FG140 (2012) preventive maintenance

Mgblandcruiser

Hi, quick intro. I bought a 2012 and all the recalls (transmission and emissions) are done. Double checked with dealer (last one rang up to $12k).

I’m in the last throes of mounting a 14 foot ambo box on pretty basic subframe with a custom between rails fuel tank to make fitting work.

I can deal with the corrosion (this unit was pretty bad) and basic stuff like re-basing the fluids and oils, tires, brakes, pcv filter (supplemental prevention) and checking the v belt.

Now my question: I want to put the chances on my side to enjoy a reliable truck (hoping that’s possible). It has 220k km. Anything I should consider getting done up front? I’ve read pretty much everything on EP and other places.

I want to get at ease with the reliability before going much further. I am quite pleased with progress and very budget friendly up to now and want to spend a bit in PM. Finally in terms of use, nothing dramatic here no intention to go beyond forestry roads and the like. Thanks in advance for your input. Michel in Quebec
31e1d49ed32565c6bd4601d07c5a13ca.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

yabanja

Explorer
Unless you have record, I would change ALL fluids-brake, antifreeze, f Diff, R Diff, Transfercase, Transmission. Inspect them all for bearing material. I then change them all again every 30,000 miles. Engine oil if due. Fuel filter. Inspect the front cv boots very carefully for weather cracking and replace if necessary. They recommend cleaning and repacking the front wheel bearings often-be careful as there is a c-clip on the hubs that is missing from the factory service manual. Get some big pliers and squeeze all steering joints to test for play. Replace as necessary. Likely the rubber bushings in your leaf springs are bad- they only seem to last a year or so. Up to you whether you want to renew them or not. Get a factory service manual and follow all recomendations.

Allan

cameronsturgess

hi Michel,
Cameron here from ontario. there are a few of us with Fuso's. I have a 2010, friends have 2012 and 2017. the 2010 and 2012 were used trucks. before we started to build on them we dealt with the rust on the chassis. POR15 with a topcoat was the most successful method. then apply wax rust proofing spray. buy a decent gun and do it yourself .. Krown guys won't spend the time to make sure it goes done properly in my experience. Emanual has the manuals for purchase. as others have said replace all the fluids. pay careful attention to the rear differential. you must use the correct oil in this. or make sure you add the correct LSD additive. if you contact Tony baker he can help you with some better suspension parts that have grease nipples and proper bearings. you can likely assume your truck idled a lot in its past life.. as such you may want to get the DPF filter pulled and cleaned before it strands you. also clean out the DPF system (the owner of the 2012 had to have this done while on route which wasn't fun.. better to do it proactively). you won't know until you open up the DPF.. the DEF is fairly easy to clean yourself. find a good mechanic and have them check off the items that need doing based on the service schedule. you may also want a tune done to the truck. happy to help connect you with a great tuner all three of us used. hope that helps.. Cameron

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior