FG538 Super Singles in Canada

MattyShmatty

Looking for another 16" 5 bolt super single as a spare in Canada buy don't know where to get it.

Also lost a left hand wheel nut and noone seems to be able to replace it.

Anyone who can help with this I'd appreciate very much.

Thanks

MattyShmatty

Unfortunately they seem to have been provided by the same company as the super single rims that I already have and they are unique to that brand.

The lugs are stamped from outbackaccessories.com but I've emailed them a few times with no reply :(

Last edited:

Aussie Iron

Explorer
Unfortunately they seem to have been provided by the same company as the super single rims that I already have and they are unique to that brand.

The rims are stamped from outbackaccessories.com but I've emailed them a few times with no reply :(

I would get onto Earthcruiser in the States as I believe they are the agent for those wheels over there and should be able to help you.
Email to Outback Accessories should have got you an answer. I would address it " Attention ALAN ".

Dan.

MattyShmatty

I would get onto Earthcruiser in the States as I believe they are the agent for those wheels over there and should be able to help you.
Email to Outback Accessories should have got you an answer. I would address it " Attention ALAN ".

Dan.

That's Awesome, thanks I will check it out today and see what I can find.

MattyShmatty

Unfortunately there has been no luck sourcing these wheel nuts. I am having a lot of trouble... I have included some images to see if anyone out there can help.

Thanks!

Attachments

• 3888320743903939910.jpg
    3888320743903939910.jpg
    125.3 KB · Views: 36
  • IMG_20190719_131920.jpg
    IMG_20190719_131920.jpg
    745.8 KB · Views: 36

Howard70

Adventurer
As Aussie Iron suggested - try contacting EarthCruiser USA. They use a similar, but not the same, nut on their Fuso FG based trucks with aluminum rims. Otherwise you could try mounting the inner nuts of a Bud nut dually on the studs. Then mount the wheels. Then use the outer nuts of the dually system to hold the wheels. I had a system like that on an earlier FG that used a similar aluminum rim which worked well. An added advantage was that I could replace the inner nut when a tire technician destroyed the left hand threads via zealous use of an impact wrench probably set to remove right hand threads... Did not have to replace the wheel stud which saved a lot of time. Kind of miss that system!

Howard

SkiFreak

Crazy Person
As far as I am aware, all of the current Fuso wheel nuts have a M20 thread.
18.5mm is not a "standard" metric thread size, so it may be that this is a propriety thread. If you have access to a metric thread gauge I would also confirm the thread pitch.

If your studs do have a non standard thread size, your only real option may be to go to an engineering shop and have some wheel nuts custom made.
One positive is that you have a sample that could be copied, but bear in mind that most things that are custom made come at a price.

If I were making these I would use something like 4140 steel (or equivalent), which would be more than adequate for the task, then have them zinc plated.
Machining an internal thread of that size would not be overly complicated, be it left or right handed, but that would be the only option if a suitable tap could not be sourced.

SkiFreak

Crazy Person
Having a closer look at your stud measuring image, it looks like you have one leg of the caliper in the root of the thread.
Make sure that both flats of the caliper are on the tops of the thread when you take the measurement.

If the thread is in fact M20 then that makes more sense, and making custom nuts would be significantly cheaper, as the threading could be done with a standard metric tap.
Should the engineering shop not have that particular tap you could purchase one from Amazon for under $30 and make life simpler, for them and you.

Aussie Iron

Explorer
I will attempt to make a couple of phone calls (to Alan) on Monday to help you sort this out. They look to be the standard nuts that are supplied with his wheels. I believe when Canter went after FG649 that they changed wheel bolt size to 20 mm before then my measuring stick (calipers) say they are 18.5mm.
Please send your Email address to me via PM.

Dan.

MattyShmatty

Oh man, Dan I hope you're right! I appreciate all of the help and advice to everyone as well, but if you know where I can find these I'd be into buying a bunch for spares as well... I have sent you my email address.

?

MattyShmatty

As Aussie Iron suggested - try contacting EarthCruiser USA. They use a similar, but not the same, nut on their Fuso FG based trucks with aluminum rims. Otherwise you could try mounting the inner nuts of a Bud nut dually on the studs. Then mount the wheels. Then use the outer nuts of the dually system to hold the wheels. I had a system like that on an earlier FG that used a similar aluminum rim which worked well. An added advantage was that I could replace the inner nut when a tire technician destroyed the left hand threads via zealous use of an impact wrench probably set to remove right hand threads... Did not have to replace the wheel stud which saved a lot of time. Kind of miss that system!

Howard
Unfortunately Earth cruiser was of little help. They indicated that not only do they not have those nuts, but to order them is not something they are interested in as they only sell wheels and nuts on their builds now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles