fg649 transmission/transfer case split

Monasheemonster

Hi everyone
My first post on expedition portal. I own a ‘ ‘03 fg649. I bought It this spring for a good price because the 2nd and 3rd gear synchros were worn. We drove it a bit over the summer but I finally found the time and motivation to pull the transmission. It went fairly smoothly. Question for you: what’s the trick to splitting the tcase off the trans? I’v noticed that, unlike my bj60 cruiser, the bellhousing on the Fg is an integrated “cap” for the trans....my suspicion is that the monster lock nut on the main shaft In the tcase needs to come off before the bellhousing and tcase will separate? I’m looking forward to what you have to say.

I’m looking forward to contributing to the forum!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Aussie Iron

Explorer
Yep , remove the top plate on the rear of the transfer case. Look inside there is a large nut - remove that and the gear it holds on will come off. Unbolt the transfer case from the gear box and it should slide off.
I've not stripped a gearbox apart but it looks like unbolt bell housing and split it of the case.

Dan.

Monasheemonster

Hi guys
Sorry for the late reply. I was expecting Tapatalk to notify me if there were replies.....guess that didn’t work.
Any who. The trans is in for repair. I find out tomorrow what it will need. Parts may need to come up from the states so it could be a couple weeks till it’s back in the truck. I’m also doing the rear main seal while it’s out. The truck has been a pleasure to work on. Next up is a knuckle boom crane that’s getting mounted in front of the dump box and one day the dream would be to be able to lift off the dump and replace with camping module (and vice versa when it’s time to go back to work).

Monasheemonster

Hi again

So finally after a chaotic couple months of buyong a house and remote work stint on the coast I finally picked up the transmission and started to install. Question for anyone who has done this, what depth should the new oil slinger be set on crankshaft end? I built an installer out of a 4” piece of ABS. I don’t want to put it on too deep because of the way the oil seal meshes with it. If anyone knows please post.

Happy Canadian thanksgiving!!!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles