather than sucking through them......if you have a close look at the condenser fins you should see why i'm suggesting this.
Say hi to Heather. Kind regards John.

Hey John,

Hope you had a good Easter. Are you on break now? Heather knows more about what you're up to than I do, she follows Julie's facebook, says hello to you both.

Yeah, it was after chat at Brads I took the idea. Getting the air out is going to be a bit more fun, I'll likely have to vent at the top and use fans to draw hot air out, or externally which I'd rather not do. Packed too much stuff around it. It's like playing with a giant game of Tetris, fun, interesting and frustrating all at the same time.

Cheers
Joe

zeke steggall

Hello, don't know if you have posted a photo but is it possible to see or get an explanation on how you seal the gap between the top section and the bottom, between the walls, when the top is up? Wondering how you'd keep the heat in and the dust out if it was windy. Thanks Zeke

Maninga

Adventurer
In Canada at the moment. Like Owen said, it's a rubber seal the Styromax guys use for their moving walls. I'll take a photo if you like when I get home

Maninga

Adventurer
Hahaha. Yeah, life got in the way a bit. Still expect it'll be on the road later this year, just minus a few of the storage boxes and things like winches

rahultomahawk

Hi Maninga,
Iam Rahul from India.doing research on how to build a expedition truck.No one has yet built it in India.
Iam really impressed by your truck want to built a similar in India but in have only one choice
Wanted to ask something.
1. How do you route the wiring on the composite panel body.
2. Can u pls guide how are you doing the plumbing .
3.any links which show the wiring and plumbing part.
4.how do you fit cabinets and other stuff to the wall as the wall is made up of 3mm fibre.
Thank you
Rahul

Maninga

Adventurer
Haven't forgotten about the it, it's still sitting in the backyard. Life got in the way again, starting a diploma, training for 100k walk (next year) and some trips away, can't quite believe it's been 6 months since last real post.

I'll try and take some new photos this weekend of where it sits.

Maninga

Adventurer
I've been a bit slack of late with updating build thread and working on the truck. We've been spending a lot of time training for the walk, going away for the christmas break and we've been in negotiations to buy a winery. So just a little busy outside of the camper :eek:

Some progress has been made though.

Water pumps were put in place several months ago but finally connected to the tank. Bit overkill, but used two pumps, one for shower and one for hot water/kitchen area.
image9.JPG

Water pipes are routed through the backrest of couches. I've got 1 micron inline filters going to kitchen and shower going in, what can't be seen is a 0.1 micron drinking filter being connected to tap in kitchen.
image8.jpg

Pre-filter for connecting garden hose to main tank. I've been really hesitant to cut into the external walls of the camper, made it simple for myself to fill the tank through a hose I can leave outside. Blue hose connected to inlet is the breather/outlet for when the tank's full
image4.jpg

Close up on one side of breather arrangement for tank. I've used a 6mm hose with 2 john guest 1-way valves. Idea being, when filling the valve on the left would let air/water out, one on the right would let air into the tank as I'm using water. Think it'll be an effective way to keep bugs/crawlies out of the tank too. Time will tell how it works
image5.JPG

This was a change I had to make. One of the many lessons I've learnt during this build is haven't necessarily taken as much allowance for fittings as I need to. Whoops. Originally this was meant to go outside next to the fuel tank, but when I laid it all out there wasn't enough room with end fittings and fuel filter. So moved the hot water tank inside. Made the platform with storage underneath (think it'll be a useful place for some spare parts) and tie down hooks to keep stuff secure when moving.
image7.jpg

Platform for toilet. There's a sink going above the toilet, platform moves in/out thanks to drawer slides and a couple of rollers. Box on the left is sized to fit 8 toilet rolls, should be water proof once I add in the rubber seals to the lid. It's all removable, couple of wing nuts detatch it from some brackets glued to the wall. This was a pain to make, first time I covered it with epoxy to waterproof but it must have been off/old, 3 months later and still hadn't dried out. This is V2.
image6.jpg

I've got a new fuel tank and the grey water tank being made up for me now. Should be ready by end of the month. I was originally planning for 350l diesel, but more I thought about it the more I thought it was overkill, now it'll be 270l. Should be enough for 1500k.

Next big thing on the list is the electrical. Lots of youtube video's to watch and learning to do on this, haven't done any in a very, very long time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles