FG Tyre experiences

We are currently travelling the Kimberley having been to Tas. from Qld.

Early on ,having just met with Bris31 ,we nuked a Toyo 608 on Oodnadatta Track. Tread and sidewall split. Long story,new tyre from Perth,fitted in Alice Springs, near enough to $800! Very difficult to find one in country.

Tyre fitter looks at old ones abd says," you know,how to check dates on the tyres,cos your old ones are 2010. ********! didn't think to look at that when I bought truck in 2015 from a well known Queensland business owner who use a lot of Toyos.

So,looks like I got the old tyres from down the back of the shed. To be balanced, we have got 35000k from them to date without a failure problem. But they are and were, old tyres. I think 5 years is the recommended max. use period.

In addition, they are hard riding, wear unevenly especially when deflated for dirt and offroad work, and by comparison, don't work as well as ither combinations in sand and mud.

The new 2018 tyre shows mych more flex at the same pressures, probably rides softer, though hard to say without a full new set and seems a lot less prone to the chipping issue as mentioned in other posts. Ill try to post a couple of images. The two tyres have covered about the same distance on the rear of vehicle. The chipped one is the old tyre that was only slightly worn when putting it on after the failure. The other is the new 2018 gold plated one. Remember same ks on same roads.

Attachments

• 20180703_100130.jpg
    20180703_100130.jpg
    970.4 KB · Views: 34
  • 20180703_100207.jpg
    20180703_100207.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 34
Oh, and Ive had an ongoing shimmy issue despite on tryck balancing. You could see the ovality on the tyres when spinning for the balance. Operator remarked as much.

And the new one,13th September 2018. Pretty sure thats right. At least the last number is the year I have been told.

Attachments

• 20180703_122828.jpg
    20180703_122828.jpg
    566.7 KB · Views: 31

Aussie Iron

Explorer
Looks to me as 1st march 2018. The start (HA1 - NH9) I would believe is a mould number. But now you also need to remember that these could have also come from different factories and therein they could also be different compound. And yes older the tyres the more chipping will be seen. Maybe more spinning on one side even, as you recon that the new tyre flexes more and would then have more grip.

My thoughts,
Dan.

gait

Explorer
week 13 is week commencing 25th March :(

my first set of Toyos were harsh when new and took about 10,000 km to soften up a bit. Second and third sets relatively pleasant from new.

PKDreamers

Adventurer
U.S. DOT TIRE STANDARD SAFETY CODE
The DOT tire identification number indicates compliance with all safety standards established by the U.S. Department of Transportation and provides additional information about the tire manufacturer.

Located on the sidewall of a tire, the complete DOT tire identification number is a combination of up to 12 numbers and letters that provide valuable information.
  • The first two numbers or letters are the plant code where the tire was manufactured.
  • The last three to four numbers represent the week and year the tire was built. The last four digits in this example, 1309, mean this tire was manufactured in the 13th week of 2009.
image-dot-full-label-r1.jpg

SkiFreak

Crazy Person
They say that you learn something new every day.
If that's the case, I can now switch off for the rest of the day. :)

Ha, back in reception. Thanks for input its getting clearer by the post...?
The new tyre seems significantly better at complementing the suspension as all tyres should.

Still aiming to replace with 17s and then a wider choice of tyres at significantly less cost. Friends of ours in Qld who have effectively the same vehicle ( ex army fg637, with ambulance body) , have been through the process of getting certification for Kim Bolton's rims and the Hankook Dynapros. Engaged an engineer who went through the full brake testing and then submitted to the national body for approval. Anyway, they now have official Qld blue mod plate for the wheels and tyres. I'm hoping to piggy back on their approval by simple paper shuffling, because ours already has the mod plate for the ATW wheels and tyres. No doubt will have to grease a palm or two as well.

While Im at it I will mention that the new Powerdown (Roadtrain/ Raw 4x4) shocks fitted prior to the trip to Kimberley, are already showing signs of loss of effectiveness. Probably only 2000k of really testing roads in all that. Was talking to a fella in Derby who was running remote reservoir rebuildable shocks and swears by them. Quick conversation I forgot to ask the brand. About 2k all up.
He too had swapped from 19.5s and Toyos to 17s and was running Mickey Thomson variant tyres.

gait

Explorer
Konis made a difference for us, softer bounce, harsher rebound, took the remaining "thump" out of the front

wildwest

Ha, back in reception. Thanks for input its getting clearer by the post...?
The new tyre seems significantly better at complementing the suspension as all tyres should.

Still aiming to replace with 17s and then a wider choice of tyres at significantly less cost. Friends of ours in Qld who have effectively the same vehicle ( ex army fg637, with ambulance body) , have been through the process of getting certification for Kim Bolton's rims and the Hankook Dynapros. Engaged an engineer who went through the full brake testing and then submitted to the national body for approval. Anyway, they now have official Qld blue mod plate for the wheels and tyres. I'm hoping to piggy back on their approval by simple paper shuffling, because ours already has the mod plate for the ATW wheels and tyres. No doubt will have to grease a palm or two as well.

While Im at it I will mention that the new Powerdown (Roadtrain/ Raw 4x4) shocks fitted prior to the trip to Kimberley, are already showing signs of loss of effectiveness. Probably only 2000k of really testing roads in all that. Was talking to a fella in Derby who was running remote reservoir rebuildable shocks and swears by them. Quick conversation I forgot to ask the brand. About 2k all up.
He too had swapped from 19.5s and Toyos to 17s and was running Mickey Thomson variant tyres.

I'm also interested in changing from ATW 19.5's to to Kym Boltons 17's.

How are they finding the 17's in comparison?

Be interested to hear about the process your friends went through to get mod plate.

Have PM'd you.

I'm also interested in changing from ATW 19.5's to to Kym Boltons 17's.

How are they finding the 17's in comparison?

Be interested to hear about the process your friends went through to get mod plate.

Have PM'd you.
They didnt have ATW wheels prior they were on the original duals 16 inch so it would be chalk and cheese.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles