FG84 Camper Build

h.piersig

2016 Hino 195 new camper built

Hi all:
the truck chassis is purchased and is now going to UNICELL in Toronto for the installation of a 20' fiberglass box.
I would very much appreciate advise on the process and what companies are likely to insure the beast, My residence is in Toronto at the present time.
Thank you,
Henry

Last edited:

dlh62c

Explorer
I
Hi all:
the truck chassis is purchased and is now going to UNICELL in Toronto for the installation of a 20' fiberglass box.
I would very much appreciate advise on the process and what companies are likely to insure the beast, My residence is in Toronto at the present time.
Thank you,
Henry

Henry
Welcome to ExpeditionPortal.

You might consider starting a new thread on your build.

Regarding insurance, in Canada they may do insurance differently, in the U.S. getting insurance might prove problematic since the truck has a GVWR of 25,000lbs, does it not? It would be considered commercial with a rate to match.

SpudBoy

Observer
Hi Maninga - only just discovered this thread, so I've just read through all 19 pages of it. Nice build!

I see you've gone down the same road as me on a few things, like the toilet. That is an excellent little unit. We went away for 8 weeks (2 people) and only had to empty the front 'liquid' cannister. The composting bit wasn't quite full after 8 weeks, so we thought that was brilliant. We travelled up through the Tanami Desert with some people using a normal 'cassette' toilet, and they had to empty it every 3 or 4 days. NASTY job.

Cheers
David

Maninga

Adventurer
Hi David - thanks, we like how it's turned out. Have chatted with Michael about your build a few times, he came away quite energised after seeing how it turned out and be really interesting to see the next one.

Have shown your post on the toilet to a couple of skeptics, was reassuring to know it worked well. I used the shower idea from your build, think it's a great way to save water for long showers in the morning. Though I'm planning to use one of these instead of a plug.

Capture.JPG

Any bites on your truck? Are you planning to build another one?

Joe

Maninga

Adventurer
It's been a couple of months between updates I've just realised. Life, a form of build burnout and house renovations have all come between finalising it but getting back on track now.

There's been a couple of things I've scrapped and started again on, either because they didn't look good or weren't built very well in the first instance. The shower pan in particular, took a circular saw to it and redesigned how it looked used an idea from David's build. Now has a mix of redgum and cypress slats with a void underneath and a small collection basin. A Normally Open solenoid valve will be connected to the drain, switch will close it and turn on water pump to give a shower with good water pressure. As it uses the same water, my 15 minute morning shower will be so much easier to accept and should only use around 10 litres of water. Extra hot/cold water can be added from bathroom sink.

One of the pullout drawers being re-made.
image_4.jpg

We decided to paint the cabinets, Heather didn't like the plywood exposed as it was and works well for me. Plan is white overheads, a teal blue for floor cabinets, should go well with the redgum countertops.
image_2.jpg

I'd tried a few different methods of painting them. Airless spray gun I picked up was useless, hand painting didn't look good, car spray gun works well. Temporary tables set up for painting, just need a calm day with plenty of sunshine (though did think about making a small painting booth).
image_1.jpg

Doesn't show up too well in this photo. Redgum is sealed, hold cut out for the Webasto cooktop. Other holes for kitchen and bathroom sink/taps are also cut and benchtops sealed. Very hard timber to cut, burnt through a jigsaw, multiple blades and blunted a few router bits trying to get an acceptable finish. It's acceptable but I'm glad the cuts aren't going to be on display.
image_3.jpg

More to come over the following weeks.

Last edited:

DzlToy

Explorer
If you run into a situation where you need to cut a very dense or hard wood, find someone who has a water jet cutter. No blades or saws to burn up and leaves a very clean finished edge.

corrupt

Observer
Found your thread while googling sub frames. Nice build. Was looking at a full height camper using vanglass for my walls but after seeing your pop top i might give styromax a call for a price. Any updates?

Maninga

Adventurer
Thanks, I'm quite happy with the job Styromax did.

Work on it was delayed for a bit with life (holidays, falling sick again, house/family stuff) but back plugging away at it again. Been doing a bit of re-work for things I didn't like, not things that made it really different but for aesthetics and our usability instead.

After Easter I'll have some updated photos, better idea of where I'm up to now.

Joe

Maninga

Adventurer
Feels like it's been slow going the last few months, but slowly making progress. I had family come over yesterday for an Easter BBQ, put together some extra pieces of the camper to show them direction we're going in. The seats/kitchen drawers are in place, adding in seat backs and conduit to run wiring. Main water tank's in, pantry's ready to go in (just need to do some work on the actuators first) and started work on the tropical roof.

Some pictures.

Radiator on the fridge is going to be tucked away with not a great deal of airflow around it. Took a house vent and glued it to surround, this'll bring air in from main living area
image.jpeg

With ventilation host attached and in place
image_1.jpeg

Looking down fridge, kitchen drawers and one of the seats. Seat back I made up yesterday, still has to be painted, hides water filters (2 @ 0.5 micron inline for main taps/shower, 0.1 micron for drinking tap) and will have USB charger/12v chargers, maybe some uplighting also.
image_2.jpeg

Lower drawer's for a bin, room for one on top will either be kitchen stuff or shoes, depending on who gets in first. Faces are made up and painted, just need to add them in. Seat back is being made up today. Love how the benchtop came out, started out using epoxy on it, that was a mistake. Took that off, now using Danish Oil.
image_3.jpeg

I can't get far back enough for overall shot. Bed front has been covered with Cypress and oiled.
image_4.jpeg

With dining table pulled out. Goes back another ~450mm or so, gives good cantilever action. We can press down with a bit of weight, barely moves. May re-make the table in a year or so, more so to hide the slot when table's in. Keep it a rectangle, don't like how the slot looks.
image_5.jpeg

Mockup for the grey water tank. Side of the truck with the door, sits in chassis step and under stairs. It's around 100l, getting the guy's making up new fuel tank to build this (unless it would work with epoxy/fibreglass for waterproofing and strength).
image Water tank.jpeg

Overhead cabinets are sitting in the back room of the house, just need to find some jacks to lift up into place and keep them there while glue dries.

Joe

Fugly

Adventurer
Looking good ...
Progress is great ....
Won't be long now till you are out on the road.....,

Cheers Fugly....

whatcharterboat

Supporting Sponsor, Overland Certified OC0018
Mockup for the grey water tank. Side of the truck with the door, sits in chassis step and under stairs. It's around 100l, getting the guy's making up new fuel tank to build this (unless it would work with epoxy/fibreglass for waterproofing and strength).
View attachment 336963
Hi Joe,

Of course it would be OK with fibreglass. You don't have to be too fussy with waste water tanks. Actually you don't even need the ply. Lay up some straight glass/coremat panels and cut to the same size as your mockup. Tag it all together with hot glue and fibreglass over all the exterior corners. Double up the thickness were you intend to fit apertures. Some fit a spinout I/P in the top for cleaning down the track.
Looking good mate. Good move with the fridge vent. I think we spoke about that over at Brad's place that day. I found even better efficiency if you can swap the fan over to the vent side of the condenser so that it blows over the fins rather than sucking through them......if you have a close look at the condenser fins you should see why i'm suggesting this.
Say hi to Heather. Kind regards John.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ritabooke